Writing a story and in need of help!

Okay so here’s the deal. I’ve been reading the forum for a little while now to get help on writing a new story because I’m an aspiring writer and have always been told I should pursue it. Since a lot of short story contests around my area are done, I figured I should write an episode story because I’ve been using Episode since I was, like, 8? So yeah. That’s enough for the intro, though.

The plot of this story is taken from a short story I have already wrote. I’m thinking of making a story with a male main character (and I could also receive a male perspective since I have many male friends and a boyfriend, so that’s a huge plus). The male main character is in love with this girl and the girl is going to get married to his best friend. The girl and the male MC have dated before, but things have changed over time so they broke up and I plan on adding a lot of drama between it all. I’m not sure how to end the story off, though. I know not many people appreciate a sad ending but that’s what my original story ends with. So ultimately, here’s my questions.

1. How does the plot look so far? Give me your honest opinion. Add things on that you think will help. I want to pour my soul into this.

2. Is a male main character ideal? Should I switch it up and make the MC a girl?

3. How do you feel about a sad ending? Would it be preferable to have a happier ending or a sad one?

4. What would be the preferable art style? (Ink, Limelight, etc.)

5. What’re your guys’ likes and dislikes in an Episode story? (Length of a story, customization, etc).

6. From my experienced writers, is there any advice you’d like to give me before I start?

Thank you guys!!

1 Like

here’s what I think

1. How does the plot look so far? Give me your honest opinion. Add things on that you think will help. I want to pour my soul into this.: I think this sounds really interesting and I don’t mind a sad ending. I would definitely read this story.
  2. Is a male main character ideal? Should I switch it up and make the MC a girl? Don’t! there are very few stories with a male MC so I think you should definitely leave it as a male MC
  3. How do you feel about a sad ending? Would it be preferable to have a happier ending or a sad one? Like I said before, I think a sad ending will be fine, sometimes life is sad so we shouldn’t always make it happy
  4. What would be the preferable art style? (Ink, Limelight, etc.) I like LL the best so thats what I would say.
  5. What’re your guys’ likes and dislikes in an Episode story? (Length of a story, customization, etc). Well I don’t like super long episodes, they kill me. but I dont like super short ones, I prefer like 5-10 minute episodes. Full CC is almost a must, unless the plot is amazing and I am super into the story I dont like reading stories without CC. also dont just randomly add trauma, pregnancies, abuse, mafia or rape into the story because you think it will make it interesting, if you do I will leave right away and never look back. besides that I’m open to anything.
  6. From my experienced writers, is there any advice you’d like to give me before I start? I’m not super advanced but I would say, take your time. Don’t set a deadline that is unreachable. take your time and pour your heart and soul into every episode. fall in love with the story, I always think of my stories as my children (it’s cringy but dont judge) . Be open to advice, the community only wants to help when they make suggestions. if you can’t take criticism then dont ask for help.

good luck on your story!

2 Likes
  1. I think it needs to be a bit more detailed for me to share my opinion.
  2. If you can, please include a option.
  3. Sad endings aren’t very common, I think you should go for it.
  4. Limelight is my most perferable style.
  5. Don’t like episodes that are too long (15+ minutes). I also don’t really enjoy when you can’t customize the mc’s name or character, it’s almost enough to make me click off. Don’t put many filler episodes in. It’s better to have a short story with something exciting in every episode.
  6. Not the most experienced either, but don’t compare yourself to other writers. Please stick to the way you’re most comfortable with.
    Good luck!
2 Likes

I appreciate this more than you know, thank you!

1 Like

This is great to know. I would like to make this story enjoyable for all. Thank you endlessly!

1 Like
  1. How does the plot look so far? Give me your honest opinion. Add things on that you think will help. I want to pour my soul into this.

It sounds like you are really interested in writing your story and it looks to me like you are trying your best to put a lot of time and effort in this but with the plot, we don’t want it to be a plan plot, this is a drama!

We need excitement, so here is what I am going to ask you, why did they break up? Maybe it has something to do with her or his parents? What is the family like? This could really impact the MC.
REMEMBER TO ADD DRAMA!

1. Is a male main character ideal? Should I switch it up and make the MC a girl?

I feel like it would be better fitted towards the male? But that all depends on plot and honestly, it’s your choice!

1. How do you feel about a sad ending? Would it be preferable to have a happier ending or a sad one?

Sad endings personally in episode, keep you wanting to read but when they see that you just ended if like that, they think “oh, that’s disappointing, I don’t think I want to read another story by this author” and that can really ruin you, remember that each story you make, effect each other.

I once read a book where the MC died and I was like “I can’t wait to see how they bring them back to life!” but they didn’t.
Then I thought “i wouldn’t have read this if I knew it ended like this”

So yeah… P.S maybe make a fake sad ending or something sad happens like the best friend dies or maybe the MC gets in an accident.

1. What would be the preferable art style? (Ink, Limelight, etc.)

Limelight all the way, I once saw a really good book thy sounded just how I like it, but it was in Ink so I didn’t read it.

I feel like most of us prefer the limelight although I may be wrong.

1. What’re your guys’ likes and dislikes in an Episode story? (Length of a story, customization, etc).

Length of story: 15-20 minutes, I like to use my pass with value.

Main character with flaws: Maybe they lost a loved one or has a medical condition?

Something we have never seen before is something I always want to read!

Stories where the author is a character like a cousin or something, it gets the reader attached to the author and into their stories.

1. From my experienced writers, is there any advice you’d like to give me before I start?

Yes, I personally like background music when writing, it helps get the flow of your writing going.

Also prepare before you start scripting, write it out on paper or a notebook first!

DOUBLE, TRIPLE AND QUADRUPLE CHECK YOUR WORK! I hate it when I see a lousy done job of a story because they either rushed or it wasn’t checked.

Don’t rush hun! Also keep spirits up and always ask questions, take breaks and live your life then come back and write more with a fresh mind!

Make connections with other authors! This can help you make connections with cover makers, editors and more to help you out! Plus you can make new life long friends, I’ve made so many new friends and I love them to death!

Hope this helps!
Sincerely Brii Springs :butterfly:

2 Likes

I love this!! Thank you for your responses. This is all gonna help me create my story (in the works, started last night :grin:)!!

1 Like

YAY! Glad it helped, if you ever need anything else, let me know :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

• I really like what ya have so far, keep going!

2. Is a male main character ideal? Should I switch it up and make the MC a girl?

• there are already so many stories that have solely a female MC, so it would be nice to switch it up and go for a male one. I don’t think you’d get less reads in doing so.

3. How do you feel about a sad ending? Would it be preferable to have a happier ending or a sad one?

• it really depends. I feel like most stories that have a sad ending include a well-loved character dying, and I don’t have a problem with this if it’s done for a reason. If there’s beauty in their death, I fully support it. If it’s done for a shock reaction, I don’t like it because it makes it feel meaningless. For example, if you’ve ever seen the show “The Vampire Diaries”, (massive spoiler if you haven’t watched it) one of the main characters Stefan dies at the end. Although this had my crying for days, I appreciated the beauty in his death. He died saving the people he loved, which is just so fitting for his character. His death didn’t feel like a write off, and as sad as it was, I can see the beauty and reasoning behind it.
    If you’re going to make a sad ending, I’d say put some meaning behind it.

4. What would be the preferable art style? (Ink, Limelight, etc.)

• whichever! I’d say if you want your story to perform well, do Limelight. If you’re not bothered about reads, it really doesn’t matter.

5. What’re your guys’ likes and dislikes in an Episode story? (Length of a story, customization, etc).

• likes: good directing, good grammar, character development.
  • dislikes: poor grammar and lack of basic directing, basic/undeveloped characters, whole chapters dedicated to CC as well as customisation for the MC’s whole family/entourage. (Most of the time I don’t even customise the main characters, and I definitely don’t care what their parents, brother and dog look like. I also don’t want a whole chapter that only had customisation.)

6. From my experienced writers, is there any advice you’d like to give me before I start?

• watch Joseph Evans’ YouTube tutorials, they SAVED me. Also, don’t attempt ambitious directing until you’ve nailed the basics because I tried doing that when I first started writing and it didn’t work for me at all.

Best of luck with the story! :blob_sun:

1 Like

I don’t really care what gender the MC is, but you could add a choice for the reader if you really want to. I like sad endings. They’re not terrible. As long as the MC doesn’t die, I don’t think many people would be against it. Again, if you really don’t was backlash, then add a points system for a good or sad endings.

You can always get a proof or beta reader. Come talk to me if you need one!

I’ve been watching their tutorials all night!! They’ve been a massive help. But yes, I think from the feedback that I’m getting, I’m not going to add too much CC and the MC will remain male. I love the help the answers I’m getting from you though, thanks so much!

1 Like

I will definitely be needing a proof reader so please don’t be weirded out if I DM you under story circumstances :sob:. I appreciate the points system advice though. I considered it but it seems hard!

1 Like

No problem! Glad I could help. Although I’m not an expert, I’ve been coding/writing since 2017, so feel free to message me if you ever have questions!

Haha. DM me any time. If ig is easier, mine is @scarlettm.episode

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.