I’m about to publish my first story and I’m interested in getting more reads by doing r4r’s but I’m kinda scared/worried, I just went through this one persons r4r and some of the people who said they would do it didn’t. She did their stories but they just copied and pasted other peoples ss so they didn’t do the read. Im kinda worried people will do that for my story. I’m also worried that people will say you do mine first then I’ll read yours and I actually do theirs and then they say oh I’m busy or I’ll do it later and never do it. That’s not fair towards anyone especially the person who actually read your story. I’m worried about doing their read then them just ghosting so I’m not sure I want to do r4r’s is that normal?
Most of us faced this before/all the time
You can set your own rules and ask them to send ss to you first
if they do that you call them out. my r4r is mostly PM. and usually, send a reminder some days later, and a bit angry one calling them a ghost a few weeks later
R4r is alright when executed properly.
I understand that you have fears about it but life is about taking risk.
Some advantages and drawbacks of r4r in my view are:
- other authors will promote your story whether you ask them or not. They’ll even recommend your story to others if they like it.
- they will give constructive feedback if you ask them too.
- an awesome way to get your story proofread and rectify mistakes before it’s presented to a larger fan base.
- getting your story out there.
- motivation to write further.
- you will get reads for your story.
- these reads will generate more reads in the future. When people see you have reads it tricks them to think that you have an excellent story, so it motivates them to read it.lol.
- your rank will be higher for a while.
- you can get loyal readers. Some authors, if they like your story they tend to keep it in their shelf to read later until you update.
10)you will get friends and Instagram followers.
- some people read your story quickly. Depends who it is ofc.
2)you come across people with yucky attitude.
- demotion of your story. If they don’t like something in your story and they you don’t want to change it some will go at the ends of the earth to call you out. … Or extensive gossip with their friends.
- you get enemies you didn’t ask for.
- if you call them out for ghosting you, some go to the lengths and breaths of the earth to stink your name up/ say bad things about you or your story. Especially if it’s not true.
- your rank can go down.
- demotivation to write further. Some might tell you your story is boring or it’s not their thing yet they still read lol.
99.9% may tell you that you have a good story yet that one person can make you feel worthless.
- long wait for some to read your story. Some take long but they do read it. Due to some committments such as job, family, etc.
Some rules for r4r that you can apply.
- do not label everyone as a ghoster or delinquent.
- do r4r only when you have time.
- schedule a time where both of you will have time.
So example I tell people “when you’re reading mines tell me so I’ll read yours with you”.
I had 99.9% success rate with this lol
Yup, still got ghosted but it was still effective.
- if you get ghosted try to forgive them and move in. See it as a charity (free read you gave to the someone. In need.) . Again, refer to the drawbacks for explaination.
2 people ghosted me, today their reads have sky rocketed. They both were vampire stories. I am not saying all vampire writers are ghosters. But my word! For the love of cookies I don’t know what it is about vampire writers (some), it’s like they suck the life out of you literally.
5)There are some mama bears ( women who have children lol no offence) out there who will genuinely read your stories but you have to give them time since their family comes first and they have babies etc.
They are very loyal and will read your story. You just need to be patient with them since some wait until their children are asleep to read your story.
6) you can track your reads via the writers portal.
Some people do trick you and say they read the required chapters. Do not approach them. Again refer back to the drawbacks. Come on you don’t want to create an enemy for just 1 lost read, right?
I know it’s hard and I know it’s unfair but at the end of the day your mental health is more important than a read.
7) do remind them to read your story but in a nice way .
Example- Hi did you forget me?
Hey hun, did you get a chance to read my story?
Do not say:
- btch did you read my story? What the hll I read yours inno. Btches like you need to rot in hll.
That’s a definite no! since they will either block you or ignore you. You will definitely not get your story read and they turn it against you.
Anyways, do consider it, it’s nice to get some reads for your story.
This wasn’t meant to expose or bring down anyone but just to be aware of what someone can go through doing a r4r.
Good luck, blessings.
Thank you this makes a lot of sense!
A better way to ensure they don’t just copy/paste would be to ask them to SS their favorite characters or moments in your story- or a specific line and change up the line with each person. That way they can’t copy SS from anyone else because they won’t need to SS the same line.
Also, yes, there are crap people out there that will ghost or copy, but most of them are honest and will actually complete the R4R. I have a very busy life- kids, work, writing my own story, etc. so it may take me an extra day to do the R4R, I’ve never ghosted anyone who asked me to do one. So, some people really will do it later or are busy at the moment.
Just trust that there are good people who will do right and read your story, too.
Bruh… This actually happens a lot to people and it’s freaking annoying.
I wouldn’t suggest doing R4R, only because most people are trying to self-promote their stories. By only having other aspiring authors who are very self-involved in their writing, your story isn’t getting any real, loyal fans.
I really don’t see any pros of R4R. I’ve sat here thinking about it, and I can’t really think of advantages. It’s really difficult to be fully invested in somebody else’s story or receive real reads if you’re worried about how far along your story is. (Not to mention, way too many writers on the forums can be toxic and self-involved. No tea.)
You can find really great people who will freely review and read your story without anything from you. If you ever need someone to read and/or give feedback, just let me know. I literally love finding new stories and the possibility of finding a new favorite is too good to pass up.
Wish you the best,
I understand if ur worried just have people pm u there ss so they can’t be copied and have people read urs first so they can’t ghost
I agree! for me when I do R4R, I’m always honest!
I either sent them a private message and promote their stories on my insta.
You can tell them to directly message you or dm on insta! that’s what I do and for now it works but you will find some people that will not read your story and you know what. , don’t stress. you did your part, and they should be the ones feeling guilty !
This is why I don’t want to do r4r