Your Opinions On Strong Mental Topics?

What do you guys think about having a main character struggling through depression?

• I would prefer to avoid strong mental topics.
  • I soak those up like a sponge!
  • I mean, it’s whatever.
  • I HATE IT! GET THIS CRAP OUTTA HERE!

0 voters

Feel free to share your thoughts! x

I love those stories as long as it’s written by someone, or the author knows a person, who has gone through it.

1 Like

I agree. Me and my friend are actually struggling through depression right now (mine’s more mild than hers). I felt like I wanted to take a dive into a world that’s not much explored by others, so I decided to write about something that I honestly am going through myself!

3 Likes

I completely agree. The horribly inaccurate stories just make my skin crawl. Just… eugh.

1 Like

As both a psychology grad and someone with mental illnesses, I love accurate depictions of mental illness (keyword: accurate. Inaccuracy makes me want to throw my phone at the author). It’s good being able to relate to the character’s struggles, and can be a nice reminder that we’re not alone in this. Of course, it’s still good for the author to do research even if they’re experiencing it, since not everyone’s experience with depression is exactly the same (though personal experience is still an excellent place to start from). Best of luck to you!

8 Likes

Thank you for your opinion! I also completely agree.

1 Like

Ive read multiple depression stories and didnt like any of them.
They all start the same and cover all the same cliche symptoms of what ppl think depression is(wat they think when they hear it).
Most stories start off with MC being sad faced and then a self loathing textbox and an overuse of the crying animation. Idk i read mulitple stories on depression and cant relate at all.
No one talks about Anhedonia(feeling numb/lifeless/meh/everythings boring/nothinga fun) or how SI is not just cutting…idk…most seem melodramatic. I read one where the friend was depressed and then the next day they were “sassy”(insulting ppl) and that was suppose to be a good day for them. No one talks about depressed introverts/quiet ppl. When ppl write these stories its always from the POV of a loud extroverted person(NOTHING WRONG WITH THT) who changes into an introvert to show tht they r depressed or the “im smiling but inside im dying” type of works ive seen. Idk i try to find crap i can relate to but it all seems melodramatic and unrealistic or just stuff i cant relate to. Idk maybe im crazy and being dramatic

2 Likes

I’ve seen the same, and I honestly agree.

1 Like

Considering that I have it, and self-harm too, as long as the story’s not cliche or inaccurate, it’s all good. And mental illnesses can’t be cured through romance. Geez.

2 Likes

It is a difficult topic to handle respectfully, so I don’t usually seek them out, but if it’s done well I like stories that explore themes involving mental health.

3 Likes

Being somebody that has gone through and still struggles, I will love to. It’s whatever. Sometimes, reading stories like that helps.

Except for once… I dont want to see depression as a form of an illness. The truth is depression isnt an illness at all. It develops with time because of pain and strife that sometimes we dont know how to handle. Depressionis a hard habit to get out of though. I still struggle from it but, luckily, self-harming is over. I kind of regret it.

1 Like

Same…

1 Like

Hello Episodians! This is Sydney the Moderator. ;D

A lot of comments in this thread have been flagged off-topic and hidden. We ask that all the participants in a discussion remain on the topic of the discussion, as stated in the title and opening post. :wink: If you want to discuss something different, please make a separate topic in the appropriate category or take it to private messages. Thanks :smile:

Hi Sydney,

Can you explain what constitutes as off topic? The discussion stayed in the general topic of mental illness & it’s representation in episodes. Just a little confused.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Sydney’s right, this is getting off-topic. This is about our OPINIONS on strong mental topics, not ABOUT them. Thx kisses

Also, I go away for a WEEK and see a ton of flagged posts? Really? :anger: Take it to another post, girls and bois.

(also there are two forms of depression; sadness and clinical. Sadness isn’t a mental disorder, but Clinical Depression is. Having Clinical Depression affects your actions. It may develop over time, or you might not even know you have it until it’s taken over. Sadness is just like when someone dies, you’re sad and stuff. I’m not a professional, but I at least know this much.)

I’m confused now, because you say that it’s off topic to discuss about them…and in the next paragraph pretty much type the same consensus the off topic flagged posts were discussing? :joy: is it off topic or not?

I don’t get what constitutes as off topic on these forums, lol…

2 Likes

It’s okay. I was just trying to wrap up the off-topic stuff, so if I see another post on it Imma give them a hard time in the dms.

2 Likes