Where is the new contest?

Maybe I’m just eager bc I’ve never been able to enter a contest before (too late, didnt wanna write about the theme, etc) and I’m finally ready with ideas and on time, but I’ve been observing the dates of past contest announcements and it seems like they should have announced a new one a couple days ago? Unless im just bad at math? Do they just randomly announce contests somewhere around the 2 month mark? Is the number of days you have until the deadline different each time? Do they announce it at exactly midnight? (in what timezone?) I’d just love to know the exact date or even the time of day it’ll be announced, or educated guesses.

6 Likes

I was wondering where the new contest was. they usually announce it a few days or a week after the deadline. maybe they’re trying to find ideas :thinking:

3 Likes

yeah thats what i was thinking. or maybe if its for halloween they want to wait longer so the deadline falls closer to halloween ? but i dont know if they did that last year.

2 Likes

Nah it would fall good now for halloween. since they also shall pick winners and such.

2 Likes

maybe they havent decided on a theme yet then lolll

2 Likes

Maybe @Liz might know.

2 Likes

Same I really wish that they were a lot more clearer about this

1 Like

Last year’s Halloween contest- Thriller- was announced on August 18th. So my educated guess would be next Monday or Tuesday if not this week.

5 Likes

Yes I just checked a post where they explain their functioning and they say very clearly that we have 6-8 weeks to enter once they’ve announced it. So if they announced it around the 18th of August, then the deadline would be at max a week and a half away from Halloween. That’s probably the reason why they haven’t announced it yet :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Last year it was announced on August 18th and the winners were announced on October 18th which was actually a week earlier than I think most of us were expecting since it wasn’t the week of Halloween.

Most contests have roughly an 8 week deadline with exceptions like Spotlight lol. I think that was 5 weeks because of the style.

3 Likes

Then I think it would be pretty safe to say we can expect to see the announcement soon. I can’t wait :smile:

2 Likes

I think they’re trying to give us room to breathe in between contests as requested by many. I know for people coming in new, contests can be exciting, but it’s been literally non stop for years. I’m personally enjoying this time to look at the previous contest stories and just chill! And I’m sure they’ll give us enough time to write for the next contest.

3 Likes

yeah thats a valid point! i dont mind it being spaced out a little and people who have been into contests for a while deserve a break in between. we can also use this time to read more AW entries instead of dedicating all our spare time to coding for the new contest lol. i guess im just excited to know the next theme because i have ideas that would work perfectly for halloween but if they announce something like Horror as the theme then i can stop stressing about figuring out my new story bc im bad at writing horror lol. but as of now im waiting to code in case i need to change the plot to fit the theme more. im just excited to code for once and i hope my inspiration isnt gone by the time they announce the theme :grimacing:

1 Like

Hey all,

We are going to be taking a break from Writer’s Contests for a bit. We’ve got a couple big internal projects going on right now that are preventing us from running and judging them. Currently, it looks like contests will be back sometime in the New Year.

You will see the Winner’s Shelf for Another World in the next few weeks.

In the meantime, we are still going to be running themed shelves and taking community recommendations for stories to feature on them. We are also working on some Halloween themed content for October.

46 Likes

Okay, thank you for the update! Now that I have that info I can just work on my story without having to worry if itll fit a contest theme lol.

Maybe the team should consider making an announcement on instagram about the break so that others know they can relax as well?

5 Likes

Ah thank you for telling us!

:frowning: . At least it’s giving me time to catch up on every other contest, starting from the fantastical:")

Well there goes my Episode resolution to enter two contests this year :see_no_evil:

Who am I kidding? That was never going to happen lol

10 Likes

Man, I wanted to make a halloween contest for the community, damn. :pensive:

5 Likes

The horror genre is fairly lacking. No reason why you can’t create your own Halloween contest for the community :slight_smile:

7 Likes