What's the most important thing school taught you?

Hi, everybody. :wave: :wave:

I have a lot of mixed feelings about school; like, how am I going to survive only being able to do calculus problems? And the STRESS? My gosh. And dtfyguhli;jo American college applications are going to kill me. I will be so mad if I can’t take the SAT.

But also, I am so lucky to have an education, be around supportive teachers, and learn math and all that cool stuff. Without school, I wouldn’t have a social life.

Anyways, is there anything valuable a teacher/classmate/staff member has taught you at school (any school–it could be an after school program, ballet school, etc.)? Or maybe something (or multiple things) that you concluded from your experiences at school?

I’ll go ahead:
1. Sometimes your best isn’t enough. That may sound depressing, but it’s just realistic in my opinion.

2. You’re only good at something if you are better than other people at it, which makes competition inevitable. Success is based on percentiles. There will never be a time of no competition in your life; it’s always there, even if you don’t know it. And people fuel their own competition they hate so much–I know I do it all the time. For the sake of “protecting myself,” “doing it to myself before anyone else can,” and “bettering myself,” I am reinforcing the rules of society that have hurt me and everyone else so much.

3. Using semicolons and colons correctly make you magically appear to be 10 times smarter in that moment. (Except when you overuse them like me. Heh…)
:arrow_double_up: Academic pressure is real.

If all else fails though, at least I know how to solve for x. :relieved: Well, kinda… I suck at math.

Tags, because I'd love to have a discussion. (Sorry if you didn't want to be tagged.)

@epy.neha @AmeliClemonte @Golden.aura @Randomwriter07 @Superpup @princess.episode @Maeverie.Rivera @PurpleRadiance

10 Likes

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell :relieved:

5 Likes

Yes, and the oxford comma is not optional. :relieved:

1 Like

School also taught me to pull all nighters and stress like I was about to be responsible for the death of 10 million humans or something. That’s pretty dope.

2 Likes

YES lmaooo

1 Like

It’s the perfect answer to everything, too.

1 Like
  • Watch the friends you keep.
  • Stay focus on your goals.
  • Learn something new that you haven’t. (ex. different country language, religion, etc.)
  • Always do things early and on time, so you won’t wait the last minute to do it.
  • Stay well organized.

eh, ill add more later. lol

2 Likes

Facts.

1 Like

Oooh, nice ones. Procrastination is a sneaky killer.

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Well I’m a college student and a SAT Tutor. ( Good luck by the way Amphia if you are able to ). I’d say a lot of what I’ve learned is that you should never put too much pressure on yourself and that actually trying to succeed is more than half the battle. And that you are more than capable. (And that SAT s aren’t everything :joy: )
:purple_heart:

1 Like

theres a shit ton of fake friends out there- :relaxed:

1 Like

Um, that all your teachers will like you if your sister was in their class a few years ago and you’ll be their favorite?

1 Like

Girl Same. But you’ll get through this!

1 Like

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Indeed. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Then I better get my act together for my younger brother.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Moved to General Chat. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

bad things I learned in hs…

1. instead of crib sheets, write answers in pencil on your nail bed
  2. you can cut class by saying you’re going to the counselors office and no one will check
  3. if you leave PE to go get starbucks, you’d better get your teacher something

good things I learned in hs… lol

1. I remember the year I learned about satire. like before that, I literally had no idea it was even a thing. and to introduce it, our teacher had us read like an orwell or kesey novel or something over the summer and write a paper. so like, naturally, I was horrified and wrote about the ridiculousness thinking the novel was meant to be taken word-for-word… failed that paper lol. but it taught me that there’s different types of literature and why its important to think critically about what you’re reading.

2. bad grades aren’t the end of the world. I failed plenty of tests and papers and still did pretty well in my classes. like its okay, you can fail a test (or 5) and still be fine and go to college if you want. like you won’t be going to harvard lol, but honestly the less prestigious schools are more fun

3. hs deff taught me that the best time in a relationship is everything that leads up to the relationship itself. like you can spent MONTHS flirting, texting, getting fro-yo after school with that cute guy from your math class; then finally when you actually hold hands for the first time it’s so magical and you’re so nervous you don’t do it again for another month. like this is such a sweet and innocent time where you can really savor each step of getting to know one another. so totally enjoy that and don’t rush things, because after hs all of that cute, innocent lead-up stuff kind of goes away

1 Like