You can be my next diversity consultant!

Hey there! I’m Katherine, the author of “The Perfect Match” and “House of Cards”.
In planning to write the third story “Call of Duty”, I decided to have 3 main antagonists who are Japanese, Chinese and Indian/ Indonesian. But I’m not very familiar with those cultures & I’m scared that I would offend someone if I did this wrong…

Duty:

• Don’t mind me asking random questions…
    (e.g. What do they wear as their casual outfits? How does your mum wake you up for school?)

Rewards for helping me:

So, if you don’t mind me asking random questions like these to you only when I need help, please drop a comment below!

Thanks for reading and have a nice day! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess the main question is where do they live? If they live in an area where their culture is dominant then things might be more strictly adhered to. Also when does this story take place?

1 Like

That is a good question! They all live in Australia, but the place they live in almost like “Asian town”?

1 Like

Would you say a China Town then?

1 Like

Exactly! Something like that!

I can help with the Indonesian part. Im Malay. Not I donesian but cultures are close enough so is language.

Loll only China town is slightly biased don’t you think hahahah

In my country Singapore, we have the 4 racial district areas. Not really where ppl live but more of their cultures. Yes some can live there but its more of predominantly cultural aspect.

Sir Stamford Raffles assigned back in 1819 the 4 different races in Singapore which still upholds today.

Kampung Glam - For Arabs and Muslims predominantly
Geylang Serai - For Malays and Muslims predominantly
China Town - For Chinese Mainly
Little India - For Indians mainly
Clark Quay areas - For Eurasians

You can use these towns for inspiration.

Or like maybe in ur story the gov is like bias and tries to segmentise these asians to live near each other whereas in fact they can live anywhere we want.

If Modern Asians, we live in flats, condominiums, banglows and not confine to be near our racial areas.

Yes it is a bit :sweat_smile: but I had a hard time relating it to anything different… I live in America and my Dad is American but my Mom is Malay, but she doesn’t share to much of her past and culture with us other than cooking and some superstitions. Though I have been to Malaysia quite a few times to meet my Mom’s family! (I guess that makes me questionably qualified to answer Katherinee’s question, but I thought some knowledge is better than none and hopefully by me replying I would be able to keep this question at the forefront of the feedback page so other, more helpful people could see it) I have never been to Australia before in my life and I knew it wasn’t predominantly Asian so when I heard “Asian town” I kinda jumped toward that thinking of the China town in Chicago that I have been to. Guess my point is aside from all the rambling is I didn’t know there were different communities which is actually really cool. I thought was just America being racist and generalizing all Asians as Chinese hence “China Town”.

I can help with indonesian, im from Indonesia

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.