Would you sell your story to Episode (v2)?

Things have changed since the last time this question was asked, many stories have been featured (and many more probably on the way) regardless of their genre.

So I thought I would ask this question to see if anyone changed their opinions, especially now that multiple people made a “second season” to finish off where Episode left or finish their community version. (Which wasn’t a thing before if I remember right)

12 Likes

Hahaha we’re apparently thinking alike because I went hunting for a similar thread earlier to try and bump it up (but all the ones I found were locked).

I feel like I see a new story in beta every day now, so it definitely seems like the money offered is substantial/considered worthwhile.

For me, it would depend on the story. I think I would only sell a complete story, especially after what happened with The Infected. I realise they might not necessarily stick to my ending if they bought it, but at least they’d have something to release if they decided to keep the story as is. But would I “sell out” for money?

impoor

Maybe. I don’t think I could sell Maternal Instincts (because if this was changed and the characters were changed, it would kill me inside lol), but I would maybe sell a different one. A lot of my stories only really work on interactive platforms anyway, so if I didn’t think I’d write it elsewhere, I wouldn’t really have anything to lose except my dignity if the story was butchered with my name on it.

I really wonder how they determine which stories to completely change (e.g Not Your Ex), which ones to keep completely as is (e.g The Infected, How to Be a Princess) and which ones to change enough to cram into 8-12 episodes. :thinking:

12 Likes

I always said to myself and a few of my close friends that I wouldn’t be a sell out for episode. But, the money you get for selling your story. Ha! I would sell my story in a heartbeat. Depending on the story… (Maybe?) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

11 Likes

to be honest I would more sell out if I could get acces to the not released stuff used in featured stories than money. because I dont need money.

but Also if episode wanted to buy my story I rather offer to make an orginal one. but I doubt it will ever happen for me

6 Likes

Great minds think alike :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That’s what I wonder too! All my stories are written for Episode only. So I have no problem selling them, but I’d at least want them to be done right, if you know what I mean?

I’d like to at least send them a better story outline for 12 episodes.

3 Likes

My answer is still “no.”

3 Likes

I live for all your comments :smirk::skull:

3 Likes

Nope. Not the stories that I currently have out or working on. Maybe if I had a story that I cared very little about then I would, but I don’t so I won’t.

2 Likes

For me, it depends on the story. There are some stories I have written that I would never sell, but also other stories I would if I were approached, and some stories I would have to think long and hard before before making that decision.
Like @EliseC said, I would be cautious in selling a story I have not completed given recent circumstances and would hope that Episode would keep it at least close to the original.

7 Likes

No don’t touch my precious stories

5 Likes

Significantly depends on the amount of money and terms of the contract. Because I need money. But every week there’s a new story in beta and I just feel like it’s the worst timeline right now to sell your story. Like, you really can’t trust episode to respect your story these days. Sure you give away your rights, but episode still attaches your name to it, so when they change something that raises an eyebrow (like the change they made to Not Your Ex) or when they don’t complete it (The Infected), you’d be the one getting bombarded with messages on Instagram. Plus, with a new beta story each week, it’s like the community authors don’t even get their fifteen minutes of fame from selling their story anyway. After the official release + post, it’s like crickets. So money aside, is there enough extra bonuses to selling your story right now? Eh, probably not

18 Likes

I know I said I wouldn’t sell but I probs would if the opportunity came :woman_shrugging: The stories I’m writing on Episode, my heart isn’t into them anymore like it was once before :joy: Besides I don’t write my favorite, dear to me works on the platform as I’m saving them for the future, to publish them on my own terms :rose:

5 Likes

I totally forgot about the Not Your Ex thing…

This is highly unlikely (since they don’t do it anymore, but it’s possible still) but if they asked you to do the rewrite, would you sell your story?

2 Likes

If they allowed the original author to read through the redone chapter before publication, I would be more inclined to consider it. But they don’t, and you can’t be sure what they’re going to put your name on.

3 Likes

Not that they would be interested in any of the material I write… lol but the way I see it is that I’m poor, very poor. lol So odds are, yes. Yes I would. Treat me and my kitties to some delicious food with that money!

11 Likes

It still would greatly depend on money and the terms of the contract

7 Likes

“No way in hell motherf*ker”

1 Like

it depend on what story tho , if it a story i really care about it gonna be a maybe?
but like @line123462 said , if i could get access to the gem outfits , hairstyles etc that would be cool.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I care about the story I’m writing and have spent so many hours with it that it would hurt like hell to sell it, but I care about my future much more. Like I said in the other thread; the careers I’m hoping to study aren’t those you get a lot of money from. At least not in the beginning. So I’m going to need that money (plus, I’m working two jobs now and it wouldn’t hurt to have more money so I could quit one of those. I absolutely hate it).

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I noticed that lately Episode hasn’t been advertising or promoting their recent Features. Maybe it’s because of their weekly schedule, or the number of existing features, but it’s getting real messy

6 Likes