Why are braces and glasses considered ugly?

I wear glasses too :yay: I actually never thought of them as ugly or know anyone who has, they are effective, helping me to see and stores that sell glasses (the ones I’ve been to) feature models wearing glasses and looking good on posters. I mean if sunglasses are cool then glasses should be too :joy: but for real it’s 2021, so many people wear glasses, we should be over any glasses wearing hatred that exists by now :nerd_face: Braces, can’t say much. As a kid I needed braces but they were so expensive and the issue was brushed to the side later on so I never got them :woman_shrugging: I’m an adult now and getting braces…well, I still brush it aside :joy: I guess now’s a good time to get it because of COVID 19 and mask covering the mouth but because they cost so much and the fact that I’m brushing the issue to the side again I’ll probably wait after my education so in a few years :laughing: Braces, I think more people find hideous as opposed to glasses (just look at shows like Ugly Betty) which is ridiculous because you need to fix your teeth. Doesn’t matter how something should look as long as it gets the job done :heart: To conclude, both accessories are effective and beautiful :muscle: :blob_hearts:

3 Likes

In my school you’ll be instantly popular if you have braces and you are “So BeAuTiFuL” if you have braces. That’s because I want braces but sadly I don’t need them :pleading_face:

1 Like

I wear glasses currently and had braces a few years ago… I just feel bad abt myself because all these models and all the socialites have no glasses or braces… This is one of the main reasons. But I think it lies in the eyes of the beholder :sunny: :eyes: :heart:

2 Likes

Hm, I never really thought about it. Media definitely plays a part, yes. Maybe it also comes from a self-important perspective like: “haha, you need help doing/being something I can do/be naturally,” which kind of sounds like micro-ableist rhetoric when you think about it :thinking: I agree it’s a pretty idiotic bias, though. I got a pair of skinny, gold frames over the summer and looove how they fit my face :drooling_face: :hearts:

2 Likes

i dont get it like people with braces are fixing their teeth. The people who bully them are just jealous they can’t afford it. I had braces and no one really bullied me. They just didnt care and when i got them in 4th the teacher was like “omg u got braces?!”. My cousin would call me brace face as a joke but other than that no one cared.

1 Like

I was always on and off with my glasses, and it was because of those damn makeover hollywood movies :unamused: But I’m wearing glasses since I can remember, and I look so bland without them, I.LOVE.WEARING.GLASSES. Besides, glasses are REALLY trendy right now. People even wear them without description. This ‘ugly’ trope needs to die.

2 Likes

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 5 and I got braces when I was 12 (I still wear glasses and have braces.) and most people I know wants braces because they think braces make people look prettier, now glasses can’t say because some people I know don’t really say anything about glasses.

2 Likes

It can sometimes be seen as one having imperfections. Just like back in the day villains were sometimes people with disabilities.

I always think about the movie Hunchback of Notre Dame.

2 Likes

Probably because if you have to wear glasses and braces, you’re “missing something, so you’re not perfect” (no good eye sight and your teeth don’t stand good (idk how to say that)) :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I actually love glasses on people! And braces aren’t that bad looking either, I used to have them :grin:

1 Like

It’s just one of those things that are dubbed unattractive because they’re a bit different. Like, I wear glasses for computer activities and I find them adorable? I also had braces and I didn’t deem them ugly, either. Both of these are actively improving your quality of life, and that’s the most important thing.

1 Like

They’re associated with the awkward phases of puberty and nerds. And we all know how nerds are portrayed in the media.

1 Like

idek because all the people who wear glasses or braces at my school are popular and have/had a partner before

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.