What's a big no-no in a story?

What’s a big no-no that makes you just say bye in a story?

16 Likes
  1. When the story is being rushed.
  2. When the story is absolutely making no sense.
  3. Rushed Directing, Dialogue, Scenes, Grammar, etc.
24 Likes

I automatically leave a story that has bad grammar. It just annoys me so much. Examples of this are

• Using abbreviations in the dialog. I completely get it in texting scenes… but when I see a character talking and just saying “tbh” “ig” I just say “nope” and leave the story
  • Bad spelling. I don’t just ditch a story if they spell a word or two wrong, but when every single piece of dialog has a big spelling error it just annoys me to the point of where it’s hard to continue
  • Lastly… when the sentences just don’t make any sense. One second a character is saying they hate parties so they’re not going. The next sentence they’re saying how they can’t wait to party all night long. Another example of ‘sentences not making sense’ is when it just simply makes no sense. For example, “Well no I don’t when we.” Like… :eyes: Huh!!! How are we supposed to read a story that nobody can understand?
    Thanks for listening to me rant lol <3
23 Likes

Dude, you are not the only one. I get that English is hard and a majority of writers aren’t fluent in it but it’s just…
WOULD IT BE THAT HARD TO GET A PROOFREADER OR LIKE USE GRAMMARLY?!

16 Likes

Yes I hate text speech its annoying.

A big no no for me is grammar.
Stories that have self harm/abuse/R8pe and over all traumatic situations for shock value just cause.
Unrealistic/MarySue/JohnSue characters
Overly cliche characters to the point I could just gauge my eyes out.
Dialogue that makes me roll my eyes because its so cringe
Stories that try to hard to be edgy.
Token black friends/side kicks best friends
Rushed stories that with poor development
Love interests that have no personality
Stories that are blatant self inserts.
Love stories that have character fall in love with little to no chemistry.
Stories that have cringe dialogue that makes me cringe.
Authors who have became episode affiliated and think their stories are good but are really boring, unoriginal and uninspiring.

I could really go on and on with this for hours.

22 Likes

Right. So many people on Forums can help with proofreading

5 Likes

That or just write your damn dialogues in a doc and have Grammarly check through it. IT’S THAT EASY!

9 Likes

Sorry but I find so many Episode Originals are terrible. They are so cliche and boring. And don’t get me started on insanely expensive gem choices

19 Likes

Here are some more:
Stories that are not consistent and have no continuity between episodes.
Stories that jump around from genre to genre. (which can be done well)
Stories that aren’t plotted out properly
Stories that try to touch on topics they have no knowledge on.
Stories that think their a comedy but aren’t.
Stories with Authors in the opening scene explaining to me what the story is about. (Show don’t tell.)
Stories where authors are in the opening scenes telling me to give them a change but then leave me in disappointment with half baked ideas.
Stories with stupid M.C.
Stories with over all dumb characters that make dumb and or illogical decisions.
I’m a person who will read three episodes just to test the water. If by the third episode I’m not hooked in Im putting it down.

If I have more Ill post it.

17 Likes

When there’s a romance story and they ALWAYS make the male characters start monologuing about how well the dress fits the MC when they have only met one time (and it’s that time).

Oh god the cringe.

This is why when reading a story that has a female MC, I always choose a female LI. 1. It makes more sense. 2. If you use a male LI, you know it’s unrealistic that a man is going to say that sh*t.

Sorry I just had to say this.

12 Likes

I think all of us read Episode Stories simply for the outfits and the hairstyles. cause why else would we read it. We all KNOW their bad.

5 Likes

That’s why they aren’t releasing certain hairstyles and clothing for regular authors to use because they feel those premium choices are the only things making their stories special or even half decent

8 Likes

I could understand that, that is very smart of them because they would be broke if they didn’t

6 Likes

I do too I hate that second point. If your going to make a male LI at least try to make me believe it.

6 Likes

Oh god, the comedy genre.

Thank god I started coding a story that’s pure comedy (Just got sick over the stories that were NOT funny at all). My goal for this story is very simple: code the last chapter, forget about it, then log into the app again and read it as reader.

I wish we could have more REAL comedy stories. None of this bad romance bullsh*t ruining it.

10 Likes

I think its hard to write comedy. It’s all perspective but I have not read not one story in the comedy section that was funny.

10 Likes

Oof, had my hopes up.

5 Likes

I mean… oof :rofl:
I would give it a read and at least see…

5 Likes

Nah don’t. It’s a terrible story with only my sense of humor to direct with. Never trust my first story. That’s the golden rule

6 Likes

I think everyone’s first story is cringy af. I know my first story was :sweat_smile:

7 Likes