Your Episode Preferences

Hi !
My name is Em and for my school EPQ i have decided to create and code an episode story. I would greatly appreciate if you would take only a few minutes out of your day to answer this form which asks questions concerning your episode preferences.

Thankyou

link:

13 Likes

I did it:)

thankyou!!

Done <3

I’ve done it.

I did it.

Did it : )

Moved to Share Feedback since this is for story ideas/feedback. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Done!

Completed the doc :))

Done. :slight_smile:
I would like to offer some advice and helpful sites since this is a project for you:

Summary

Give yourself the time to plan and write. At the very least, you should have a basic draft/scene flow chart of some sort. Some people can write off the top of their heads and everything flows perfect, others not so much. But I think having a general idea of the beats and flow of your story makes the “seat of your pants” writing that much easier.

If you’ve never coded anything, it can get challenging the more advanced you want your story to look.
A good way to combat that potential frustration is to read and research. Dara-amarie.com has great templates, tips and guides for Episode coding with easy to follow explanations of how to code different things.
Joseph Evans’ Youtube channel. He has a literal TON of tutorials that starts at the very beginning and teaches you by showing what the code looks like (in portal view), preview view and he talks you through each step and explains when there’s more than one way to code something. He also runs episodelife.com which is a good place to find safe-to-use/already episode scaled backgrounds and overlays, as well as a few templates like horseback/car/motorcycle riding.

And a comment on customization: Most people like having the opportunity to make their character look like them. Some thoughts:

• If your character’s race/culture doesn’t affect any part of the story, I say give full custom and leave off art scenes. Customizing a character then seeing a different character look in an art scene can pull some readers out of a story and some quit because of it.
  • If culture/race matters: At MOST, offer limited and don’t allow people to change specific traits associated with their culture/race.
  • If you want your characters seen the way YOU make them, don’t feel pressured into adding CC just to get people to read it. Focus on making the story as well written/planned and coded as possible. There are people who say “I won’t read without CC” but a good bit of people are willing to overlook such things when a story is well written and interesting.

Lastly: Find at least one friend that’s willing to really watch your episodes and nit-pick them (missing punctuation, spelling errors, sliding characters, the weird frozen person who talks then freezes because they don’t have an “idle_animation”. Tell you when a pause is too long/short, etc.)

Nit-picking can be a bit annoying at times-- especially when you’re new to code and are excited about seeing things come together and you’ve watched every scene 100 times-- but remember that when we watch something over and over looking for big errors/awkward things, we tend to miss/overlook the little things. And try to keep in mind that your nit-picker is telling you every little thing they notice so that you can have the best story possible. :slight_smile:

Good luck with your project, and I’m sure it’ll turn out great. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just filled it out! I hope you’ll get enough of a response to come up with great ideas! : D

I did it <3

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.