Why does my overlay POP in like some kind of maniac

So I’m really bad at overlays. Like I just don’t get them at all :joy:

For some reason when I try to get this overlay to move from zone 2 to zone 1 it doesnt
It just kinda POPS in like magic (or like a spot command)

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?
And also maybe redirect me to a good overlay guide :joy:

themisterbigfootscene

1 Like

I don’t know much about overlays either but this could help:
https://forums.episodeinteractive.com/t/a-guide-to-using-animating-overlays

1 Like

I get you, overlays were confusing to me when I first started.

You have to specify timing in your scale and/or shift commands depending on what you want to do. If you want it move over visibly from one zone to the other, you should add something like “@overlay Doggie_Ear shifts to 183 -20 in zone 1 in 3” or whatever time you want it to be, in seconds. I can help you more if you like by telling me what exactly is going on in the scene :grinning:.

Also, I would recommend you include all your overlay commands to the background name instead of below it. Otherwise your overlay may not show up immediately between scene changes. And you don’t need to use timing in beats, you can use seconds and save yourself some valuable space!

This post covers pretty much everything you need to know about normal overlays.

1 Like

OH. MY. GOD.

YOU DID IT. YOU FREAKING DID IT.

It’s FIXeD. :smiley: Now Mister Bigfoot (the dog) isn’t popping in like Jason Vorhees!

Except I have no idea what this means :joy:

Yes! I’m so glad that helped! :grinning:

About timing, I mean your pause commands. You can use “@pause for 2” in line 96 instead of “@pause for a beat” for 2 lines. Right now it probably doesn’t matter, but if you ever write a chapter that’s more than a few thousand lines, you will be trying to save as much space as you can!

1 Like

oh my god :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: lol

how didnt i know that

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.