What your thoughs on designer babies

Well that’s my main problem with it, you should love your child for who they are, regardless of the way they look, in your eyes they should be the perfect child no matter whether theyve got blue eyes or brown

6 Likes

How about people that can’t have children would you think they would change their appearance as well?

2 Likes

How about parents only concern their appearance. He or she is allow to be their parents even though they want a pretty child.

2 Likes

Mine is against, but since it a controversial topic I don’t know. Part of me want to prevent disease only, and other parts is to not to be part of supporting for messing with embryos.

2 Likes

The research into gene editing is more so for screening for genetic diseases, and replacing those for healthy genes, which leads to better quality of life for the infant.

But the science isn’t really there for genetic modification, using in vitro to screen is much more widespread, and couples have already been using it to search for more ‘desirable’ traits as well as rejecting embryos with genetic diseases.

6 Likes

In that MIT article I shared - one of the major points is how this could potentially create even bigger inequalities between the rich and the underprivileged. For example - impoverished countries would still have genetic defects in their population whereas first world countries might be breeding “superhumans” in a sense. Or even in those first world countries - the rich would have access to this technology and potentially create only the strongest and brightest offspring and lead to a disparity where people of lesser means have a more difficult time attaining success in comparison to these genetic “superhumans”.

6 Likes

Let say it hypothetically is afford or free in this case. Would you still think people would concern this?

1 Like

Perhaps. Like the old saying: “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”

I think there is good intention behind the concept, but it is a slippery slope that could easily be abused by the corrupt.

5 Likes

Their a chance I feel as technology will grow advanced what is their to fix?

1 Like

:fire::fire::fire: yesssss I just like what you said lol.

2 Likes

Okay if it to replace it for healthy genes. Do you think their still be consequences?

1 Like

If the child come out normal.

1 Like

For sure, which is why it’s currently heavily regulated on how this stuff is researched. We don’t really understand how a lot of this works.

Which is why this was kind of a bad idea:

5 Likes

Since my brain is mashed potatoes right now, I’ll return with a - hopefully - decent answer tomorrow, because everything I say/write right now is anything but coherent, lmao.

That’s why it’s important to talk about it. Keep the thread alive folks!

2 Likes

Lmao my brain fry too.

2 Likes

Wait so like changing the baby in the womb? That’s doing too much just let the baby be how they are when they’re born. I mean :woman_shrugging:t5: This just sounds like some creepy stuff to change the baby like that? And wayyyyyy too much biology that I’m hardly passing at the moment (Wait she updates grades a C- yasssss)

5 Likes

My school has this debate club and one of the debates was this so IMA just write down everything I think of (I was forced to think of why designer babies are a good thing but I’ll add in why it isn’t too )

First Off ,

I think designer babies shouldn’t be an open thing to do but cost a load of you really want your baby to be how you want it to be . However in terms of negative genes and family diseases , it shouldn’t really have a price …

Why designer babies shouldn’t be illegal (or whatever) is because a lot of parents are picky these days in what their kids look like and (I know, crazy) some have even abandoned their children just because of their gender or the colour of their eyes . But with designing their babies they’re more likely to accept the new member as family more . BUT if this is the main reason on why they want to design their baby then the price should be fairly high to prove how much they really want a specific kind of baby . For gene issues and DNA the price should be a lot lower …

(Why designer babies aren’t ideal opinion coming soon, just gonna look at what other people posted :kissing_heart:)

1 Like

It’s not morally right.

5 Likes

I think that it’s like creating a robot right inside of a body. I’m fully against this.

4 Likes

Everybody’s responses here is what I think as well, lol. :joy:

4 Likes