Why was Faking Death featured in the black history month shelf?

The main character is white. I just don’t genuinely understand if anyone can explain why a black history month shelf spot was given to an old story with a white main character than to a story with a black Mc. I’m sure there are plenty of quality stories with black main characters. I’m open to your opinions and views because I’m actually confused here.

18 Likes

yeah why did they add that one

3 Likes

It makes no sense and doesn’t deserve it.

5 Likes

But I thought this shelf was about promoting black authors AND black stories with black characters. In the cover, she’s obviously white.

16 Likes

Yes, the story may not feature an MC of colour however the people/person who have worked to create the story may be eligible for black history month! For example ‘Faking Death’ I know was written by S. Langdon who is in fact a black author, the shelf showcases ‘strong black voices’ -that is not confined to the stories themselves :blush:

15 Likes

The shelf should be filled with stories by black authors that have black Mc’s and the story has actual quality and talent!

10 Likes

I think it kind of defeats the purpose of a black history month shelf of the characters being represented are white. What if Episode featured stories with all white characters in this shelf just because the author was black? Wouldn’t it kind of be the same as any other shelf?

9 Likes

So? It’s a black history month shelf sis. What sense does that make to put a Non-Black Mc for a shelf on Black people? Black author or not, still.

7 Likes

Exactly it’s common sense people

3 Likes

Exactly.

1 Like

I do feel like there are great stories about black people that deserved a spot on the shelf. That one feels disingenuous. No shade at Langdon. It’s not her fault Episode chose a bad time to feature it.

19 Likes

I’m not gonna blame her because it isn’t her fault at all. I’m pissed at Episode for doing that. There are so many stories that could have gotten that spot but no–That one did. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

If you read the shelf explanation it clearly states the purpose of the shelf is to highlight the ‘strong voices’ of black people fictional or not.

6 Likes

Yeah, BLACK PEOPLE as in BLACK Mc’s AND authors. :tipping_hand_woman:t5:

4 Likes

It’s ‘Black History Month’ nobody ever specified it was strictly to feature the fictional characters authors have created.

3 Likes

Your logic: Feature Black Authors but not black Mc’s for Black History Month. In what way does that make sense? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

And no one specified it only had to be black authors. It said “Black Voices” which can mean Mc’s or Authors.

1 Like

‘Black Voices’ i’ve made my point, good day.

4 Likes

In my opinion, she’s already been featured A LOT. Does she really need her voice “highlighted”” when there are so many stories with BLACK characters by black authors that could have been a part of this shelf? If I want to see a a black history month shelf I want to see representation of characters as well. It’s common sense and Episode needs to stop being so tone deaf when it comes to this stuff. Edit: or if episode wanted to feature Langdon couldn’t they at least feature one of her stories with a black MC?

9 Likes

Well, it isn’t the first time Episode messed up. Is there at least a main character who’s black? I’m in no way condoning this, but um, the shelves for other ethnicity months have both the character and the author being of same background. I’m just confused.

5 Likes