Worst Vampire Story Cliches?

What should be avoided when writing a story with vampires? What works and what doesn’t?

6 Likes

I was wondering about this to, cause I am working on a vampire story. Let’s hear some opinions on this one.

4 Likes

Cliches like them having a war or epic battle and have the MC fall in love when they are the opposing side, making them “instantly attractive”, unrealistic like them not burning in the sun and not following actual vampire logic, make them in a love triangle with an MC and a werewolf or another person. Making the vampire a white person constantly and no POC vampires. Giving them insane powers that are irregular to vampires and make them have the same features like button nose and uneven mouth.

8 Likes

People have made me hate vampire stories as a WHOLE because they do this. I cringe everytime I encounter.

1 Like

Anything from Twilight, Vampire Diaries.

Vampire Academy is cool so is House of Night

3 Likes

I could make ya love vampires :eyes:

SIDE NOTE:

I actually think it’s good to think outside the box when it comes to vampires, the “don’ts” mostly have to do with very cliche and “stereotypical” things of the sort.

1 Like

I have read your story. It was good. You are the only exception imma make. :joy:

1 Like

wait really?! :astonished: I feel so special now :joy:

I forgot you read my story, every time someone gets new pfp my brain thinks its a whole new person :laughing:

1 Like

What’s your story called?

1 Like

Don’t make the mc dependent on the vampire. All the vampire stories I’ve read them mc is usually quivering, shy, nervous and awkward; the vampire is usually closed off from others but when he meets her (I’m guessing it’s not her great conversational skills) he falls in love with her. Point is, give the mc some substance. Flesh her out as a character, her whole character is not linked to the vampire. She is a different person, make sure she has interesting traits and qualities.

6 Likes

writes down points

3 Likes

Okay Okay, now back to vampires. Here’s some detailed advice.

1. If you’re gonna have them drink blood, give a solid reason as to why they need to drink it.

Most stories I read never really explain this, like what are they doing it for, sh^ts and giggles??

1. I would personally avoid the weakness cliches (the sun, a stick, a cross, holy water).

Make it something creative, like if they drink animal blood, they will explode into pieces cause it lacks the purity of human blood.

(all I can think of/type atm, I’ll update this later)

4 Likes

That’s good news for you since they never use that! :sweat_smile: EVER!

3 Likes

It’s called Embers, but it’s only on wattpad ATM :eyes: still working on it on here, but idk if I’ll post it. Plus the advance coding, backgrounds, and overlays I’m using are a pain in the butt :joy:

2 Likes

amen sis, but I’ll go check it out!

2 Likes

these are some good points.

2 Likes

I would like it if they do that and make it atleast look cool. People just fail at it. I’d be nice to see it in a story.

3 Likes

lol, it will probably be easier to find it if ya find my username first, it’s the same as on here :cherry_blossom:

Tbh the whole idea of vampires creep me out. I mean how do people find blood drinking attractive? They literally suck out your blood, how does that not make you say nope! It’s basically like having a relationship with their food, fetishlike or what?

4 Likes

I would love that too, but I read so many sucky ones with it involed that I’d rather not read about it at all, smh :laughing:

1 Like