Your Opinions on Romance and Relationships in Stories

Ok first off, do people even want romance?

Now, some more questions…

1. What types of romance do you think maybe is underrepresented?

2. What types of romance storylines do you guys want in a story?

3. What characteristics do you like the people in the relationship to have?

4. What types of romance do you absolutely hate? (feel free to go off in the comments :joy:)

5. Do you like the pacing to fast or slow (or depends – and why)

These are all the questions I can think of at the moment, but I may add more later! Feel free to add your own questions in the comments! Thank you to people who reply!

7 Likes

Your Questions =

4. What types of romance do you absolutely hate? (feel free to go off in the comments :joy:)

My Answers =

1. Realistic problems couples face during day-to-day life & teen parent lives (Teen parent lives are a lot harder than a lot of authors represent them as(I am not a teen mum but I see documentaries based off of real life teen mums and their struggles))

2. Enemies-Lovers/Hollywood Romances/Fantical Romances

3. No ‘toxic’/‘abusive’ characteristics, making the character have realistic flaws & characteristics

4. Mafia Romances (They’re often toxic or have a power imbalance), Teacher & Student Romances

5. Slow Burn (Not Whirlwind that goes so quick that I can’t remember milestones of a ‘normal’ relationship)

4 Likes
  • Yes! There’s still a lot of romance out there that hasn’t been written!

• Slow burns. Build up a friendship before a relationship is my advice.

• Slow burns and character development in both the MC and LI.

• Just a pure, genuine soul. I’m honestly kind of tired of the bad boy becoming good because of the girl or his actions being justified only because of his past. I rarely read romance stories where the LI starts off as a good person.

• The cocky LI, the total d* bag LI, the total overrated LI, the overly sexual LI.

• I like slow pacing. I think this helps build character development on each other, plus slow burns need slow pacing which is what my preference is
5 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply! I totally agree with everything! I would write a teen parent story, but I feel like it’s best that’s written by someone that actually experienced that or isn’t too lazy to do for research! It’s great to see other people like slow relationships because when the mc and li just kiss after a couple episodes it feels so rushed and unrealistic (I mean I’m sure it happens irl but idk :sweat_smile:) Thanks again!

3 Likes

Your Welcome (:

1 Like

I love how half your answers are slow burns :joy: because I totally agree! It’s honestly annoying to me when the characters havent even built a relationship and say I love you or something like that. Thank you for your opinions!

4 Likes

Lmao, my answer to everything should’ve just been “Just a slow burn relationship. Good Luck!”. But I agree.–And no problem :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I mean I write it so yes. :joy: But there are a lot of people who hate it.

Ones that don’t revolve around being physical with each other. Like I am not going to lie, I do sometimes like those stories but some people don’t like physical intimacy.

Don’t really know. I guess cute dates first before they get physical.

Being supportive of one another.

Ones that are clearly toxic and then readers post screenshots and say it is funny that the LI isn’t allowing her to wear anything. There are 14 year old people finding toxic LI’s hot and it is funny when they are controlling because of certain authors.

Middle pace not too fast but I will make exceptions like Troublesome Mr Wayne which is really slow burn but the author still makes it interesting.

2 Likes

Oh, thank god. I agree with this so much. Like there is no way it would form that fast plus it is cringy. And the nicknames they come up with as well. :woozy_face: It is so uncomfortable.

1 Like

Same :joy: I also sometimes like those stories, but I feel like (at least for me) I value like support and stuff like that (not physical things) more. Like of course there will be some physical stuff but in the relationships I like the base of the relationship is not only physical if that makes any sense!

This is something I really hate. Like it makes this seem “right” or “normal” and especially for younger people i assume it will teach them that this is ok and they may even try to be like the characters. However I am happy that there are several authors in the community who do a great job representing healthy relationships (though I do wish they aren’t sometimes overshadowed by toxic relationship stories)!

Enough with serious talk :joy: thank you so much for your reply!

2 Likes

Omg I just remembered I need to make a post on nicknames :joy: I find it so cringy sometimes, so I’m wondering what other people think about them. Like no nicknames or yes nicknames (and if yes nicknames what type??) I think it can be cute when its a special thing, but I don’t know what other people think about that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Nicknames can be cute sometimes but some authors go too far. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this isn’t about story ideas or reviews. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

ahhhhh idk!! i feel like enemies to lovers might be (?) i think i read such select stories so i wouldn’t really know what’s more represented over others :sweat_smile:

SLOW BURNSSS!!! i love slow burns more than anything! also characters that aren’t just attracted to eachother because of their body.

i love when they actually aren’t perfect like they fight sometimes it’s ok! also always always put in inside jokes/humor because it makes the characters feel more real, likable, and relatable.

mafia :face_with_hand_over_mouth: like i absolutely despise it. the only mafia story i’ve been able to get behind is the doberman and i will forever stand by that story because it’s so good.

slow! but not too slow because then i sometimes might get bored of the story if i feel like it genuinely isn’t going anywhere after 20 chapters. i think they should have little crushes (for lack of a better word) on each other at first but slowly start getting more comfortable with each other. or in other tropes’ cases (like enemies to lovers) they warm up to each other slowly.

2 Likes

Thanks for your answers!! I literally agree with everything you said! I’m so happy a lot of people like slow burns because that’s really what I want to (attempt to :joy:) write about. Also, I definitely agree with your opinion on mafias except for the doberman (I really liked that one as well). Anyways thanks again!

2 Likes

@M_H_C_Episode
I agree to all answers u hav said…esp the mafia relationship!!!
@Katyqoa this is my answer tooo haha😂

2 Likes

Honestly just the basic trust element of a relationship. In so many romance stories on the app, the MC & LI fall out over a tiny miscommunication that the MC won’t even give the LI a chance to explain. Seeing such a lack of trust and communication being normalised isn’t good, especially not for an app that’s targeted towards younger, possibly more impressionable readers.

Friends to lovers; enemies to lovers; a romance about people who’ve helped each other overcome stuff. Idk, these are just my faves & get me every time. <3

Honest, reliable, trusting of their partners, free-spirited, etc. But someone who can also admit that they have their faults, this is important for character development!

Polyamorous - I don’t have a problem with people doing this because I think we should be able to date who we want, but as someone who is extremely monogamous, I find it hard to relate to characters who date multiple people at one time. It’s also the reason I don’t read stories with more than one LI.
Relationships formed out of lust, with no obvious reason the MC would want to date the LI apart from their looks - a lot of characters in Episode Romance stories don’t have any reason to be together other than attraction. Of course this is important, but no relationship will last long if this is the only factor connecting them. It’s hard to ship two characters who don’t have anything in common.
Toxic relationships - for example, when the LI thinks they own the MC just because they’re dating (or vice versa) & act all possessive, but “it’s okay because they’re hot”. Like, seriously, ew.

Gimme that slowburn. :fire:

3 Likes

THIS^^^^

3 Likes

literally couldn’t have said it better myself :joy: Definitely agree with how lots of the relationships don’t have a lot of trust and support in general, so I definitely want to build that in my story the best I can. And while friends to lovers and enemies to lovers are kind of cliche, if written well I think they are great as well!

I totally am ok with people doing polyamorous relationships like you said, but especially since usually these stories are played as if we are the MC it sometimes just doesn’t align with me personally, so I usually stray away from those.

100% agree with just random LIs, like sometimes they just for no reason like them and then are able to build a strong relationship. Of course some relationships obviously can start from a physical attraction like you said, but its so weird when there’s nothing more than that (you definitely phrased it better than me :sweat_smile: ) And then of course toxic relationships are just no.

I also love slowburns because I despise it (i will literally stop reading) if the LI and MC just randomly kiss like dude no.

2 Likes

They’re totally cliché, however I’m a sucker for them & my unpublished story is a friends to lovers because I just can’t help myself!

Precisely!! :clap:t2:

I once read a story where the MC met the LI, then the next time they saw each other at a party, they kissed just because they found each other attractive. They’d literally had one conversation before. And these were the characters we were supposed to ship for the rest of the story :sob::sob::sob:

1 Like