What's the best format for my romance story? More interactive?

So I’ve been working on my not-yet-published romance story with a male MC. He has one male love interest because so far thats the only way the story makes sense. The story will be called “It Was Written In The Stars” because the MC has an interest in astrology and the story plays with the idea that how him and the LI met wasnt a coincidence and they were destined to be together. I was originally writing the story to have one ending and you end up with the LI no matter what, because thats the only way the title makes sense right?

But I don’t want my story to be boring or not very engaging. Should I leave it like this or should I add a few different endings based on a point system? Maybe I could make them be together no matter what but make different endings? Or should I make the LI’s friend a love interest as well and the story line could be that those two were destined if the reader wants to persue them instead? Is it worse reading a story knowing if you make enough of the wrong choices you wont end up with the LI? Or is it better because choices make an impact and you have a goal to end up with the LI?

3 Likes

I think that as you write and plan your story, the ending will come naturally! Maybe there will eventually be other minor characters, who could turn into another love interest, or maybe his love rival (trying to steal the love interest away)

It could be interesting if maybe there was an ending where he ends up with the love interest and an ending where they aren’t together, based on choices. I definitely agree with the point you make in your title-- if they’re destined to be together, they should end up together in the end! That’s why drama is so important: you need to create conflict to keep the story engaging, and the reader guessing whether or not it’ll be a happy ending. Regardless, I do think whatever works out best will come naturally as you continue writing :slight_smile: :heart:

2 Likes

I like that idea of having two different (or more) characters that the MC could pursue, you can also base it off a point , but it’s all up to you. These are my personal suggestions.

1 Like

thank you for the tips! i am just kinda writing it as i go lol. i think ive decided on they’ll be together but theres multiple endings, like a marriage route and bonus scene of the future if they get a lot of points, just ending up together, etc.

1 Like

I like that! Good way to incorporate the point system, have them together by the end, and still have multiple endings! Best luck with it :grinning: :heart:

1 Like

You could have like “Destiny” points or something that lead your MC to his LI, and only have bonus scenes if they get enough Destiny points.

The alternate ending could be that they are star-crossed lovers, destined to miss each other for all eternity and theres like a Constellation of two lovers facing away from each other or reaching towards each other but never touching?

1 Like

Those are amazing ideas! I might consider the points for bonus scenes, as thats a way to make it interactive and have the choices matter while still keeping one ending. And the star crossed lover idea is great for an ending possibility. It would suck for the characters lol but would make an interesting ending possibility that isnt predictable. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Just saw this, glad you liked the idea! Can’t wait to read your story, hopefully I’ll get the good ending :slight_smile:

1 Like

loll totally forgot i wrote this topic but ive been keeping your suggestion in mind! and my story is out, It Was Written In The Stars by Mars X, if youre interested :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome, I found it and will start reading :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.