Would you read a story with cannibalism in it?

Yeah, I’m not sure episode would allow that :sweat_smile:

As a reader, it would also be a very uncomfortable to read a story that has scenes like that in it. Due to the total madness, as well as the taboo subject matter.

But, it would be different than a lot of stuff on episode— and by a lot, I mean a lot— and that’s always interesting to read :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think I should write a plot story and see how things goes… I know this is for mature audience and I wouldn’t be comfortable with younger audience reading it… I will write both an email to support and a pilot episode.

I do. I would totally read a story with cannibalism, as long as it isn’t romanticized.

3 Likes

The only romance in the story is where MC fools her victims with a date :joy:

If you’re still going to go through with it and it somehow gets past Episode’s guidelines, at least give the option to the reader to skip those scenes (: That’s what I would do anyway…

7 Likes

But scenes are really important, shouldnt those who are too sensitive for this, not read this in the first place?

You can briefly mention what happened without the disturbing details if the reader decides to skip the scene. That way they’ll know what happened but won’t have to sit through all of it. A lot of readers wouldn’t want to miss on an overall interesting story just because of a few disturbing scenes, you know? :blush:

2 Likes

I agree. Then the reader won’t be subjected to reading a scene that may be too dark for them. Also (I think I said this on another thread of yours?) I would put a personalized author message at the beginning of the episodes that contain such dark subject matters.

The reason is, because, a lot of younger people who read episode (which is totally fine), might just brush off the “this story contains mature themes and strong language” warning (that episode offers) as not that big of a threat, and that they can handle it. So, just to make it perfectly clear to the audience, leave a message at the beginning of these episodes, giving a MA rating, and quickly explaining that the story contains really dark themes.

2 Likes

To me if the scene is too graphic/sensative to most readers, it shouldn’t be written in the first place. Especially if you can’t skip the scene.

People don’t really care about warnings, and some of the people reading it wouldn’t know what they are getting into.

I just don’t think it’s a very wise idea. But if you feel strongly about it, that’s your decision.

Though I feel like it would be more understood/recieved better on a more mature site. As a good bit of readers are younger.

6 Likes

Yes! And thank you for mentioning the readers brushing off the warning sign at the beginning. It’s become such common practice that I just forget about it now. And it’s possible that even a personalized one just wouldn’t get through since people are now used to skipping through all the splashes at the beginning because of the recurring “turn your sound on”, “follow me on this and that”, etc :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Another quick thing that you, as the author should keep in mind when writing stories with such mature subject matters in it (like the one that you’re currently writing), is that a large majority of the episode community are young, and I believe preteens are definitely the target demographic for the app. And, like I said above, a lot of people might try to bite off more than they can chew with these types of stories, that discuss such dark topics.

While writing this, I actually just came up with an idea :sweat_smile: I think it would be cool for episode to add a feature, where either the authors (or the episode team that reviews episodes before they are published) can decide what the age-range for that story is. For example “PG-13”, “R”, “PG”, and maybe even “MA”. Then, whenever people join the app, it will be required to input their birthdate, and this will determine what stories are going to be locked for them. There are a lot of things that may need to be worked out, such as authors wrongfully interpreting their stories age-range (which is why I think it would be a good idea for the review team to decide this). As well, as younger people inputting a false age, to be able to access mature stories. However, I feel like this would be less of an episode-specific problem, and more of a global internet problem.

But, this is just an idea that this thread gave me, and I understand that their may be a lot of consequences that come with it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The story isn’t as bad as you guys think… I would put it in mystery genre. Because its somewhat a cop trying to figure out several deaths in a highschool. The opening is a scene where 2 students gossip about if its sane to come to school anymore. Then an intro with blood. (Already approved) Like I said, it’s more of a mention of cannibalism.

3 Likes

I’ll write the plot episode and publish it eith episode 2 and 3 locked. Lets hope that episode answers my email fast

1 Like

There’s plenty of vampire stories on episode. Drinking human blood counts as cannibalism in my book.

5 Likes

Thank you for the input! Thats a nice point :slight_smile:

1 Like

You know I had to do it to ‘em :skull:

lets wait for the response

I would read a story with cannibalism with it. I wouldn’t care how detailed it is (but it would make sense to be super detailed if it was a horror story!).

1 Like

mhm. i would totally read something like that.

1 Like

Um no. Sorry.

1 Like

absolutely not and if you would,there’s something wrong…

1 Like