Why do people hate pregnancy stories!?

I think it’s the fact that back in the day before Mafia stories were so popular, pregnancy stories used to be almost every story. people got bored and moved onto other things such as mafia. After a few years of not reading one I wouldn’t mind reading one if it’s well written with true facts of pregnancy and not too unoriginal. There have been so many great pregnancy stories and I kind of want to read some again.

3 Likes

I personally hate kids, I think it ruins the story

4 Likes

Maybe because most readers are too young to be dealing with pregnancy. I mean when I was like 15 that was the last thing on my mind… :rofl:
And maybe also because it often happens that pregnancies are written so unrealistic that you just can’t read it. Especially if you have been through it… I mean not everybody gets sick during pregnancy, pukes all the time, feels bad, gets cravings, mood swings etc. And not every childbirth starts with water breaking in the middle of a busy street. And it most certainly does not end with a mother dying during birth, unlike poor MC’s mother in every other story… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I mean, I think these r things pretty much everyone experiences. (Except for cravings) It’s like in adolescence, most ppl experience the same things. That being said, usually pregnancy is over glamorised. Making room for another human is not easy, but it’s important for a writer to make sure the symptoms continue all thru the story n not just when someone doesn’t know they’re pregnant. :white_heart:

2 Likes

I don’t mind pregnancy stories if they are good. I think people don’t like the overused clichés like “Pregnant by _______” where the main idea of the story is always the same! I personally don’t like how some authors show an unrealistic pregnancy or if they deal with sensitive topic related to pregnancy, like Abortion, too lightly. But maybe that’s just because I’m a sensitive person :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

personally, i’m young so i tend to enjoy reading stories with characters within my age range. i read a bunch of high school stories, and i don’t want children in real life so playing a character with one isn’t for me. like people said above, it’s cool when the pregnancy is near the middle or end of the story.

good luck, though!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I just don’t like kids, so I’ll avoid pregnancy stories like the plague simply because it doesn’t interest me.

1 Like

LMFAOO alright :rofl: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I Agree

1 Like

i’m okay with the mc female getting pregnant at the end but in the beginning or middle it’s just too fast. teen pregnancies stories are also in my opinion not it for me because it’s a real trigger to some people. most of the stories of teen pregnancies are the mc getting less of the punishment than the actual teen parents did in real life. same with getting pregnant with a gang leader, mafia, or someone way older than the mc. it’s not my type of story i’d read but at the same time everyone has different taste and i cant speak for them.

1 Like

I don’t mind them, but I hate it when they get pregnant by some bad boy or whatever, it’s weird

4 Likes

This is honestly one of the main reasons why I dislike the pregnancy trope in stories.

It is almost always used as a plot point where the MC and LI have hit a rocky patch/separated and somehow the introduction of a child will somehow bring them back together. Whilst I can appreciate this can happen, let’s be real - a child is not a reason for two people to be together. Many people are able to easily co-parent and give a child a good upbringing without the need for parents to be in an actual relationship with each other.

It would be nice to see authors create other scenarios to bring the characters back together (if that is their storyline) as opposed to using the same hidden/unplanned pregnancy plot.

7 Likes

It’s disgusting honestly, children and babies being used as the glue that prevents two people from drifting apart. “If I get pregnant with his child he’ll have to stick around!”

Doesn’t matter if she’s not actually wishing for a child to bless her life so that she can teach them how to become a good human being. Nope, she’s just gonna use that innocent little soul to force some dude to stay with her. And if it’s not an intentional pregnancy, it’s the author who’s implying that that’s how it works. Gross.

Really, I feel so bad and sad for those children EVEN IF THEY’RE FICTIONAL. Call me sensitive, I don’t care. It’s called empathy :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

I don’t hate them (hate is a strong word) but I don’t like them either. Firstly, these type of stories promote the idea that everyone’s goal is to have kids and that it’s something that makes u “a family” like when the girl in story gets pregnant characters usually say “we are gonna be a family now” like no you can be a family without kids too. I personally don’t want to have children and I know people who don’t want them either so these types of stories irritate me for that reason like the couple doesn’t need to become pregnant for an ending to be happy. And I think the representation is very important so people should see similar thinking people and see that they are not alone and that there are also people who are just like them. Family friends always ask when do I plan to have children and when I say never it’s like I just said something forbidden or unforgiving, like if looks could kill… and that can sometimes make you feel like you are in the wrong or that your opinions aren’t valid… so I think that young people on episode should be able to see that it’s okay not to have kids too and do whatever they decide to do. Secondly, pregnancy in stories are usually used just as a plot device so the story can go forward with adding some more drama and usually a woman is back on her feet right after giving birth and her body is back to normal as well like no it doesn’t work like that… now with limelight they could at least give her “soft body shape” (I think that’s the name for it , there is a little tummy). Another problem I see is the animation like there are either normal not pregnant shaped bodies or a a pregnant body with a huge belly, like pregnancy lasts for 9 months and the belly is growing throughout that whole time it doesn’t magically become that big over night, so I think that episode should at least add one more pregnancy belly which is like medium sized (larger than normal belly but smaller that the big bump). That are some of the reasons I don’t like pregnancy stories and if it’s too unrealistic I will even stop reading cause it just makes me mad to see it portrayed like that. I hope I explained it well and sorry if there are some grammatical/spelling mistakes English is not my first language :blush:

1 Like

I don’t really like them because most of them are cliche (like MC and LI have a one night stand and MC is just suddenly pregnant the next day). Also, often, pregnancy is just used to stir up drama and I don’t think stories portray pregnancy and how it affects both the man and woman realistically. And, the men that usually get the women pregnant are not really people who would be great fathers.

Plus, as a lesbian, pregnancy is probably just the straightest thing on the planet and sooooo bland. Like, it’s all that a lot of straight people only have going on or looking forward to. Pregnancy just is not that interesting. I would love to read a story though of a same-sex couple’s journey in having children though.

3 Likes