What’s the worst fan mail you’ve gotten?

i’ll leave you one :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I haven’t published a story or anything, but I read through some people’s fanmail. :grimacing: :greentea:

The worst ones I’ve seen are the idiots that get salty about limited CC or “copying” someone’s idea. My heart goes out to you poor authors. Some people are super toxic on Episode.

All of you authors are savages, though. :joy: I read author’s fanmails just to see some good roasts, ngl.

One I saw that caused a lot of problems was one an author featured a white character with dreads. :grimacing:

9 Likes

I have a question
I don’t have any fanmail since I’ve never written a story before
But I’ve left criticisms that the authors took major offense to in their responses
Should I have just kept it to myself? I was very nice and apologized if I came off rude in my original comment
I thought authors would want to know what people think of their stories, good and bad.

2 Likes

Some people are just more affected by random criticism than others. It really depends on what you said I’d think and how the person receiving it is.

5 Likes

honestly they dont, even when I ask for it its not easy to been told your story is bad. when I ask for it I am ofcourse expecting been told that so I can improve. but been told outside of rewiew I don’t like, its unsolicited advice.

I done rewiew a lot of them, and people do get offended, some handle it better than others, some try just thanks for the review, others try to explain some of the things I pointed out, and some just got angry with you. but they ask for the review so they know they are been told this, that some cant handle it is there own problem.

where getting random messages from people out of nowhere telling you to change/improve, your story isn’t helpful,

1 Like

it depends. if there’s a coding or grammar or other type of “hard” (i.e. there’s a right and wrong answer) error then yeah. if it’s a plot point, then that could be taken harsher, especially bc some ppl might like the plot.

I’ve never gotten any bad fan mails. I only had one so far.

1 Like

lol same

1 Like

I haven’t gotten any mean fanmail yet (just 4 nice ones, thanks to those people!), and I obviously don’t want any, but I also feel like that’s one of the milestones of being an author, having both fans and haters.

1 Like

The MC is Latina-Italian[ a mix of latin cultures & italian], the LI is Mexican-American, the bestie is Korean-American, the workplace bestie and boss are both African American… and there are like 5 white people in the entire story, and all but like 2 are bg characters.

Yet, somehow- I’m excluding people of color?:face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

Lol reminds me of the fanmail I got that I posted before.
There was also this:

4 Likes

Exactly. It would be one thing if my story was some kind of generic mary sue romance where the ethnicity of my character didn’t mean anything- then I can see adding full cc- but the ethnicity of Valeria means something to her- it shapes her interactions, her language, her religion, the food and special events mentioned.

Last time I checked, white people don’t have quinceaneras? :joy:

4 Likes

Lol exactly I too include their cultures and languages to some extent so it would make zero sense. If I didn’t mention it all fine but that’s not the case.

1 Like

At least a quarter of my dialogue is Spanish. The jokes are Spanish culture related. And there are references to popular Mexican drinks and foods, too. I thought about going back and adding limited CC (hair, lipstick, eyeshape but no color changes). Idk if I will. tbh, while some have asked for limited cc (that’s the first that someone’s asked for full cc), it would seem that a majority of my 17k reads, people like the way my characters look. And I like the way they look. :joy: So, Idk, I might or might not.

I’m more aggrivated at fact that the person said I was “excluding” people of color. Seriously? How?

2 Likes

I wasn’t going to add any CC at first but then decided to do so to appease some readers so I only gave them features according to their race, hairstyles that fit their personality and style. With skin color I gave them like only 2-3 options and kept the haircolors the same with only giving the options to go lighter or darker lol.

Yeah I had one person constantly send me fanmail complaining about the MC being a blonde white girl when she isn’t even the only MC in the story. Like it sucks when you actually do add diversity to your story and they cry over the white people in it. And in your case that complaint is just straight dumb.

3 Likes

Right? It’s a story surrounding a strong, independent, educated Latina woman. How is that, in any way, excluding POCs? Does the fanmail think that Latinx aren’t POC?

2 Likes

I will officially scroll through this thread everyday to have a good laugh at how the people got roasted by the authors! But yeah there are rude people everywhere soo you just gotta know how to deal with it and not take it too personal.

2 Likes

What what what what what what what what did she just say? I am so concerned, for her… and her brother.

I never got nasty fan mails but I have gotten so many about making the main character CC. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: it’s so annoying.

like I get it but at the same time, I’m not forcing you to read the story. So…

1 Like

Supposively this means “I’m outta here” :grinning:

9 Likes