Will you continue to read the first chapter of a story if there is no customization?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends

0 voters

I want to make a story without customization, but I’m scared that no one will read even the first episode.

2 Likes

i dont even do them anymore

2 Likes

As long as i like the story line, I’m going to read.

4 Likes

I don’t understand why CC is such a necessity, some stories are better without them

9 Likes

CC isn’t necessary, so yeah, I would.

4 Likes

2019 and people still think customisation is crucial :woman_facepalming:t4:

I mean, nothing wrong with wanting it, but I fail to see why it is a must for some.

4 Likes

Maybe I feel this way because I technically dont have an “audience” yet per se, but I’ll write and mold my story the way I like it, not based on the desires and whims of a random reader. If its a legit criticism then that’s different. But customization should only be if the creator wants it.

Personally I dont care either or if a story has one or not.

4 Likes

I dont really care if you cant customize characters, but i know that some people really care about it. I published my story and wanted the main character to still look like i imagined, so i did a limited customization. I think thats a win win situation because in the story MC still has (for example) pink hair, but the reader still gets to customize.

2 Likes

Sure but if I can’t customize the character then the story had better be amazing from the first chapter or I will chuck the deuce.

2 Likes

People force CC onto stories where it doesn’t even look right or make sense. Why are people so obsessed with CC? It only fits in certain types of stories.

4 Likes

If you ask me :thinking:, I would continue to read the first chapter without costumization. I do not mind at all if an author does not give a costumization option. Whether to allow readers to costumize the characters or not - it is up to you. You do not have to do it at all. As long as the lines of the story are written good, and make the story interesting, it is not a problem.
If a reader does not want to continue reading the story just because you did not give a costumization option, that’s his/her problem, not yours. So, you have the right not to give readers costumize characters, and the readers should respect it.

1 Like

Of course, as long as the actual story itself is good!

1 Like

My thoughts exactly, especially stories with art scenes or ones that describe the characters appearance constantly.

3 Likes

I like to split Episode MCs into two categories:

1. Ones who function as the reader in the story. They 100% should be CC and have lots of personality-based choices.

2. Ones who are completely original for the author. CC is unimportant and the plot itself is the main purpose of the story. Less personality-based choices.

4 Likes

It matters because if the Mc is a continuous one I see all the time, I’m not gonna read it. I don’t. For customization really, as long as the story is good and has no generic looking characters and personalities.

1 Like

It depends, for me.

If the story is well-written, I am more than willing to forgo customization.

But if it’s just a generic story (ie bad boy/golden boy, reconnecting with your ex, etc) and I don’t get to customize my character because the MC just HAS to have blonde hair and green eyes, I probably won’t commit to finishing the story.

2 Likes

For me customization is a necessity for story where the genre is romance or drama.
Where the reader can connect to the story.
But where its a mystery and the look of the MC really matters than there is no need to put CC.

1 Like

As a general rule I normally only read stories that have customization in. However, I would consider reading a story that has no customization if it is written very well!

1 Like