Why is my trashy story getting more reads?

What can I say, people seem to love the trash :joy: (Iā€™m definaltey not one of them by the way, so no offense, I would never even open what you refer to as your ā€˜trashā€™ story by the sounds of it). But if you had a story that you were passionate about and was written well with an intreugeing and original plot, Iā€™d be allllll over it! (Which it sounds like you might have?)
I think it comes down to, do you just want reads, or do you want to write something youā€™re proud of. I know which of those Iā€™d rather have.

4 Likes

Have you seen the featured stories most of them are trash

1 Like

I think a lot of new writers start with the Seat of the Pants method where they donā€™t make any plan first (which isnā€™t necessarily bad! Stephen King writes his novels that way, although I imagine he has multiple drafts).
Then as writers mature, they discover which paradigms work for them, and may become heavy outlinersā€¦ or maybe not.

When I started writing and posting online at 12, I never planned out my stories. They were trash :joy:
Iā€™m a basic-outliner now.

1 Like

Lol I feel this post on a spiritual level

5 Likes

Oh, I have an idea. If youā€™re an author of a super popular but trashy story that you arenā€™t proud of anymore, I think you can change the title and the description and replace the code in the chapters with new code. The reads will stay intact, if Iā€™m not mistaken. This way, youā€™ll have a great story with lots of reads.

I understand that the fans will be upsetā€¦ But they may as well appreciate the new story and not be ashamed of liking a trashy one.

5 Likes

LMAO. I burst out of laugh when I saw this. I relate :upside_down_face:

This is quite brilliant. <3

2 Likes

Thatā€™s totally normal. I made a story like that on purpose to test the theory that a trashy story would get more reads than my main.
Hereā€™s the results.
Pregnant by the Badboy Prince - 12 chapters, trashy (300,000+ reads)
From The Other Side Series - 100 chapters, intentional story plot (47k)
Itā€™s a sad era on episode.

6 Likes

Haha, yes exactly :smile: If youā€™re not going to plan your story, at least make sure to write several drafts before putting it out there. Unless youā€™re an absolute master of your craft, and even then I donā€™t think youā€™ll likely create a masterpiece without thinking of a plan first.

1 Like

Closing due to one month of inactivity :slight_smile: