Would You Play as a Different Race/Ethnicity/Skin Colour?

Often I play as white characters on Episode. There’s either no customisation or the CC doesn’t offer skin colour options. I don’t have any problem with it! It can get quite repetitive after a while and I love mixing things up by reading stories about POC, but I don’t complain (unless it’s set somewhere diverse and none of the characters are anything other than white. That’s just unrealistic).

But when I wrote The Good Witch and my MC came from The Land of Summer, I naturally limited the number of skin tones you could choose to match her ethnicity. It wasn’t a very popular story. It got just over 400 reads. But I had 7 separate complaints about the fact that you can’t make her white.

So I’m interested now. Does it matter to you?

12 Likes

I only do cc if I can pick the name. which i acutally often cant. I actually just read one where the mc was black. I did not change her because i could not pick the name

2 Likes

Of course. I don’t mind as long as the story is good.

5 Likes

If there isn’t any cc then I really don’t care if I’m playing as a POC however if there is customization and the characters race/ethnicity isn’t important to the story then yeah I can get quite annoyed.

2 Likes

I don’t really mind who I play as, as long as the plot is good. It’s kind of tiring playing as the same old generic MC, but I do like a little CC sometimes. :blush::blue_heart:

3 Likes

not at all I really don’t care.

2 Likes

:joy: i don’t really mind as long as the story is good.

3 Likes

I don’t mind. :wink:

Don’t mind at all, as long as the story is good I don’t think it even matters

2 Likes

It shouldn’t matter as long as the story is good. The only time I CC is When I can choose the name for the character.

1 Like

I don’t really care about the race and ethnicity of the character I am playing as; it doesn’t matter to me. Some people make a big deal of this because most characters are Caucasian :woman_shrugging:t4: However, I do sometimes get tired of playing as a character who has the same race in every story I read. I feel like CC is needed when it comes to things like that.

2 Likes

Most likely not but its also depends on how im feeling. Most stories have the same white MCs or limit the skin to only fair tones(for no real reason) plus in (americain) media u still see white ppl as the default(tho thts kinda changing)
Idk i want to see “me” somewhere and if im playing a story where it says “you” as a character i wanna be my skintone

2 Likes

If I’m playing as “myself”, I want full CC and name change. If I’m not playing as myself, then it doesn’t matter what the MC looks like.

1 Like

I personally don’t mind. I tend to just go with the flow. Although sometimes I do enjoy making the MC look somewhat like me, which sounds totally wacko ahaha
But most of the time, if it offers CC I just make sure my character looks normal for the setting of the story.

Never matters to me. I enjoy getting to know the MC as the author imagined them… its fun for me. Not sure why anyone would find an issue with that. I rarely offer character customization in terms of skin color… I let people pick the hair style, clothes… but If my character is a POC, I stick with it. If that bothers people, they don’t have to read it. I seriously could care less if I have a story that gets less reads or even NO READS its more important to me that MY vision of the story is met. :man_shrugging:

1 Like