WRITING TIPS: Punctuation

Hello, all!
Something I’ve noticed that many authors struggle with - mostly without knowing it - is punctuation. Wrong usages of ellipses, overuse / lack of commas, and missing periods are frequent story turn-offs for me.
So, here’s a lesson on punctuation:
Note: these aren’t all of the punctuation rules, but they’re the basics!

Periods. You must end statements with a period. (Or a question mark or exclamation point or hyphen) NEVER leave a piece of dialogue without a closing punctuation mark.
Even when three different lines, each with one word, are being said, (ex. “What. The. Hell.”) you MUST end it with a period!

Exclamation Points! Exclamation points are great for showing excitement! This can be negative, or it can be positive. It just shows emotion and urgency. Don’t use them in excess over the course of a few lines, as it detracts from their value. Try not to use more than one in character dialogue- it’s informal, inappropriate, and unnecessary! (ex. “OMG!!”)

Question Mark? This one is pretty obvious, no? These are used at the end of questions. Again, don’t use them in excess when writing dialogue! (Like this: “What???”)

Commas, an essential tool when writing, are often misused. They indicate a brief pause in speaking. Use them when listing things, (ex. “Buy some apples, bread, and lettuce.”) addressing people, (ex. “Kara, please pass the salt.”) or when using the FANBOYS to combine two sentences. (ex. “She looked happy, but he knew better.”)
Do NOT end lines of dialogue with commas, even if the sentence will be finished in the next line. Use a hyphen or ellipses instead, or (preferably) change the line. Commas can be difficult to work with- even for me! So, if you’ve got a question about them, just ask!

I love using semicolons; they combine two sentences that have to do with each other, even if they’re both compound sentences! (Note: the second sentence in the sentence that uses the semicolon does NOT need to start with a capital letter.) These are difficult to use, so again- ask away! Once you learn how to use them, though, don’t overuse them. Also, don’t put these at the end of lines of dialogue, even if the sentence continues in the next line!

Hyphens- another commonly misused punctuation mark. These also indicate a brief pause when speaking, often to interrupt the flow of the sentence and bring a side point. Sometimes these are interchangeable with commas, but they are mostly used to explain things or to add side points.
You may end a line of dialogue with a hyphen, but only in some cases. It’s best to avoid doing it at all.

Colons: There are three main uses of colons: when introducing a list, quoting something / someone, or before adding a clause that explains the previous part of the sentence. DO NOT end a line of dialogue with a colon, even if the rest is on the next line. Either combine the lines, or change the wording altogether.

Ellipses… a dramatic punctuation mark for writers. This indicates trailing off or taking a long pause. You CANNOT use “…”. That makes NO SENSE. Use three periods. Or, occasionally, for extra dramatic effect, use more than three. You may end dialogue with ellipses, but don’t do it too often! In general, don’t overuse ellipses- they lose their effect.

Any questions? Any comments? Don’t hesitate- drop them below! I can help with individual lines or chunks of dialogue on this thread; however, if you want your story proofread, please reach out to me via Message or DM. (@ kennedychasewrites)
Happy writing! :blob_sun:

21 Likes

I know this is the wrong way to use commas lol, but I recently started doing this. It looks so much better than using a hyphen, in my opinion.

Anyway, love this! :yay:

7 Likes

It does. I don’t mind it, but I’ve seen people use it the wrong way, ie:
“Samuel,”

“I think I’m in love with you.”

3 Likes

Thank you for making this! If a story doesn’t use proper punctuation I get annoyed and stop reading it :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Me too! I’m hoping to create more ‘writing tips’ threads in the future, as I think writing is essential to the quality of a story.

4 Likes

Welp, I’m guilty doing this :joy: but not in the degree of

Thank you for this thread

2 Likes

But, ending sentences with commas are good for cliffhangers.

2 Likes

no, you should never send a sentence with a comma.

for a cliffhanger, use this.

6 Likes

You can:

i.e. "Alice, "

-End of Episode-

2 Likes

i guess? except that´s not proper punctuation & it makes it seem messy.

3 Likes

Yeah, actually.

2 Likes

I agree strongly!
Don’t end sentence with a comma and don’t end narrator box with comma.”

Looks weird and is unnatural.

End it with 3 dots if you’re continuing the sentence in next narrator.

I’m a foreigner. I don’t know all rules of English language, that’s why I structure sentences as in my language. But we don’t use articles, so that’s the biggest obstacle for me.

5 Likes

Yessss. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

You can, I suppose, but I do agree with @lvqbrl. Using ellipses not only is more grammatically correct, but also more dramatically correct! (Hahah, that rhymes!) Ellipses are best for cliffhangers.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

Of course! My goal is to be helpful! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

:thinking: Actually, I have a question.

What do you guys do when you have a very long compound sentence that’s more than 200 characters long, so you have to somehow split it into two dialogue boxes?

I doubt there’s a necessarily correct answer to this, since “Episode dialogue box character limit” isn’t a natural phenomenon in the English language, so the answer is more of a style choice. But which do you guys find looks more correct?

• Use an ellipsis at the end of box 1 and the beginning of box 2.
  • Use a long hyphen at the end of box 1 and the beginning of box 2.
  • Re-write the sentence. A 200+ character sentence is too confusing anyway.
  • Other - Let me know!

0 voters

2 Likes

I break it up. I don’t like seeing a long line of dialogue. So, I use commas. Or I’ll break them up into full sentences.

3 Likes

Depends on the sentence. If you have something that you’re specifically referring to, please let me know; it will affect my response!

1 Like

:thinking: Just one long sentence with a lot of commas. Here’s one example of a sentence over 200 characters in one of my stories:

“My council will be instrumental in helping me ensure that my regency passes without a hitch, as close as possible to the way things would have been had Chris lived another thirteen or more years with us.”

It’s too long, 204 characters.
I opted for an ellipsis in the story:

"My council will be instrumental in helping me ensure that my regency passes without a hitch…

…as close as possible to the way things would have been had Chris lived another thirteen or more years with us."

I figure a hyphen would’ve also been acceptable:

"My council will be instrumental in helping me ensure that my regency passes without a hitch—

—as close as possible to the way things would have been had Chris lived another thirteen or more years with us."

And I might’ve used a hyphen, but the writer’s portal doesn’t do long hyphens. :angry:

Restructuring was also an option:

"My council will be instrumental in helping me ensure that my regency passes without a hitch.

We intend for the pack to be run as close as possible to the way things would have been had Chris lived another thirteen or more years with us."

But, as you mentioned, I wouldn’t just end it with the comma, it looks weird.

"My council will be instrumental in helping me ensure that my regency passes without a hitch,

as close as possible to the way things would have been had Chris lived another thirteen or more years with us."

Just looking for folks’ opinions in a general case; I won’t go back and edit this line, since it’s already published, but it definitely won’t be the last time I craft a monstrous sentence and don’t really want to dismantle it. :joy:

Edit: fixed where I’d duplicated a word. I should really have someone other than me review my stories lmao. But my point stands.