Writer Payments: Changes to the Qualifying Criteria

Some of the replies on this thread really do shock me.

I think I speak for pretty much everyone when I say that we are aware that Episode needs to make money. If they don’t make any, we certainly don’t make any, and the app will die out. I get that. What I don’t get, is why make it that much harder for authors to get their writer payments unblocked. Sure, that means that most of them will start to pump out gem options in their stories, and that means more revenue for y’all, but with time, all the people that love Episode and are tired of constantly having to read stories with gem options over and over without actually being able to enjoy the story which is why they’re there for in the first place, will leave and find some other app that doesn’t overload them with gem reads. And that means you won’t get as much coin as you used to; I for one haven’t read Episode stories in a couple years, and am straying away from community stories with a lot of gem choices, and I know a lot of people have, too. I’m sorry, but this isn’t a smart move business wise; it’s almost like you WANT the app to die.

Now as for me, as an extremely small and just starting out writer, I knew it was going to be tough to hit either of those two marks. But, 50K gem reads? How many years and how many hours of literal sweat and tears trying to give my readers something interesting, well structured, well written to look forward to will I have to endure before I’m actually paid for it? And meanwhile you still get your coins because I have to put gem choices in my story (I only do support the author at the moment, but I might have to rethink things) to be able to even have somewhat of a rank. How is this fair? I’m sorry, but this just isn’t the way to go at all. It’s certainly not a positive change, not for us small writers, and certainly not for you in the long run. I’m disappointed.

42 Likes

Episode blink twice if you need help, i feel like the company is trying to survive but slowly failing.

13 Likes

And if you do need help let us know, we might be able to do something.

3 Likes

Do you want my soul while you’re at it?

29 Likes

This is the biggest joke of 2021 by episode thus far. I hate to be so blunt, but it is. I don’t expect to get into the payments, never have- since it always came across as impossible. Not saying it is, but if you don’t have enough readers or is updating regularly, then yes, it’s impossible. I understand work hard- get great results, that’s fine. 500k reads across all your published stories in the last 60 days- 100k gem reads AND 300 gem choices selected across all published stories in the last 60 days- was hard to achieve, but not impossible. I don’t understand why it needs to be changed? It’s not as if everyone is suddenly unlocking the payments. (Assuming that’s the issue. Episode is tired of paying every new author- money for reaching this goal- so they are boosting the price.)

I feel as though, episode isn’t thinking about their readers especially the young ones. You’re just thinking of the authors. Readers and Authors are equals on the app, but yet, it feels as though- readers are once again getting the short end of the stick from another update/guideline about gems.

I understand full and well that episode is business and you have to make money somehow, but if you just, I dunno, took the time to listen to your authors and readers maybe you could get a clear idea on how to successfully continue to make money without sucking everyone dry and scr*wing over your smaller authors.

some of you should be damned to think updating regularly will help you unlock the payments “quicker” it’s always not true. if you don’t already have a following (influence-readers) then it’s twice as hard. it’s no longer a choice to implement gems in your stories especially if you’re trying to get into the payments. it’s now a requirement.

38 Likes

Bc that’s what happens when u write for an app that only cares abt large authors + making money :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

21 Likes

Thank you!! So to clarify, the number of gems is “total gem choices selected in the last 60 days” multiplied by the price?

1 Like

Fantastic. Now community stories are going to be exactly like Episode featured stories :woman_facepalming:. Lots and lots of gem choices

14 Likes

It’s not 50k people who need to pick your gem choices, it’s the amount of gems that needs to be spent. So for example you have 120k reads (to unlock the payment) and choices inside chapters that lets say are worth 20 gems together (like two bonuses) it’s 2500 people out of 120k who need to pick them so you get your payment.

8 Likes

Ok now that you explain it its doesn’t seem that bad, i just need to work my schedule i guess.

1 Like

Bless! Thank you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

It’s not as scary as it seems!

I was very scared and upset at the beginning when they introduced gem choices as a part of our income or ranks. But I spent my energy not to be scared or down by it, but to rewrite my stories to fit the current standards and as much as I’m not a fan of the idea of gems in community stories, I understand it’s important for the revenue of the company that gives us an amazing tool to make our stories. I decided to adjust and I think no matter if you’re small or not - you can still achieve your goals.

It took me 18 months of daily writing and 60 written chapters to unlock payments here, so I know how it’s like to see the enormous number and think “I’ll never get there, they tell me it’s impossible”. But I focused not on money or reads, I focused on what I liked and that was writing my stories and yes, it was writing for free. I paid with my time and effort for structure that made it possible to show my stories to such an amazing audience. That provides servers, team, code, everything. They don’t owe us money because they already give us a free tool to show our stories. So I guess we should start with treating it as a hobby, not as an opportunity to make an income here. It can or not come with time.

20 Likes

Ah ok, I’ll take note of that

Lmfaoooooo
Welcome to the new ERA

5 Likes

Don’t you know this is highly impossible for small authors I highly doubt there are authors who are kid millionaires so why are we getting forced to put gems in community stories when they are supposed to be free and enjoyable?? I don’t wanna write and read anymore is how this is making me feel if this goes to change it was hard enough for the first time around but I don’t want gems in my stories anyway its so unfair!

8 Likes

The only thing I’m going to say is you’re ruining your own app and you don’t even seem to care.

12 Likes

So basically what they’re tryna say is “We’re not paying 85% authors and they’re gonna work for us for free”
:skull:

13 Likes

WHAAAT 50k gems?! That’s insane! Sorry, but this is really not ok.

6 Likes

Oh god. Now community stories are gonna be clogged with gem choices like the Originals :woozy_face:

4 Likes

I see all these rants about :gem: and I am dying inside laughing :joy:

I know math is hard but do you know 50K :gem: for 100K reads is just 10% of your reads have to go with even lowest support for 5​:gem: and it gives you 50K? :sunglasses:
Do you understand that this is to unlock PAYMENT program?
It’s for authors who can engaged the biggest amount of readers. It’s a REWARD for something. It’s NOT supposed to be for everyone :roll_eyes: It’s not charity program.

They already made trending SO much easier!
Why you have to moan about everything insteas eventually work harder. Nowadays everyone want everything for free, silver plate handed.

6 Likes