What's the problem with Mafia stories?

Hello everyone,

I’ve tried so many times to give a Mafia story a chance, but I truly get disappointed every time. After reading 42 popular Mafia stories on Episode, I finally admitted to myself that I dislike Mafia stories. The biggest reasons for me is that they spend so little time on the characters, storylines, choices, glorifying the life of a Mafia, little to no diversity, etc. The list goes on. I automatically label a Mafia story as lazy and toxic, and I know some of you do as well.

She’s mysterious and beautiful, and somehow stumbles across a ruthless Mafia leader. That’s when things start to escalate. After the villain gets killed or arrested, they’ll fall in love, get married, and she’ll eventually get pregnant. Sounds familiar, right? What makes people read such a story? It’s so predictable.

My friend is listening to my rants about Mafia stories at least once a week. Until one day in February '21 she asked me a question: “It seems that you know every flaw in a Mafia story. Why don’t you write the flawless Mafia story that you want?”
I responded: “Don’t be ridiculous. I would never do that.”
“I challenge you.”
She knows me very well. I can’t give up a challenge.

So I did. I wrote my flawless Mafia story. The King of the West; (1) You’re not a little girl. You’re not stupid. The main character is inspiring, confident, and strong; (2) The story doesn’t sugarcoat the horrifying life of a Mafia. You’ll see the bad and the bad (of course filtered because of Episode’s guidelines); (3) Choices matter, and there will be three unique storylines throughout the story. What’ll happen is all up to you, as I’ll write 8 endings; (4) The story doesn’t focus only on the main character and the Mafia leader. You’ll never know what’s next, as the story is completely unpredictable.

You can choose your gender, your love interest’s gender, your body type (includes the option for plus size), your love interest’s body type, full customization for both characters and choices matter.

Details of the Mafia story

Title: King of the West

Author: Aliffoen

Style: Limelight

Genre: Drama

Description: You: an outstanding actress who’s strong and independent.
Him: a hot and ruthless mafia leader who will turn your life upside down. Can you survive the King of the West?

Chapters: 3 (40-60 in total)

Instagram: @Aliffoen

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4782331828830208

Cover:

Screenshots and more information on the story

Choose everything for your main character; your body type, full customization, name, personality, love interest’s gender and full customization, and love interest’s body type.

Live your dream life as a very successful actor.

Will you understand all subliminal messages? Or will they go over your head?

Diversity, diversity, diversity!

Will you make the right choices? Which storyline will you choose, and who’s side will you pick? Decide which of the 3 storylines you’d like to follow, and eventually choose between 8 endings…

Will you fall for the ruthless Mafia leader, or will you follow your own path? This story will leave you nonetheless with a thrilling storyline.

It was a successful challenge. I’d like to thank my friend for challenging me. I think I created something that I’m proud of. It’s very different from any other Mafia story, and at the same time it has the elements of what readers enjoy in an Episode story.

I really don’t expect anyone to read this, but it felt nice to write this. I felt very anxious releasing this story, so writing this was very helpful. Feel free to promote your own Mafia story that isn’t cliche.
If you have read everything that I have just written, then I am super surprised and really happy. Reply with “Lucia” and I’ll love you forever.

What do you think? Do you like Mafia stories? Does my story seem different? I need to know everything you think…

28 Likes

Lucia :blush:

Congratulations on publishing! Gritty crime stories (that don’t glorify crime) intrigue me in general so I’m looking forward to read yours. Though I do believe it’s more often not the ‘cliché mafia trope with your innocent girl and a ruthless criminal’ that makes a story intolerable, but more so the author’s ability to write an original, comprehensive plot while also making their characters seem alive. Creating something that’s deemed outside the box doesn’t guarantee it has better quality over a well-written story with a mainstream trope, which is why I favor a great writer/director over a ‘unique’ story any day. Even so, I appreciate your dedication to write a mafia story with a new approach! Congratulations again :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for even reading all of that :pleading_face: :heart: I appreciate your honesty. I listed the cliché as only one of the reasons that I dislike Mafia stories. I think it’s a very loved genre on Episode. Sometimes people don’t even care about the directing, because they only care about the Mafia element in the story. This makes the author very lazy in the writing, directing and coding. This is exactly the point! And thank you for even considering in reading my story :heart: That’s really sweet.

3 Likes

Hiiii it sounds amazing! I will totally read this when I get the time from school. I love when authors write stories that go beyond the cliché ones, and I would gladly support them any day. Finally the MC is not a weak little girl. It sounds like you are very skilled with the directing and that is very important to me. I just love these stories that have details and good directing, it feels so cool, I don’t know how to describe it. I also like the fact that you put important things and messages in the story. That is a great idea, I try to do that as well with my stories because I think it’s important to. I love this, it just sounds great. I look forward to this. Lucia :slight_smile:

(sorry if my english isn’t the best, I’m too tired to think of gramatics, I just wanted to tell you how much i appreciate and fully support this.)

3 Likes

Omg, that’s so sweet of you! Thank you so much. What’s your story called? :heart:

1 Like

It’s not finished yet lol. I’ve just made a few episodes so far, but I’m done with the story. I just have to make more episodes, but I’m currently taking a break because of school. :thinking: :heart:

2 Likes

Ahhh! Good luck with writing and school :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and same! :sneezing_face:

1 Like

That’s the nicest thing to say :pleading_face::heart: thank you so much for caring. I’m so glad to hear that. And welcome to the community. I just noticed that you’re new on the portal, and that this is your first comment. I’m honored.

2 Likes

I’m literally reading your story girl/boy :joy: , anyway by the screenshots your story sounds funny and interesting! Congratulations on publishing :wink:

2 Likes

I’m one to avoid mafia stories like the plague especially if romance is involved, partly because of the reasons you mentioned, and partly due to other cultural mistakes authors often make. I’ll be very honest, I’m not sure whether to trust that your story is actually free of all the clichés, but you caught my attention alright, so I’ll definitely read it and see for myself. I don’t know when I’ll be able to read it, but if I do it’s possible that I’ll let you know what I think of it!

Just one thing before I start. Since we can full CC both main characters (meaning we can choose their ethnicities), does that mean that it takes place in an alternate reality? Where Italians, Mexicans, Russians, etc. aren’t necessarily the ones who run their illicit activities, or where mafias especially aren’t affected by patriarchy, for example? Since they’re both important aspects to consider when writing about mafia.

Lucia

1 Like

Omg, thank you so much! :sneezing_face: :sneezing_face:

1 Like

I’m glad that we can relate to one another. I’d actually love your feedback on the story. It is based on reality and isn’t based in a parallel universe. You’ve mentioned three nationalities that originate from Europe (Mexico, Italy, and Russia). Today, the majority of Mexicans are admixed and can trace their ancestry back to indigenous groups and to Europe, and the other two countries are in Europe.

With that said, it doesn’t really matter what the background of the character is. It can work out anyway. I have chosen a nationality that can suit every person, because immigration in that country is common and there are different races in that country. I hope I answered your questions :heart:

2 Likes

Oh perfect then. With that in mind, I’ll try to read your story as soon as I can :relieved::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Thank you so much :heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.