What would be classified as a short or long episode?

Hey! So I was wondering what would be classified as a long or short episode! For me, my episodes are like 5000 lines! Which sounds long but in fact is just most of the coding. So what are your opinions? :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

I feel like anything below 1000-1500 lines is too short but that could depend if it has heavy coding or is more dialogue heavy.
Also 5000 lines sounds like a good medium if you’re using a lot of coding :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for your opinion! I always feels like my episodes are too long! :sparkling_heart:

I personally go by time rather than lines as it varies for everyone.
I think (personally) anything <10 minutes is on the short side but anything >20 minutes is probably a bit too long for most readers.
I like to aim for around 15 minutes (for me that tends to be around 2000 lines excluding branching and heavy directing).

2 Likes

True, thank you! :sparkling_heart:

1500-2000 lines (without any spaces in between the lines) :smile:

1 Like

Oof I could never do that! I just add so much extra crap!

1 Like

I never knew coding could take up that much lines… Do you have a lot of character customization? I’ve heard a lot of people talking about having like 5000 lines… I’m just really curious what you guys do with your coding to make it so long…

1 Like

Well, yes I do. Most of the time, I let the reader pick the MC’s hairstyle to their lipstick and outfit! I also have LOTS of spot directing in scenes!

1 Like

Oh! I get it now. I don’t usually put customization in my stories, I’ll probably do it last so it’s easier if I want to add it in before I publish.

1 Like

That’s a good idea actually! You can see how long your episode actually is until adding the extras like Customization! :hugs:

1 Like

I don’t base it off of lines because I use a lot of advanced directing/spotting/zooming - I just base it off time like @EliseC said. Anything under 10 is fairly short, so a sweet spot is 10-15 minutes. 20 is too long and there’s research from the Episode teams that actually show reader retention dropping if your stories are too long (obv not the case for all).

3 Likes

Ohh cool! Thanks! How long do you keep your episodes for?

I try for anything within 10-15 minutes. Sometimes I don’t make it exactly there, but it is what it is lol. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Speaking in terms of time… 10-15 minutes will satisfy me.
In terms of lines, just depends what’s in those lines. I just finished one episode that has 1400 lines and it clocks in at about 10 minutes, but the next one I’ve just started is at 1200 now and I’m not even in the middle of the episode yet and it probably only clocks in at about 3 minutes.

3 Likes

Common consensus is 10 to 15 mins.

Personally if a story’s episode is longer than that, I end up having to read the story in segments haha

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Lol I am such a weird reader but longer episodes make me lose attention so I end up quitting then going back so I can enjoy it :joy::rofl:

1 Like

True! If its too much, I can’t complete it straight away!

1 Like

I’m the same. I feel bad because I know I’m hurting their reader retention but I literally can’t sustain my attention for that long.

2 Likes