What to Read to Become a Better Writer!

I’m the same with the “Wings of Fire” series. It’s more for ages around 10, which is how old I was when I got the first book, but I love the series to bits and I haven’t stopped reading it. There’s 12 books and counting, but they’re only about 200-300 pages so they don’t take that long to read. I’ve read the first five books literally at least 10 times.

When you say you stopped, do you mean before the end of VA or before the end of Sydney’s spin-off series?

Sydney? I don’t remember her…

Never read that series.

Yeah, it’s not very well known.

Before the end of VA, and yeah I don’t remember a Sydney either but sounds interesting

Sydney is the Alchemist Rose meets when she’s killing strigoi in Russia to find Dimitri who thinks that vampires are an abomination! Let’s just say Rose may have made her realise moroi and dhampir aren’t anything to be afraid of, but it’s Adrian who REALLY changes her mind… and Eddie and Jill

I liked Adrian…

I didn’t like the spin-off as much because Sydney isn’t as reliable of a narrator. Rose notices EVERYTHING in a room because it’s part of her job, so she figures out a mystery before or at the same time as you.

Sydney is just a super religious alchemist who made friends with a dhampir in Rose, which cost her reputation… sometimes when there’s a mystery to solve, I found myself screaming the answer at the book because she’s SO SLOW on the pick-up

I read more Latin American and French literature than English literature and there are a multitude of books that I’d love to recommend. But I’m conscious that a lot of people in the Episode community might not necessarily like to read books without choices, animations, images, and so on. Which is fine, to each their own. So for people who aren’t avid readers and have difficulty reading thick books with long descriptive paragraphs, I’d say that books by Albert Camus are a good start for someone who likes to think and write about deep topics but not read as much. His writing is short and simple but full of meaning and philosophical questions that could work in pretty much any genre. The Myth of Sisyphus is one of my favorites, it talks about suicide and human existence and its meaning. A lot of my friends who’ve read it swear it changed their lives.

2 Likes

I never really liked Sydney either. I feel like she’s… Boring. Nothing interesting. Like, OK, we get it, you hate vampires…

Lol! She gets better. She’s just such a BAD narrator cos she’s so clueless

A bad narrator?

Oh my god.
I’m so glad you mentioned dragon age.
I’m obsessed with that game.
Everything about including the lore, romance, and story is just amazing!
I also get inspired by games like fable :blush:

It’s kinda unsatisfying when you solve a mystery before your narrator does… like, there are times in the story where she’s trying to find out who’s behind a massive and she doesn’t seem to get it even though we do. Or how long it took her to realise that Adrian was in love with her

1 Like

I forgot what that was called. When the reader knows something that the character doesn’t.

Dramatic irony! :slight_smile:

Yes! I was taught that in 7th or 8th year… In ELA.

Like all literary devices, dramatic irony is great when used in moderation and in the right places! She’s just a walking mess of dramatic irony… it makes her look stupid and incompetent. She can’t figure out basic things!

I always thought she was slow. One sample of the spinoff told me that.

1 Like