What should I know before writing about a muslim character?

I’m very interested in the islamic culture, so I’d like to add a muslim girl (and maybe her family) to the story, she should be one of the MC’s best friend. But it is very hard for me to not make mistakes since my culture is very different and I don’t want to offend anyone.
So what should I know before writing about a muslim character?

Is there anything in particular you’d like to know?

2 Likes

Yes I’d like to know if you have any particular questions :pleading_face:

1 Like

@kiranwrites93
@Maar.N

I know almost nothing, the only things I know are about halal food and the hijab and dress rules.
Oh and the rules about dating.
I wonder if there is some things that I should avoid to make the character do maybe.
Or if there is something I can add to make the character more realistic.

1 Like

I’m personally a muslim and tbh it depends on where you live but something that bothers me a lot in episode stories is when a muslim character drinks alcohol (can’t do that). Not a lot of info for me but I hope I helped something out. :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

I won’t make her do it.
But she can go to a party/club?

I think the easiest way to describe is Muslims are very similar to Christians except we don’t drink or date. It hugely depends on each individual though as so are strict and other are more liberal so I think it all depends on context of who your character is!

2 Likes

They can but its not something that is recommended.

1 Like

Hi
@kiranwrites93
@Maar.N
@marigolds
I hope not to bother you but I’m writing my story and I have a question.
I want to make my Muslim character have a relationship. I know that to start a relationship Muslim have to make it official, and the boy has to ask for the father permission. I know that after that they can be together but they can’t kiss or hug each other until marriage and they have to go out always with someone else. My question is: there are rules about who this person should be? Could it be for example a group of friends or a friend/sister with her boyfriend?
There are any other rules about dating?

1 Like

You can’t really date but I think it depends on where you’re story is based. I live in the UK and a lost of Muslims I know date I think it’s just depends on the person and their personal beliefs. Some people will full on date others will date with no physical contact until they are married which is the right way but everyone is different

1 Like

If they go out the girls dad needs to be present or brother

1 Like

The story is set in Italy.
I know what I wrote before because I follow an Egyptian-Italian on tik tok and she makes video about her religion, but I know nothing more that what she says.
So it isn’t correct if I write that the msulim girl and her fiancee go out with their friend with the father’s permission?
I’ll be more specific hoping that I don’t annoy you.
The MC and this girl should go out to take a coffee together and she says to the MC that a boy wants to ask for her hand.
Later I wanted to make the MC go out with a group of friend and the muslim girl and this guy (that has got the permission of the dad already) should go with them.

2 Likes

That should be fine but if she’s strict the dad would have to be there or her male member of her family

No it’s okay ask as much as you need!

1 Like

I’m planning to make the family be very permissive but I still want her to be religious, maybe I can add a brother to the story, I’ll think about it.
Thank you for your answers! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I don’t think we’re that strict on dating anymore hugging and cheek kisses are fine but anything else is after marriage. Hope this helps! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So there are different ideas about this topic :thinking:
Thank you! :two_hearts:

It all comes down to individuals at the end of the day and how they interpret what they can and can not do

1 Like

We are not allowed to have boyfriends/girlfriends in general, if the boy asks her father for permission it can’t be for dating but only for marriage and If they have to go out there must be a third person present and It must be their uncle, father or brother, this is why the religion says, even tho it’s become quite common that we don’t follow those rules, it’s still there, :pleading_face: but if u have any other questions let me know

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.