What's your opinion on letting the reader choose their name?

What’s your opinion on letting the reader choose their name? I think it is very cool but also if I don’t have a set name for the main character it is hard for me to get attached to them. What is your take on this?

3 Likes

I would let them to me, the phase on picking a name is over.

1 Like

I love naming the character as a reader but as a writer I prefer already having a name set for the main character, so I’m torn between this :joy:

5 Likes

That’s actually how I feel :joy: like from a readers perspective I love it but from a writers perspective I don’t :joy:

1 Like

You can add a Choice, but it would require lots of coding,depending how many times you use the name

Giving an option to name a character isn’t all that different from already having a name determined for them in regards to coding, IMO. It’s only one line of code to name a character and throughout the rest of the script, you’d write only one thing, just like you’d write a name you set for them. Yes, you may need to change the display name so it shows what the reader named them, but other than that, whether you name them or not, I find the same amount of work is required for either option when you’re working on your story.

1 Like

I know that

1 Like

I really don’t care tbh. It’s alright if the author provides a nice name, and not just some boring cliche typical names that are used in literally every cliche story.

3 Likes

I actually don’t like it often because I hate having to come up with a name since I never really play as myself. :joy::sweat_smile: it’s essentially me coming up with a new character every time. Lol or I’ll use my characters from RP’s. But I definitely prefer characters with names. Lol

2 Likes

i just type random letters lol

1 Like

I come up with random names, like… I can’t recall the last time I used a normal name.

4 Likes

I don’t mind a set name as a reader. As I writer, I’ve always done a fixed name. I think if you are really going to try to give readers a sense that THEY are the MC, it makes sense to let them choose the name. More often than not, though, characters end up doing things that frustrate me, so I never give them my own name when I’m reading. I just think of random names every time, which is kind of pointless for me. If your character has a developed, set, three-dimensional personality, I think it’s fine for you to give them a name that suits your authorial vision of who they are.

5 Likes

As a reader I have no problem between choosing the name or it is set already. As an author I love to add my own names :slight_smile:

For me it depends on the story I’m writing. If it’s a “YOU” story where I think it’s more fun if the reader is a MC, then they can pick their name. If it’s a story where the MC is very much a developed character that I have in mind, then I’ll choose the name. I actually don’t mind giving my readers full CC, because to me as long as the character has a name, I can make a connection and when I’m coding/directing they still look like my vision if that makes sense.

As a reader, I don’t mind either way but I hate choosing my name only to then find out that CC is limited and I can’t actually look like myself lol.

3 Likes

I don’t put myself into stories, so I honestly don’t care whether I can choose a name or not.

I’m not fussed at all.