Who else agrees that Mafia Stories are overrated?

To be honest, I’m so sick of the word “overrated”. Especially with my story being a mafia story, and people saying in my fan mail “Your story doesn’t deserve these reads”… my story does deserve these reads. Personally I think it’s about knowing who your demographic audience is, mine is mostly people who are interested with the mafia, (obviously not their killing sprees, and drug deals etc.) but how it all began and the different relationships that come out of it. Of course why I see people think it’s “overrated” as it’s the only thing you see in the trending section, however you can’t come at an author for having a million reads and calling their story overrated - it’s completely discrediting the author. You can do so many things with mafia stories, the overall story may not even be about the mafia, if anyone has read my story they’ll know that it is about friendship, enemies and finding love in a dark world. Please just think about what you call overrated, as it certainly would hurt any author’s feelings… as it did mine. :heart:

She is pointing out your biased points, honey if you walk the walk, don’t talk the talk. :heart:

If you have a problem with the overrated mafia stories, tell that to the millions of readers watching them… don’t ever discredit any author, and that’s what I have seen scrolling through this topic.

Oof… Girl. I do agree that mafia stories are overrated and terrible for many reasons, but you’ve just gone too far with this post. Everyone’s opinion is technically welcome on any thread as long as everyone stays somewhat on topic and respects the guidelines. I understand the frustration but speaking like this to people isn’t helping the point you’re trying to make.

To anyone who’s worried that this thread might be “offensive”:
Constructive criticism can and will sometimes offend artists. But that’s not a reason to shut it down. You’re choosing to put your work out there; you will get praised but also criticized. And just like you chose to put your work out there, you have the right to choose which criticism you listen to and which you don’t, while hopefully being self-aware and honest with yourself. This thread’s title is very clear, so you got to admit that you did choose to come here and look at people’s negative thoughts regarding mafia stories, knowing that you might get offended. Also, it doesn’t matter how much “work” an author puts in their story and it doesn’t matter how popular it is. Popularity does not equal good, I don’t think I can stress this enough.

Anyone can voice their opinions as long as it remains respectful. The relationship between art and the criticism of that art is a complex one but is necessary if you want to get better at your craft and share your work with the world. Don’t constantly beat yourself down for your mistakes but do learn from them and seek to better yourself (that’s for authors, readers, everyone).

Anyway, good luck with your stories, to any authors here.
And have a nice day, everyone :blush:

EDIT: I didn’t want to post on here again due to all the arguing. But I just don’t want this thread to be taken down because of people throwing insults and going overboard with their rants.

@Dahlia_Blossom I totally get that you don’t like mafia stories, but I don’t think you should be yelling at people just because they may disagree with you or have opinions on your thread being offensive. I definitely feel that mafia stories are pretty unrealistic and always have the same plot, but I don’t totally despise them. (This is not hate!)

But I used to be a victim of cyber bullying and it hurts a lot when someone calls you dumb, it can really diminish someone’s self esteem, so just be mindful of that :slightly_smiling_face:

@AllyJay I agree with you. I’ve scrolled through every comment. While some posts may be constructive criticism, some may not be. Comments like “You should improve on…” are okay but some like “They don’t deserve million reads,” , “their ideas are bad” are not wanted here. This is the reason.

Sure, I understand what you mean. However, everyone can voice their opinions. Whether they want to give constructive criticism or just rant and vent, that’s up to them, as long as they respect the forum guidelines. No one can shut it down simply because it offends them. Just like you have every right to express your discomfort with some of the comments you see, they have the right to continue ranting and criticizing (again, as long as it stays within the guidelines). A thread is, by default, meant for discussion and debate, in my opinion. So I think your point of view is welcome here too. Doesn’t matter if we agree or disagree :slightly_smiling_face:

Although, this is a thread meant to criticize and rant about mafia stories, so negative talk about mafia stories and people strongly disagreeing with you if you like mafia stories is to be expected.

She’s has the right to say those things, though :woman_shrugging: Just like you can voice how it upsets you. After all, she’s not making personal attacks on a particular author or story, so those comments are just criticizing the genre in general, which I also find problematic (the genre, not her comments). You can choose to just ignore those comments if they really affect you so much now that you’ve already expressed your thoughts about them :slightly_smiling_face:

Guys, let’s please stay on topic. This thread is for people who agree Mafia Stories are overrated. There is no need for a fight. Please PM anybody if you have a problem with what they said and explain to them your concerns. Thank you. :face_with_monocle::sparkling_heart:

I don’t really like Mafia either but in case this gets out of hand. Anyway, I’ll just be leaving this topic unless the critisizm is back again. I’m just viewing from my own angle all this time so I guess I should understand @Dahlia_Blossom 's view too. Sorry for causing such trouble. I’ll be leaving this thread.

I agree, it doesn’t give anyone the rights to confuse hate and criticism.

I have no idea whether the same words written below have been mentioned before or not but… well –

I think Mafia stories shouldn’t always revolve around the protagonists falling in love with the Mafia persons. I think most of these stories can depict the dangers related to getting involved with these kind of underworld organisations. It would give a real sense to the story. It doesn’t mean that the story wouldn’t have any romance then. Try it with the MC and the detective or cop helping him/her. Be creative and let your story be a medium to provide awareness to thousands of people out there! Who knows, maybe your story can also save an innocent life out there? And it all doesn’t have to revolve around romance only – what about friendship and family? What about the story of a Mafia-involved father and his innocent teen son who knows absolutely nothing who his father is and who he is working for? What about two best friends who, previously involved in gang-business, make it out of their drug-trafficking and substance-abuse? What about a female who is an Army General and Ex-Military Officer, working invisibly in the Mafia, and her goal to shut down the terrible organization and free thousands of innocents from its illegal and cruel grasp?
I really wish that one day there would be a horde of empowering stories on Episode, where each story would have its own unique meaning and utility for the community. I hope that this wish would come true one day :yellow_heart:.

I agree.

I need this thread honestly. These Mafia stories are so dumb, fetishized to much, and shown as a good thing which isn’t. The Mafia is dangerous and shouldn’t be romanticized. :roll_eyes: People really need to stop

I wouldn’t say overrated. It’s a good story plot if it’s done correctly. Problem is the ones done on Episode lack diversity. If you’ve read one, you’ve read them all. Then again, you have to remember that a good chunk of Episode readers are teenage girls.

Agreed… :joy: