Why was Faking Death featured in the black history month shelf?

I guess I’ll head out, since “my involvement is pointless”.

1 Like

Black or not, I don’t give a flying cr*p who you are. I’ll respect you if you respect me. Period! :speaking_head::roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It isn’t, she can’t handle opposing opinions and that’s what some lack. If you can’t handle an opposing opinion, you can have a good argument and that’s just a fact. :unamused:

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but:

If a white writer made a black MC who was amazing, I think they deserve a spot on the BHM thread more than an author who got there just for being black.

14 Likes

It’s not unpopular if it’s the truth. It’s still a black voice either way and something we can relate to.

2 Likes

And if they can do it well, that’s a pretty damn amazing achievement considering they get “I can’t relate to black people so I can’t write a black MC” shoved down their throats so much in this community.

5 Likes

Very true, I have to agree with that… Not everyone thinks the same.

1 Like

That’s how I feel about it too.
Same goes for other shelves like Asian Voices. A few people recommended me for that one and I asked them not too as none of my stories feature Asian characters. I would personally rather see a story featuring an Asian MC written by a white author than stories with no Asian characters written by Asian authors (I was personally disappointed with that particular shelf, but that’s my opinion. No disrespect to the authors who were on it).

8 Likes

that’s true. A well written poc character that resonates with people does a lot more for representation than just having the author be poc because we read episode for the stories.

2 Likes

I don’t even know about Langdon, I’m Asian, and I don’t even have access to the BHM shelf because of a glitch in my app. As an outsider, I feel what is the point of a Black History Month shelf if the main character isn’t black? Episode is about storytelling- it is not about the authors who wrote the stories, but about the chracters in the story and their stories. So, featuring a story with a white MC or a story not centered on black characters has nothing to do with Black History Month. Because the “voice” that the readers hear is from the story- through its characters, not the background of the author. So, if a white author were to have written a well-written story featuring a black main character, the voices of black people are being heard and portrayed and meeting the target and purpose of Black History Month, and should be featured over Faking Death. Readers don’t care about the race of the author when they start reading, so why should a criteria for being featured be race-based?

12 Likes

You hit the spot!

1 Like

Lol girl bye. I don’t know if you or anyone else notices but… we all have different cultures and beliefs. That means something’s will come off as rude to one person and not rude to another. You even knew it wasn’t polite hence your “No offense”. Let me tell you… when people say no offense then guess what… it tends to be viewed as offensive. Saying no offense doesnt protect it from being offensive. And I think “your defense is pointless” is very rude couldn’t care if people don’t agree. So goodbye I don’t want to talk to you. End of story.

1 Like

She said something against your opinion! She didn’t call you a serial killer! You got personal.

3 Likes

I’m surprised @loveyourself isn’t upset when you assumed their gender. :joy:

5 Likes

Can you stop? Most of you said something against my opinion. Did I react in the same way? No… so why do you keep saying that:::

3 Likes

Lmao :laughing:

1 Like

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Topic closed for the following rule violations