When does holiday season "officially" start according to you?

When I say holiday season, I’m refering to the period close to Christmas, Thanksgiving and whatnot.

For me, November is the beginning of holiday season, what do you think? :snowflake:

6 Likes

that would be December first, as Halloween is not a Danish holiday, and neither is thanksgiving, we do have a holiday in November called Mortens night. but only thing your suppose to do is eat duck actually it suppose to be gesse, and the guy we celebrate is named Martins so yeah that holiday is not being held right at all

for real holidays in Denmark is mostly in the start of the year , there is fastalavn in March, basically, Danish Halloween, made a topic about it
Fastalavn (danish halloween) - Community / General Chat - Episode Forums (episodeinteractive.com)

and so many Christian holidays in the spring. and of course Denmark’s liberation. and then in summer, their is sankt hans another holiday.

2 Likes

I’m going to say around Thanksgiving or maybe on Black Friday.

2 Likes

Thanksgiving is not celebrated either where I live, but there’s “Saint-Nicolas”, which is celebrated on Dec 6th which is the date from which you’re supposed to put your Christmas tree up. But I feel like it’s socially acceptable to do holiday-ish things around the beginning of November :rofl:

2 Likes

The week of Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Nederlands? :smile: Same here. :wink: December, I also think the little children get holiday mostly earlier like 4th or 5th December.

1 Like

We have St. Martin in November and St. Nikolaus on December 6th. Most people here start decorating after December 6th. Or the first Sunday of December which would be the 1st. Advent.

2 Likes

Normally I and my fam celebrate when it’s around Christmas time

1 Like

Maybe halfway through November for me?? But I will tolerate being excited for it and Christmas music no early than the start of November (I really don’t like it when it’s literally SUMMER and people are playing Christmas music)

2 Likes

Nope, Belgium :blush: it’s also celebrated here!

1 Like

I feel you on this! Especially if it’s All I want for Christmas :tired_face: love the song, but we’re not gonna spend two months hearing it :unamused:

1 Like

For me it’s usually early December. December 3rd or something like that.

1 Like

I knew it. :wink: I only didn’t know it’s also celebrated in Germany, @Tarly.

1 Like

Yup it’s celebrated here too. I live about 45 minutes from the Netherlands. I sometimes go shopping there and I’ll be visiting Amsterdam in November. :grin: Do you still celebrate, I think it’s called Zwarte Piet?

1 Like

I have two little nephews and nieces. They definitely celebrate Sinterklaas. It’s more a children celebration. But I still celebrate with them. :wink:

1 Like

do you also leave one of your shoes out for the Sinterklaas to put a carrot into it? :joy:

1 Like

Yes. I really believed in Sinterklaas (when I was 5) until my mum crashed my fate. First thing I asked her was: ‘do I still get presents?’ :woman_facepalming:t2::laughing::laughing:

What’s the carrot for? Here the kids just put a boot in front of the door and if they didn’t behave well during the year they got a piece of coal instead of sweets.

1 Like

The horse from Sint Nicolas. :wink: I know that sounds dumb, but yeah children also think about his horse.

1 Like

Yes!! Exactly

1 Like