Would you read a story if the MC is black?

Hi everyone!

So I’m planning out my first story, and i’m almost certain I will be making the main character black. I was thinking of giving full customization options, but it just will not work for the plot line if someone customizes their character to be white. However I’m thinking that many people will steer away from the story for this reason. Of course getting a ton of reads is not my main concern, if it was I’d just make a story about getting pregnant by your dad’s friend’s uncle’s brother or some shit but I guess what i’m asking is

Realistically would you read a story if it had limited skin tone customization?

25 Likes

yes, I don’t really mind the limited customization, but yes, I would read a story if the main character is black.

We need more stories with black main characters, and I love it.

7 Likes

Race and ethnicity shouldn’t even be a criteria when someone is looking at a story/reading it. If anything stories with more diversity should be welcomed in the community. As for the CC, I tend to keep the characters as they are, so yes I would still read a story with limited/ no CC.

Good luck with your story xx

9 Likes

I would not mind really.
I care more about the script then the way characters look.

4 Likes

I definitely would. If you don’t want to steer away readers, perhaps you can say something like “although I’m allowing full CC, her race will always be black”?? But there are plenty of successful stories with non-customisable white MCs so you shouldn’t feel like you have to offer customisation

4 Likes

Absolutely! It’s the plot, directing, grammar, and choices that are important to me. The personality of the MC is far more important than appearance.

9 Likes

I totally agree, we need more black MCs!

4 Likes

Very true. Developed characters, an interesting storyline and reasonable directing are far more important :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

@PBJ Me too!

@ParisN So glad to see there’s people who agree in the community, ty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It totally makes no difference to me what the MC looks like. Just give me a reason to be emotionally invested in the character and I’m in. :+1::tulip:

1 Like

I definitely would, but I can understand why you’d be worried because there are unfortunately some people who will complain about it. You’ll just need to prepare a good comeback for those people when they ask to change the skin tone in your fanmail. I’d recommend something sarcastic :grinning:

13 Likes

Yes, I would and we do need more stories with non-customizable Black Mc’s. There will be people that will complain but why care? They would rather concentrate on a race that is barely represented in Episode and get mad over it instead of concentrate on the actual story.

1 Like

I’m not going to make a whole paragraph so I’m just going to keep this sweet and short. Hell yeah :heart: we need more black MCs

3 Likes

Yes I would read it, honestly I don’t mind if it has CC or not. :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

I recall a vampire story where the love interest was specifically Cuban and people complained they couldn’t alter his caramel skin tone. The author had the wittiest comebacks :smile:

7 Likes

I should start prepping my witty comebacks then :laughing:

2 Likes

The reality is you won’t get as many reads, but there are authors who could tell you they regret allowing customization on characters that are canonically black. Stick to your guns. You’ll have support from a good group of people regardless of the amount of reads.

13 Likes

That’s very true, but I’m not too concerned about reads. Writing is a passion of mine, and if I get the opportunity to showcase it on a platform that’s all that matters :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t care what the character looks like as long as I like the actual character! For sure I would read!

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ll come up with something great :blush:

1 Like