Where do you see the border between small, midsize and big author?

People often talk about big and small authors - but whom do you consider to be in this group?
What do you see as a limit defining small or big authors?

Is for you big author defined by having more than a certain amount of reads all over or in one story? Is big author-defined for you by having opened payment section?
Or is for you big authors defined by having their story in top 10 in trending?
Or any other criteria you see as important to see the author as big?

And how would you define a small author - is somebody with 200k reads still a small author? Is he big or is he something in between for you?

I would like to know your personal point of view on these “borders”. :smiley:

10 Likes
For me big author is:
  • If he has unlocked the payment section
  • If he has over 100k reads on one story
  • if he has over 1m reads on one story
  • If he has more than 1m reads from all published stories
  • Something else - I will write it in the comment

0 voters

We needed this topic :clapping:

2 Likes

The payment section does not define whether the author is big or not since it’s a really challenging thing to unlock even if you have millions of reads! Especially now with the gems, everything is getting harder to achieve unfortunately. :sneezing_face:

3 Likes

For famous authors, i think it depends on how often you hear that author’s name (there are a few writers that became known bc of their extraordinary directing or the plot) or how often you see their story on the people’s recommendations, in users’ profile (I used to see Adrenaline in almost everyone’s recommendations). Sometimes fame doesn’t come by the reads but because of something that the author did (eg. they been toxic) and suddenly everyone on forums or on Instagram is talking about them.

for midsize I think that it doesn’t have to do with the reads again, but from how many people like the story. For example, I find an author with 2k reads that people (that are not their friends or that they know ofc) come to their DMS and give them fan mails, ask them about the next chapter, etc more famous than someone with 34k reads that almost no one give them fan mails, express their love, asks the about the chapters. For me, there is a difference between reading something to spend your time or out of curiosity and read something bc you actually love reading it.

Small authors are those that need to work extra hard to gain reads.

7 Likes

For me a big Author is someone who I enjoy their story. I don’t care how many reads it has, if it’s good, then they’re a big Author.

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is Episode-related. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

To me, a small author is someone with less than 20k-ish followers, a medium author is around 20k—50k-ish followers and a bigger author is 50k+ followers. That’s just my opinion. :woman_shrugging:t3::full_moon_with_face:
As for how active they are, I think it varies. Examples would be Cindy and Violet, they don’t seem to be that active, but they’re still big authors because they have millions of reads and many followers (60k+). It’s also likely the stories they publish next, if any, will easily gain reads and recognition as long as they update regularly, but their base has already been made.

I don’t at all think the payment section nor trending defines who a big author is. I’ve seen plenty of unknown and “smaller” authors on trending and in high ranks but still not getting a lot of reads nor payments. You can also hear an author’s name a fair bit if their story is good because of others promoting it, but then you look at the author’s profile and they don’t have many followers and their reads are less than 100k (sometimes by a lot), so I think it depends on followers, how well their stories perform (particularly if they’re getting into the millions) and how well they maintain popularity for themselves and their stories both current and future.

2 Likes

Interesting point … so reads doesnt matter but fallowers?

But are you aweare of the fact that people can gain fake falowers? I am not saying that the big authors you mentioned do it but I face every day that somebody falows me and unfalows me after I fallow him back.so if somebody does this on regular basis he will gain decent amout of falowers who actually do not know him and are not interested in his work. I myself do not care much for fallowers but have seen several people who have like 20k reads but have much more fallowers than some authors who obviously do not “hunt” fallowers even they do really have sucesfull story.

I kida have feeling from what you write that even if it would be the most populat author with hundresds of milions of reads if he would not have instagram he is not big author.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Well I respect your point of view, but Kinda cant resonate with it.:grinning:

1 Like
Sorry this is long 💀

No, at least not entirely. I wasn’t saying that followers were the only factor, but generally speaking ‘bigger authors’ tend to have many followers and many reads. As for an author who has millions of reads and little to no followers, well I’ve known at least one of them and I wouldn’t consider them to be a big author since there isn’t recognition or popularity. They’re not talked about, they’re not tagged, their future projects have little to no recognition/performance.
I haven’t looked at my follower count for quite some time, but last I checked it was in the 14-14.2k range, but I am a small author because I don’t actually have much engagement or recognition, I don’t have any well known stories with tons of reads and I’m not in the payment program. Even at its peak when I was more active on there, which was 16.4k around 2.5-3 years ago, I was still a small author, so I do know that followers are definitely not the only factor.

I don’t think a lot of reads necessarily determines how ‘big’ someone is and I don’t think followers necessarily determine how big someone is either, but generally speaking most authors I’ve seen in the categories I’ve put in my previous reply, small, medium, big have a corresponding number of reads ranging from a few hundred to millions but it isn’t the case for every single person. It just helps me broadly categorize at a glance.
I’ve seen people with a lot of followers who aren’t popular authors or even authors at all, but in the general scheme of things, I look at reads, popularity, chance of story success, and followers to determine my own opinion of who’s small, medium or big and from observation, those with many followers have a bigger reach, more exposure, quicker reads, more interaction resulting in more attention, and a decently sized fan base for their next story.

I don’t know personally of anyone who’s done that (but I have seen a few people called out for it that I’d never heard of nor seen prior), but I don’t think fake followers would guarantee success into being a bigger author because that’s all fake followers are… fake. There’s no real interest in the author’s work, not really any engagement, exposure, shares of the author’s work etc. but in my response, I was referring to authors that have genuinely built up their fan base with real followers and have/haven’t yet reaped the rewards that can come with that.

That’s a grey area for me, because like I said, I’ve known at least one person who had millions of reads but a small amount of followers and basically no recognition (this was back in the day of ink). If I had seen their story in more places for recommendations, or screenshots in people’s stories, and people following them, then perhaps I would’ve considered them a bigger author, but they themselves didn’t see themselves as a bigger author. :woman_shrugging:t3:
I also don’t doubt that there’d be plenty of authors like her, with millions of reads who haven’t been heard of before and aren’t well known.
I’m not saying every author needs to have Ig, but I definitely think popularity comes into play in categorizing authors, more so than just in the forms of reads, even followers, (word-of-mouth, sharing, recommendations etc) and can definitely contribute to an author becoming bigger.

I hope that answer was more clear. :full_moon_with_face::heart:
Again, sorry this is so long… I wasn’t planning to write that much—

1 Like

I typically view how big an author is depending on their fanbase. For example, for Sea of Thieves (or something like that, i forgot the name :sob: ), I’ve noticed that the author has a pretty big and relevant fanbase that’s constantly interacting with each other and having discussions abt the author’s story, meme-ing, making fan edits, etc. I mean, i’m pretty sure mid-size authors can have fanbases like that too but that’s typically how i’ve always seen it.

1 Like

OK I get your point basicly if I interpret it you base limit of big author on the fact he in in generall well known in epi comunity. That I can understand and can agree with.

Even I would probably call this one gigant authors for myself.:smiley: As my personal limit for big author is bit lower. But I believe I get your point.

Even I am not sure how to aply it on myself … I actually am in payment section yet not being good with social media I have slightly over 1k fallowers on instagram.

So in this therms you are much bigger author then me obviously, because nobody knows me and you are pretty popular​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

OK I am just going to find a stone under which I will crawl.:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah activity of the fans that make sense.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some authors who have 100k plus reads but still just over 1k followers and also people who have 2k reads with 4-5k followers. So I just don’t understand how do these numbers work

Well, I- I basically live under a rock because I’m not well inversed in who’s who and who’s done what, so you don’t need to find one, you can crawl under mine lmao. :joy:

I’m not popular, like at all though, I’m pretty sure any popularity I had died years ago when I stopped updating and stopped interacting on there and even though writing was (and still is) my main passion, I think I got most of my followers from my edits and art, perhaps even by association too because I editing and art was a lot easier and quicker than updating. :full_moon_with_face:

Also, congratulations on getting into the writer payments! I saw that you got in recently.

Yeah I believe its in this cases not about popularity of the story but about popularity of the person itself.

I mean you can have a lot of fallowers not being good in anything special but if people like your post you will get falowers.

So its about how well you can sell yourself on social media… dont ask me since I am terrible in it.:sweat_smile:

But therefore I kinda struggle see the number of fallowers as a proof of being big author. Since as said you can have lot of fallowers and not being author at all.:woman_shrugging:

thank you I am on my way under your stone!

1 Like

Usually a big author is one whose stories are not only the ones popular but they themselves are popular. Yes, when you already have a fan base it’s easier to become popular. But I personally think there are many “small” authors whose stories are so good while they have only about 1k reads or so while there are many “big” authors with stories which I personally didn’t like but they have many reads. So I think it depends on if their story/ies is/are versatile enough to be liked by many readers of different opinions.

Besides, not all people have insta or are not that active on social media (like myself here) and so they can’t advertise their stories while others post regularly about their stories on their social media where so many people can see them. So in my opinion using reads or author popularity as a measure for the success of the author is not good. It should be on the rating of the story.

Lol, I’m so bad at expressing my own opinions. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Totally agree. I think a lot of big authors (big meaning popular on instagram, etc.) can easily get a lot of reads even if their stories are not amazing, while smaller authors don’t.

While I think the borders are probably determined by follower count or their popularity, it doesn’t necessarily mean their stories are the best or better than others if that makes sense.

Personally I see the border in the amount of followers, but of course it’s different for every author, so the amount of followers someone has doesn’t always mean they are a big or small author.

1 Like

yes but a good story doesn’t necessarily mean the author is seen as big, right?

But the ratings in mean that the story for a longer period stays in the top of overall stories definitely shows that the story is in general popular no matter if the author itself is active in social medias.

1 Like