What ruins a story for you?

What ruins a story for you? This is for EVERYONES opinion! Don’t get mad at people. Don’t tag authors and belittle anyone! So tell us, what ruins a story for you? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

28 Likes

Here are mine,
Bad directing, wrong grammar, and most of all a bad story plot.

27 Likes

Totally! I notice a lot of people with this ick on a story!

5 Likes

Bad directing, useless scenes, looooong dialogues, looooong chapters, bad-looking characters and outfits, author notes, pregnancy…

15 Likes

Most of well add mine!

Toxic relationships
Where the MC chooses to stay with the TOXIC PARTNER or anything that normalises toxic relationships.

Sugar daddy/ mommy relationships
(not a 5 year age gap but a 24 year age gap)

Very CLICHE stories
Not minor cliche stories but ones that EVERYONES hears about 12 times a day.

Outfit choices
But the three choices are not good for the occasion or all the outfits are the same. I don’t mind having a few of the same outfits added in every 3 outfit choices but add variety.

Really short or long episodes.
Pretty self explanatory

HORRIBLE GRAMMAR
Not like a few spelling mistakes here and there but constantly horrible grammar and spelling mistakes.

STEREOTYPES.
OMG this is honestly annoying, how some people make their characters personalities and gender roles and all that is just not it.

Gem choices
I don’t mind spending around 5-8 gems on bonus scenes or to support you but don’t give half the story with no gem choices and then suddenly pop up with a “wear this sexy outfit for 15 gems” I personally try to steer clear of the gem choice stories. I will support you as an author and pay for bonus scenes but I’d much rather wear a horrid outfit than pay 15 gems for a dress that I’ll only wear for one scene.

Normalising issues that SHOULD NOT be normalised
I have read quite a few stories that normalise racism, homophobia, s*xual assault and the list goes further whilst I will not be mentioning any users I’m concerned that this still happens. Don’t normalise homophobia or racism just because of “religion” I completely respect and understand that people have different beliefs, rules and views on things, but lets realise there’s a difference between having different beliefs or just being straight up racist, homophobic or sexist. Just respect people and don’t try to stirp away humanity.

boring conversations
It’s fine to have simple conversations between narration and between going places but add a bit of flavour, I don’t want to read and I don’t think anyone wants to read boring text. Ask the characters questions, compliment their outfits add stuff don’t sit there with ten, one line sentences.

LONG :peach: credit scenes or art scenes
At the end of your story don’t make your credit scenes unskippable and/or 1 minute long. This is a problem I see all the time where they make art, credit, intro and outro scenes EXTEMELY long there’s no need for it. If I want backgrounds and overlay users I’ll pause for it. If I want to see your art scene again I’ll pause for it, pay to see it again or replay the story.

Added some more I agree with.

29 Likes
  • A story with no direction, and you don’t know where the story is headed and you don’t know what direction the characters are headed in.

• A story with a dissatisfying ending.

12 Likes

*Bad directing.
*When the characters fall in love too quick
(Makes me so mad)
*The “popular mean girl with two minions” cliche.
*When literally all the guys are 7 feet tall and The MC (me) is like 5’4/5’2
(It just not realistic, there are short guys in the world too and there are tall girls)

23 Likes

Predictable stories, (stories with):

• mean girl that hates MC for no reason and tries to mingle into the relationship between MC and LI;
  • alley creeps in stories that harasses MC for no reason (or s*xual intentions);
  • MC and LI falling in love instantly;
  • mafia stories where MC tries to change a criminal LI (yes LI is a criminal, because he killed people (innocent people or not innocent, killing people is still murder!);
  • the standard mean girl drugs the MC at a party, to show the LI that MC isn’t trustworthy (come on, drugging people is also a crime!);
  • stories that are totally against the LGBTQ+community or supports racism;
  • stories with comments like: ‘he was shaped like a god’, ‘his abs made me feel something inside my body’, ‘are you lost, baby girl?’;
  • stories with really bad spelling, some words are killing the vibe to read further: rogue/rouge, sweetie/sweaty, we’re/were, you’re/your. I am not an English native speaker/writer myself, but when I am not sure about spelling I do a research and check the internet for reassurance;
  • And like @Goji said right: bad directing, wrong grammar and a bad story plot. :wink:
20 Likes

Art scenes. I’m sorry but I can’t stand them.

18 Likes

Me too :sob::sob::joy:

9 Likes

Bad directing
Wrong grammar and a bad story plot

5 Likes
  • Unbearable cliches.
    The bad boy treats his crush and others poorly because he has mommy issues and his father beats them. :pleading_face: It’s not his fault. :pleading_face:

• Bad directing.
    My character should not be teleporting or moving across the screen without a walking/running animation.

• Lack of diversity
    How hard is it to make your characters anything other than white?

• Unnecessary gem choices
    No, I will not give you 30 gems to make my character stand up to her bully! Is it Episode: Choose Your Story or Episode: Pay to Make Good Choices? :woman_facepalming:t5:

• Limited CC because of art scenes.
    I don’t mind reading a story without/with limited CC, but I can barely customize my character because of 30 second CLICHE art scenes? Okay lol :woozy_face:

• Love at first sight
    I understand being attracted to someone when you first notice them, but head over heels IN LOVE? No relationship build-up? Booooring.

• Certain cliches
    Token black friend with no backstory, bad boy next door that thinks the MC is “different from other girls,” mean girl and her two followers, that’s all a no from me.

I’ll edit if I think of anything else :blush:

LITERALLY 30 seconds later…

• Highschool Stories
    I don’t care if you’re 17 and never had a boyfriend, Olivia. I don’t care if you’ve never been to a party, Olivia. I DON’T CARE IF THE BAD BOY HAS HIS EYES SET ON YOU, OLIVIA.

• Predators disguised as love interests
    If you are 21+ and attracted to someone who just turned 18, you are a predator. End of story. 18 is still very much a child, and you guys are writing stories about MC’s best friend’s 40-something y/o father falling in love with an 18 y/o? :unamused:

• When the mafia is brought up at all
    99% of the time the mafia is inaccurate in stories. There are not teenagers running the mafia people!!!

• Bad grammar / no punctuation
    I can’t read this, I’m sorry. Using the wrong their/they’re/there or two/too/to pisses me off. And how hard is it to put a (.) or (!) after every statement?

I’m back like 4 months later lol

• Main Character has a BFF with NO Story-line
    Token black best friends (Ik I mentioned this), fat best friends, stereotypical gay best friends and they don’t have a life? They’re just always in the MC’s business, being their emotional support?

• A romance hidden behind the comedy genre
    Why did I go to the comedy genre just to read a story with the enemies-to-lovers trope? ”Two people that cant stand each other, but still fall in love!” Soooooo funny!

34 Likes

Honestly I think the worst thing is lackluster storytelling or carbon copy’s of others. I’d much rather read a cliche premise with bland characters that do something new. It’s part of the reason why I don’t read Episode stories very often, I’m never inspired by new concepts anymore. I came to read your story not someone else’s.

12 Likes

When the MLI crosses very serious boundaries of the MC for selfish reasons, but it’s portrayed as “romantic” instead of super sh*tty. :unamused:

6 Likes

what ruins a story for me is whether or not there’s CC as well as bad directing. everything else kinda just gets a pass for me

6 Likes

i absolutely cannot read a story with bad grammar/spelling errors. i don’t care how good the plot is, but if you’re making run on sentences and using oxford commas like decorations, i’m outta there! :running_woman:

6 Likes

There are a few things such as:

• Bad Directing

• Errors in Grammar and English

• Unnecessary gem choices, like even in the community stories there are gem choices like pay 12 gems to see the scene with the art scene, I remember reading a story where I had to pay 15 or something gem to read a scene, if I didn’t that scene will be skipped, so basically I won’t know what happened. I know they need gems to gain readers but having such gem choices ruins it for me.

• Skip the wait to read 6 chapters in 3 hours is another one. Why can’t authors just do the wait which is 3 chapters in 1hour 30 minutes. Three hours is way too long

• Next one, I think this one is a big turn off for me which is that the Girl MC is the weaker one. I mean why. Like it’s either she is shy, has a bad past or like being a victim of assault or something. Why can’t the boys be vulnerable as well? Also, the fact that in most of the stories the girl is a virgin. I mean why? At some stage even boys are virgin so why does the girl have to give her first to the boy and not the other way around. Like I am not a feminist or anything but this concept just doesn’t fit well in my brain.

11 Likes

NO BECAUSE THIS IS SO TRUE! I’ve seen soooo many writer condone people going through each others privacy it’s painful!

5 Likes

The last one is a massive ICK for me! I don’t believe how people can still make this happen. Men get vulnerable to! It’s basic knowledge.

3 Likes

i for sure will never use gems in my stories. it’s one of the things i hate. gems should be used as donations and nothing else.

7 Likes