Would readers read a story with a sad ending?

Okay, I feel like the answer to this is really obvious. Of course, I’m aware readers may not read a story with a sad ending to it bc why else are they playing Episode, they would want a happy ending to their own story. Even, I’m not a fan of sad/tragic endings but endings that are bittersweet and beautiful, make me have this strange lingering feeling to the story of wanting more of it. If that makes sense. I feel like, especially if the story is a romance and has a sad ending to it, readers won’t read or continue to read it and may hate it even.

But I’d still like to know other people’s opinions on this.

It might sound a bit strange but I really enjoy reading angsty things (romances with angsty scenes) so even if a story did have a sad ending, if it was beautifully written and left me with that lingering feeling, I would still enjoy the story a lot.

16 Likes

I’m just asking because I thought of a story idea that is left with a bitter sweet but, in a way, a sad ending as well but I’m not sure what readers would think of this ^-^

4 Likes

I love stories with bittersweet endings. Most novels I read have these and I don’t think that many episode stories do (I’ve been guilty of kind of cliche happy endings in my stories).
I’d definitely be interested and I’d love to read if you do publish a story like this :blush:

3 Likes

yes, I think endings that are bittersweet are quite beautiful :smiling_face: and uncommon at least, from what I’ve seen. I think it would be really interesting to write a story with such an ending as a lot of ending end in a happy way on Episode!
Aww, and thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you’d like, once I do get to publishing a story like this, I can let you know? Maybe tag you?

2 Likes

Yeah definitely tag or pm me :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Of course :blob_hearts: :hibiscus:

1 Like

You’ll be surprised to see suckers for sad endings :eyes: Personally, I like one that’s properly conveyed. Most “sad” endings involve everyone dying, the plot coming to a screeching halt, and the antagonist laughing joker-style.

I like bittersweet endings a lot, where the MC (or most of the cast) loses something in the process. It’s also one way to express the importance of the plot to the point where the MC would literally sacrifice the only thing he/she never anticipated to give up on.

3 Likes

I love stories with bittersweet/sad endings. If they’re properly done to where it makes sense (like not just some random character dying for no reason with no buildup) I feel like they stick with me more.

I plan on writing my own just like this, and I like finding stories to read of that type.

1 Like

That depends. If the story has a sad ending as an alternate ending, then perhaps yes. But if the story has a sad ending as the only ending, then readers would perhaps be disappointed.

yeah, stories with such ending that are also well written feel so good to read!

ah, I actually like reading stories where this happens it might sounds a bit depressing but when these stories are really beautifully written, it’s just more interesting to me for some reason ? :sweat_smile: :smiling_face:

1 Like

I actually really enjoy sometimes a story with a sad/bittersweet ending. I even have my own story with a bittersweet/sad ending. I know many people prefer happy endings, but once in a while, it’s good to read a story with a different type of ending:)

2 Likes

I totally agree with you on this! :smiling_face: :heavy_heart_exclamation:
btw, what’s the name of your story? I’d love to give it a read if it’s published! :smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, it’s published, and it was completed today :slight_smile:. The title is Faith in Us.

I personally would read stories with sad endings.
I do sort of want to read more stories with different endings all from sad to bittersweet, rather than just a whole blissful happy ending. Maybe not so common but I also like (and sometimes enjoy) the twist of having a sad ending rather than a happy one.

Please let me know too!

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll make sure to tag you or PM you once I publish it :smiling_face: :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Awesome. :blob_hearts:

1 Like

I enjoy these types of endings provided they are earned and well written. If everything ends horribly just because it’s not very good. But if there’s this sense of foreboding throughout the story with a certain inevitability to it, yet the characters struggle their best to make it work and it doesn’t, that I like. I also like the deceptive bittersweet endings that on the surface look like they’re a wonderful happy ending, then you really think about it and realize most of it is really sad. Lord of the Rings is a prime example of this. That ending is so heartbreaking.

3 Likes

Hey, @Cerisontea!
Honestly, I’m a fan of reading stories with happy endings. I have also read stories with sad endings. But because I’m a sensitive person, my heart won’t take it if the MC or the LI will be killed. It will be too much for me. But if you mean a sad ending like; they will be separated for some reason, then I would read it.
Take care,
Christina <3

4 Likes

For me, if the ending was realistic and bittersweet, yes. Overly sad, no.

5 Likes