Where Is My ATLA Fans? ❤️

Hey y’all so I finally finished watching Avatar: The last airbender series (I know I’m 13 years late but I use to watch it as a kid with my friend. I guess I didn’t understand the topic and didn’t really enjoy as a kid but now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:) and wow :star_struck::star_struck:. I’m speechless on how it could affect us teenagers and young adults. I cried, I laughed, I screamed. This series made me feel so many emotions, I LITERALLY can’t express them. And after finishing the series, I found out that they made a live action movie on it. I heard lots of bad reviews from tiktok and friends and you know what I should have listened. I just thought it was the lack of determination in the arts. I thought it couldn’t be that bad. But I was completely and utterly wrong :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:. I need to express my emotions right now because I feel awful so this is a rant platform for you to express any opinions and feelings about the movie because I want to hear them. Let me start first

My rant

I’m literally so disappointed in everything in this movie. It was so disrespectful to all of the audience and I’m baffled from such careless work. The movie is basically the replica of a white person saying the n word and as a black person, I understand the disappointment and anger from that. I will bet a million dollars the producers and directors did not watch the series and maybe went on spark notes to found summaries for the series at this point. :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: Let’s begin:

The Lack of Culture
So when I first saw the movie, I got to see Katara. I didn’t recognize her at first and I thought she was an extra until the Sokka says “Katara”. I couldn’t breathe! I still had hope in the movie and I guess I was okay to see Katara as a white person but then I saw Sokka and I lost my shit. What the fuck is that? I was disappointed in the fake appearance of Katara and Sokka. Recently, my friend told me that the water tribe was actually based on Inuit people and the fact that they made the extras an actual depiction of what they were suppose to look like but have the main characters WHITE is :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:. Wow :open_mouth:. You know what made me even more mad was that at one point, Zuko in the beginning of the movie, tells everyone to get their elders. Every elder in the movie had a realistic appearance except the grandma. THE GRANDMA WAS WHITE. SHE WAS LITERALLY THE ONLY WHITE ELDER IN THE GROUP. So then I find out that the fire nation in the movie, I believe was based around India. From recent videos, I found out that the fire nation were based on Japan or China (one of them, I can’t remember). Like I like that they include more diversity but the fact that, that diversity group is the villains in the movie is :nauseated_face:. I like how they added diversity but I kind of expected asians. It kind of looked awkward and weird. Idk :woman_shrugging:t5: But the airbenders were depicted well I guess , I think the only thing that bothered me was the girls in the lesson that aang had in the past. Apparently, if you see in the series, the air temple that aang grew up in was surrounded by boys. I think the two air temples had only males and the other had only females and I believe they did that on purpose so again it was kind of awkward. Listen, I’m not trying to downgrade any race. I believe all race are beautiful in their own way but you have to understand that ATLA was already based on certain people and it kind of felt awkward watching something different.

The Costume and Hair
Ok now… next thing that irritated the hell out of me. The hair of Katara and Sokka. WHAT? WHERE ARE THE HAIR LOOPS? Huh that was literally Katara’s signature look and the fact that they did an awful job of it is again :face_vomiting::face_vomiting:. Then I looked at Sokka and what is this honey? First of all the ponytail is so fake. It literally looks like they just added it there out of carelessness. THAT IS CLOWN SHIT. Then we go to costumes. The costume weren’t bad, bad, they were just okay. The only thing that looked weird was aang’s outfit and the fire nation outfit. It felt again weird and gave me an eerie feeling. Who is that guy? That not uncle Iroh, the loving uncle. That literally a pirate. Anyways…Now onto Zuko. WHERE IS YOUR SCAR? All I see is a little scratch. The scar was to depict his hardship and determination in getting the avatar after failing his father. Throughout ur series, he used his scar as a way to seek goodness. And the fact that they simply neglected and carelessly added the scar is disrespectful. I mean, I can find better makeup artist on instagram and tiktok. It’s not a big deal. Just add it!!
The Script/ Plotline
So I understood that the movie was going to be a little rushed since there was a lot of content in the series that they would need to push into the movie but to be honest, I rather have a movie that picks out important scenes and let it slowly and calmly flow through the movie. There were so many switches in the movie like one point they are in the earth kingdom and the next, they are in the fire nation. It’s too much to process. There wasn’t a time where we could feel a connection to the characters at all. Secondly, the script was so awkward and I couldn’t feel empathy or real emotions towards the characters. One part that mad me burst with anger was the part where aang say this inspirational speech to the earth-benders to fight against the fire nation. First of all, that was Katara’s lines and that speech was used for when they were in prison with Huro and his father. Also that time Zuko almost got blown, well that was never general Zhao, it was the pirates. I will say the landscape was nice, that’s it.

Personality
Ok Sokka. Huh? Who is this guy? Sokka is not serious. In fact at one point, aang lashed out on Sokka about his Jokes in the series and that personality he had really define him as a character. This Sokka was like the older brother Sokka was suppose to be but wasn’t and to be honest, I liked it better when he was funny and childish sometimes. Sokka in the movie was like the annoying older brother who wouldn’t let Katara do anything and he had some anger issues in the movie ngl :eyes:. Second person was Katara,. Katara was suppose to be this independent girl who actually bossed everyone around but instead she was this whimpering kid who literally did nothing in the movie and stared at aang half the time. Zuko’s character had the right intention but it just didn’t work out. There were some parts where it felt weird. Like Zuko in the series during the time where aang was in the spiritual world at the northern water tribe sacred place was kind of nice to Katara. I mean after he slammed her to the ground, he went up to her and said sorry but I want my honour back. That not Zuko in the first season. He would have left and took Aang with him period point blank. Idk​:woman_shrugging:t5: And then Uncle Iroh. I was so mad in the movie where they made the uncle useless. Like when General Zhao (Commander Zhao actually) took the moon fish and was about to kill it, they made Iroh stand there. In the series, Iroh warned Zhao of the consequences and even threatened him. What is this movie? And then after Zhao kills the fish, Iroh blast out a smoke of fire. And that’s it. He didn’t attack anyone or chase the General. No no, he literally stood there and that it. DISRESPECTFUL :clap:t5:Oh and we don’t want to forget the fire lord Ozai. So in the series, we don’t actually get to see Ozai until season three but in the movie, we see him right away. The sucky part in the movie was the king’s personality. In the movie, they made him care and still love this son but really he suppose to not give a dime about him. In fact, he hates him after Zuko lashed out in the war meeting so the fire lord does not care nor think about his son.
Missing Characters
Suki
Huros ( I cant spell his name right sorry)
His father
The cabbage guy
Jet and his gang
I can’t remember more at this time

Pronunciation
Apparently Aang is Ong
Sokka is Socka
Iroh is Eroh
That’s all I can think of rn but there might be more!:slight_smile:
The worst part was that they said it throughout the movie repeatedly. :roll_eyes:

The Moves
The moves were horrible period. I can’t even express the awkwardness and the lack of determination in learning the arts.

Ok I’m done and I feel so much better

14 Likes

yesss!! what do u think about the LOK? i haven’t watched it and i cant watch it because i love Aang and the GAang :sob: and my favorites are dead in that series

3 Likes

Ik I just started watching the first episode. I didn’t get to finish but I’m honestly scared from what people have said. Like people dying and the gang being all old is weird

3 Likes

yess aang will always be my avatar lolol

3 Likes

OMG YESSS! I’M SO GLAD TO KNOW I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE IN LOVE WITH THAT SHOW!
Honeslty I never got around to watching the movie because people always kept talking about how terrible it was and I didn’t want to ruin the wonderful picture atla had created in my head. :sob::joy:

4 Likes

i watched the movie and i cant stop laughing XDD (watch it if u like cringy stuffs)

4 Likes

I’ve watched the series at least 4 times :skull:

4 Likes

Yup it’s pretty much a burning peace of trash. And even though they have diversity it’s completely wrong since every nation is based on a different culture and they completely ignored that. The fire nation for example are inspired by the japanese/chinese/korean culture, where I believe they had completely different ethnicity in the cast.

And yea zukos scar :expressionless: or should i say lack of a scar. It’s one of the most important symbols in the entire series. The permanent disfigurement that represented his emotional scars as well as physical. It was such a huge part of his personality and in the movie its hardly even visible which totally defeats the point!

4 Likes

Felt thisss

3 Likes

Watching LoK isn’t worth it anyways, I wish I could erase it from my mind.

1 Like

my wallpapers are literally atla screen caps because i love this show too much-

also, thoughts on the upcoming live adaption?
i refuse to watch it because the original atla creators left the project,+ there’s probably going to be hundreds of cliche teen drama because of netflix :sneezing_face:

4 Likes

Watched it on nick when I was younger. its an amazing show.

and the live action is garbage.

also have you watched Korra

4 Likes

Yea I was kinda excited to see where they would take it, but I just found out that the creators left and so did my interest :see_no_evil: I mean ofc it can still be good and enjoyed by people, but my expectations aren’t high

2 Likes

I personally love LOK.
I always advise people to watch it with a fresh mind and don’t compare it to ATLA. The creators went through A LOT of trouble with Nickelodeon which is why it’s a bit wonky at times but they really did the best they could with what the were given.

Seasons 3-4 are chefs kiss

3 Likes

YAY ATLA FANS ON EPIII

I’m very happy!

2 Likes

Wait guys did you hear abt the creators leaving the Netflix live action series bc of creative differences.

I’m kinda scared…

5 Likes

Yup, I don’t know if that’s good or bad, I wonder what those creative differences are.

3 Likes

I bet Netflix wanted to pronounce Aang Ing. Idk, we’re just going through all the vowels.

3 Likes

:joy: Well I hope it’s not because of whitewashing the cast or aging them up too much. I will still check it out if it comes out one day, we’ll see.

2 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes