Would you read spotlight story?

Would you read spotlight story? :thinking:

Story will be about team which protects human world from supernatural, collect magic artifacts, solves crimes done by supernatural. Some of team members also supernatural.

• Yes
  • Maybe
  • No

0 voters

It depends on what the plot actually is. I have no problem with the format spotlight. I do prefer cinematic, but I don’t dislike spotlight. For example, if it’s a pregnancy story or a student-teacher relationship story, I’d probably skip. But if it were a genre I’d be interested in, then sure.

1 Like

It will be about team which protects human world from supernatural, collect magic artifacts, solves crimes done by supernatural. Some of team members also supernatural.

I personally think that Spotlight stories aren’t very visually appealing. You can’t exactly create very action-packed scenes within it, and something like a team which protects humans from supernatural beings, you’d want more action than just characters popping up and doing a basic animation inside a box.

3 Likes

While I don’t have a problem with spotlight, that sounds like a plot which would be awesome to see come to life in cinematic :see_no_evil:

I have a spotlight story (it was for the spotlight contest last year). I honestly don’t recommend it. I was getting daily fanmail telling me to remove the bubbles and I don’t think my retention would have been the best, simply because of the style. I redid the story in cinematic.
But personally? Yes, I’d read it despite the style.
One story that I think really suits the spotlight format is Telvoikai by Corvaena :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s just my opinion but If you want to create good story with cinematic it’s needs a lot of work and time (and I’m very lazy) I don’t like a lot of cinematic stories because of bad directing (not all, some of them are good)

I think directing is half of what makes or breaks episode stories. Seeing characters move, interact and the use of advanced directing (overlays, quick zooms) are what brings a story to life. I feel like spot light kinda makes a story flat. Spotlight will make writing easier, but for me I direct way to much to use it.

2 Likes

As described when you pick whether to have your story cinematic or spotlight, spotlight is for those who are good at written detail. I would literally read any genre in spotlight is the author is very detailed with their writing to fill not having full on scenes.

2 Likes

I actually love the spotlight style. There are only so many cinematic actions available, so reading an action-packed story can get visually repetitive (and difficult to code, on top of it). People love visual novels and text adventures; it’s just that Episode readers are extremely used to cinematic.

If you want to write in spotlight, I say do it. You could get a beta reader later on to see if your narrative description is working the way you want it to. “He kicked, then he ducked, and then he rolled…” isn’t super gripping.

Here are some excellent spotlight stories imo, if you want to look at them for reference: Sherlock in Love, Fantastical: The Frontier, Telvoikai, Spotlight: A Selkie’s Kiss. Duemadiri and The B Team (cancelled, I believe; read at your own risk) are both Spotlight-esque, but not quite the same style. You’d have to look at them to know what I mean.

4 Likes