Why can stories feature Trump?

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question!

I’ve read quite a few featured stories/stories by paid authors that include Trump as a character. Usually, it’s just a throwaway joke, but I was a but curious about this! I know that we can’t use celebrities or real people as characters, would the president somehow fall under some different category?

3 Likes

@Sydney_H could you move this? I posted this in the wrong topic!

1 Like

I mean I’d say it wasn’t allowed since he is a celeb, but maybe you could make a character named ‘Dump’ or something really similar and make him look the same? Haha

6 Likes

you can mention him, as OMG did you see what trump tweeted,

you cant have him appear as a character or be a plot point, like going to a trump.you can mention a character is going but you can follow them there.

3 Likes

I don’t believe you are supposed/allowed to use the name of any celebrities or brands, but you can slightly change the name. For example: epple, EBI, Epibucks, Ronald Bump (or something like that) etc.

But like line said, bringing the name up shouldn’t cause any issues.

You cannot have Trump in your story it’s a guideline violation.

Real People and Places
No images or illustrated likenesses of celebrities or historical or contemporary public figures are allowed as characters or on backgrounds, overlays or story cards
Celebrities and historical or contemporary public figures cannot appear as characters
Celebrities, historical or contemporary public figures, and real places cannot be a plot point or drive the story.

2 Likes

Interesting question. :thinking:

Honestly, I don’t think that’s allowed. Episode typically makes exceptions for stories they like/promote, though. :roll_eyes:

I think these are parodies. Parodies are generally fine, but you have to make sure it very exaggerated version of him (like even more). But the character cannot be named “Trump”

I never seen or heard that before.
You can’t use a celebrity name or put him in the story.

The first one that comes to mind is “My Alien Lover,” which had a character named Trump or was a direct reference to him. Since that story was made into a featured story, I was curious about Episode’s guidelines on why that’s allowed!

1 Like

@EpisodePistachio @ssea.episode

I think that makes sense! It’s interesting, I’ve seen a few stories with Trump parodies but I feel like I haven’t seen other celebrities parodied/referenced like that.

2 Likes

Yes, I know what you’re talking about. That is parody and the character is not named “Trump” he’s just called “The President” and like I mentioned it’s exaggerated. If it’s exaggerated that’s fine.

2 Likes

Interesting! I didn’t know about that loophole, that makes sense.

1 Like

Yes, parodies are fine generally. That’s why those skits of SNL and stuff don’t get in trouble.

2 Likes