What’s One Episode Trope You Hate and One You Like?

Random question I thought of to bring more discussion into the forums.

My answer:
One I don’t care for is mafia stories. I know they’re popular and I’m definitely not saying all of them are terrible, but they just seem to be so overdone. (No offense if you’re into it. You do you boo.)

One I actually like when done right is the bad boy trope (bad boy as in a rebel, not someone who’s an **shole).

5 Likes

hate: love at first fight. I dont believe in love in first sight and it’s just so creepy. if you have the hots for someone you just meet. it’s not love its sexual attraction. I most hate those wolf-mate stories.

love: the chosen one. that is mostly in fantasy but this special person is gonna save the world

Little bonus because I did write it but then realise it was tropes you ask for and this is not a trope

Hate: descriptions. that is something you do in books where all you have is the text. but episode is more like a movie or tv show. we can see what is going. I dont need five lines saying how amazing the kiss is, I can see they are kissing

7 Likes

The description thing is fine! One could consider too much narration a sort of trope. :joy::sweat_smile::woman_shrugging:t2:

Love: hate to love, like enemies to friends or more.

Hate: bad boys, immaturity isn’t sexy.

7 Likes

I definitely think you can feel “something” for someone you just meet, but love is just too much. You know nothing about them. They could be a serial killer and you’re going to claim love? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I’m a sucker for enemies to friends or more. :eyes:

1 Like

Well the issues is that a lot of authors don’t develop the relationship and just constantly let the characters say how hot they think they are. So more like “horny at first sight”.
I think it’s very normal to be attracted to someone on first sight but god let them get to know each other and not be like “I love you” in ep 3 already.

5 Likes

I like them but only in certain cases. To me the bad boy that’s childish and rude for no reason isn’t the same as the one who’s just rebellious and doesn’t want to confirm to “society.”

2 Likes

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

3 Likes

This is exactly why it’s important to have an idea of who characters are as individuals and not just as part of the coupling. If there’s more to characters and the story the less you have to rely solely on the “love” aspect.

2 Likes

I feel like a lot of authors just wanna skip to the make out parts when it’s the development of the relationship that is the most interesting imo.

3 Likes

I’m definitely guilty of rushing romance in my own work, but slow burn is so good. It’s actually my goal in my K&T story to keep up with it, because I think it makes me root for the couple more when they’re not already together by episode 5.

3 Likes

I think it just really depends on how the author handles it, some rushed romances can still be developed well and I guess there is always the fear that people might get bored if it’s too slow. Yet here I am with my 9 main characters and slow burn story :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

That’s true! And I’m all for characters “getting together” early on, but when they’re already confessing love when they know next to nothing about each other? Then again, different episodes have different lengths/pacing/etc. :thinking:

2 Likes

The “I never met or talked to her before but she is so special to me already.”

2 Likes

Hate: Forced marriages

Love: The Chosen One

3 Likes

Hate: oh-no-I-vomited-I-must-be-pregnant
Love: best friends to lovers

14 Likes

True, there are some exceptions. Though I can’t think of any at this exact moment, there are some rebellious types that have opposed rules or society due to it being unfair, to me that is a good bad boy, not just someone who is a d*ck for the sake of it.

1 Like

I agree I have gotten really good friends at cons like we just meet and are already friends because we got common interest. but its like I am yes this is my one true love.

2 Likes

“I’m pregnant”
YOU SLEPT WITH HIM TWO DAYS AGO?!

2 Likes