[Creator's Contest] Adventurous

For this contest, for any chapters beyond the original 3, yes, you can make changes (or even publish) before the winners are announced.

10 Likes

Thank you! :wink:

2 Likes

Hey I actually decided my character would be Chinese - Full blooded Chinese parents that immigrated to America when she was 3. Because of this backstory and the lack of Afro/Latino/White descent, do you think it would be okay just just pale/medium skin tones? I don’t want her to be a ‘black filler character’ (Character that is black but without black descent or any distinct nationality) that lots of stories have so they can claim they have diversity. I do have several black characters in my story but I want to make sure that by making my girl fully chinese I wouldn’t be offending any one. <3

Search up the the ancestry and First Chinese people and that’ll answer your question.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! It says that they originated near the yellow river in Asia and my character is Han Chinese:
Han Chinese people, the largest ethnic group in China, are often referred to as “Chinese” or “ethnic Chinese” in English.[6][3][4]The ethnic Chinese also form a majority or notable minority in other countries, and may comprise as much as 19% of the global human population.[7]

Well, no, I would never only say a “pure” Chinese person is “white” or “pale” because they weren’t just that or even that. So, yes, it is true that in history (in China/Korea/Japan), being seen as “pale” or with white skin is beautiful, but this was often faked. I believe there was a princess or empress who wanted this or had this a century or two ago. This is actually still believed to this day, a white skin-tone is something that many East Asian still like and try to achieve (mostly through makeup).
But, the first travellers (yes, many, from different) wrote about them being the “yellow” race, meaning pale/light yellow. That’s where the stereotype came from. There are also slightly darker skin tones than this, which originated from the Mongols (Mongolians).

As for your post about the Han Chinese people, or “ethnic Chinese”, I’m not sure where skin tone is in this. Yes, it says where they’re from and that they’re the majority, but not the colour of their skin.

4 Likes

Thank you! So do you think everything up to 04 would be appropriate or should I go even darker - (copper 00-01, rose 00-01 etc.)

You’re welcome, though it worries me that I had to do your research for you. I mean, if I researched then I could have given you specific dates and names, as I was going off information that I already knew. The fact that you trust others to do your research and not do it properly yourself, concerns me. If I were writing a culture piece (whether about my own nation or another’s), I would ALWAYS do my own THOROUGH research before even attempting to write anything. I’d hate to slander a country or nationality based on incorrect facts. … However, I guess, each to their own.

As for your skin tone choice, I would even go as high as 5-7, as many laboured long hours in the sun. But I don’t know the family you’re creating. I would also make sure to mention the whole skin tone thing to the readers in a creative way in the story.

4 Likes

Oh my goodness I am so sorry. I did not mean to come across as lazy. Truth be told, often I like to get responses from people who may have more experience with such topics. I researched the ancestry of the Chinese and found that the first were the Han people - It did not mention skin colour. Normally I would definitely research this more, but I couldn’t find much. But please accept my apology - I will definitely research more thoroughly in the future. Thank you for your help.

Also thank you, I will make darker tones part of the cc xx

2 Likes

It’s okay, and I’m glad to hear it. I said it because you don’t know where everyone online are truly from or their heritage. I, for one, am not of Chinese heritage at all. Though I do have many Chinese and mid to east Asian friends, am originally from a culturally diverse country, and used to live in South Korea… most of my knowledge comes from my own interest in doing my own research. :wink:

3 Likes

are you allowed to have character customization in an entry?

1 Like

Yes, of course. This is all the information on characters that they are asking for…

4 Likes

Thank you for your answers :slight_smile: I’ve read guidelines but I was curious if it counts when you don’t publish it. I am sure now :grin:

2 Likes

Can someone send me the link to the new male customization template for limelight.

Here: Dara's Character Customization Templates (INK & Limelight)

From there:

All CC templates are updated.

2 Likes

thx :sunglasses::blush::raised_hands:

1 Like

yeah.

3 Likes

HAHAHA! This was already answered! :wink:

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

I don´t think this should offend anyone…

I mean if you as a writer want to make the storyline according to the MC´s look/ethnicity, it´s your story and you can make it whatever you want! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If the overall story contains different races I think it´s good.

I don´t think every story has to have full customization.

Does ANYONE agree? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes