Would this song lyric change be allowed?

So I’m aware of the 5 lines of lyrics only rule if you have a real song in your story. In my story, I want the characters to sing songs a lot. Would it be okay if I used the song lyrics but I change them up and add different words or my own words so that it’s not directly what the song artist said? It wouldn’t be what they said in the song. Would this be allowed?

Example:
Original version; Say So by Doja Cat:

Day to night to morning
Keep with me in the moment
I’d let you had I known it
Why don’t you say so?

Changed up version:
Say So by Jojo Dog

Everyday to morning
Stay with me in moment
I didn’t even know it
Why don’t you say so?

The changed up one probably doesn’t make that much sense, but I don’t care about that right now.

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

I think it would be allowed. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Watch out for copyright.

1 Like

I think it should b ok… if it’s too similar episode will let u know, u might wanna check w the support team tho: Submit a request – Episode just in case, but u’ve made sum appropriate changes. :white_heart:

2 Likes
  1. There are still identifiable similarities in your lyrics, particularly the words at the end of each line.
  2. You don’t have permission from the copyright holders.
  3. You’re not rewriting lyrics as satire (satire is fair use).
  4. You don’t have a license to rewrite the song and publish it.

So, I’m guessing no (I could be wrong though), but it’s definitely worth asking Episode via ticket as suggested in the previous reply.
I don’t know the details of the copyright and legalities surrounding the song nor the extent to which you can change a song that isn’t yours until you’re in the clear. :full_moon_with_face::woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I’m not sure why this link doesn’t work anymore, but your character can say up to 5 lines of a song, per chapter. Even though you’ve changed the lyrics, I would err on the side of caution and only let them say 5 lines (and you’ve included 4 here, so I think you’re good!).

1 Like

If I submit a request, what issue should I pick?

UPDATE: I submitted a request to Episode. They said they got it, but they haven’t replied. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I’m sure they’ll reply in due time. :relaxed:
Maybe a day or two. :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.