Writing about cheating without glorifying it?

How can I do that? I’m currently writing a story, where the MC and her partner have a bad relationship. Basically, the MC will develop feelings for someone else (her highschool crush, who’s back to town), but the reader will decide in the end about it (fix the relationship/break up). I don’t want to glorify it. What are your opinions?

4 Likes

Do you want to put the choice for keeping or breaking up the relationship at the end?
If not you can maybe make the MC clearly state that she’s interested in someone else or maybe make the person with whom she has a bad relationship cheat on her too. Then the readers will find the other person to be such an a*shole that they won’t mind the MC cheating. Just my opinion though.

1 Like

I’d like to put it somewhere around the last chapter, but not in the last chapter - and the MC’s partner’s personality wouldn’t line up with that. But thank you for your suggestion! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Could you tell more about your plot?

1 Like

Include narration about MC feeling guilt.

1 Like

Sure!
The story is a thriller, but I’ll only describe the romance aspect for now ^^ In the beginning of the story, she’s in a relationship with Ronnie/Rick. Her partner is a shy, quiet artist, who is very sensitive and caring. His/her passion is art, but she/he couldn’t get a job in the field.
Their relationship is getting worse since the Audrey’s (MC) father passed away (they were very close). She has drinking (and sleeping) problems, and they went together to a family-meetup. She got drunk and passed out, and since then, her partner is even more cold towards her.
I haven’t planned out how Audrey and her high-school crush (Chantal/Calliste) will meet yet.
(Also, sorry for the bad grammar - english isn’t my first language :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

That’s a good idea! I’ll try to implement it into my story ^^

1 Like

Oh. Then you can’t make him/her a bad person.
Then I think using Anna’s idea will be good.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.