Diversity FAQs for the Confused

Does anyone know a place where I can learn about different sexualities?

That’s a difficult question because the list of sexualities is always growing and changing as people seek out new words to identify themselves :slight_smile:

But Unite UK do update the official list once a year

Also I have another post here with people who could help!

5 Likes

Thanks!!

1 Like

I agree. There’s a (big) lack of diversity (unfortunately :disappointed:).
I do not know what about you, but for some reason :roll_eyes:, it seems to me like there are some things that many, and I mean many authors repeat them over and over again (I do not know if I am right or not, but that’s how it seems from my point of view).
In my eyes, authors hardly diverst not only with characters, but with the story’s main idea - there are way too much bad boy, whole gang thing stories. I admit that I liked it at first, but at some point it became boring, because the same idea repeats itself over and over again :roll_eyes: :unamused:, until I told myself: “that’s it. I am done with it. Any story with bad boys, gang and has no diversity - I am out” and decided to write a story by myself (which I haven’t published yet)
I believe that some authors have been told that they should make more diversity in their stories, but from my side I do not see that some of them even care about this subject :expressionless: :roll_eyes:.
As a Jewish person, I think it would be great to see more Jewish characters (even as MC) and as a person and reader I think authors should add more characters that their religion will be another one (in addition to Christianity) such as: Muslims, Buddhist, Hindu, or in general characters belonging to different cultures.
But, as I said, it is only my point of view, so maybe I might be wrong :woman_shrugging:t4:

I hope I did not go off topic :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

I forgot to say, it is nice of you that you do those things (explaining things) - I find it helpful, especially for those who wants to write a story :blush:.

1 Like

Yeah. Frankly, there’s a big lack of religions on Episode, including Christianity

2 Likes

Well, I thought that most of the stories’ MCs in Episode are Christians :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. But if the lack diversity includes Christianity, then It’s already exaggerated :roll_eyes: :expressionless: and to think that authors do not add Muslim and Jewish characters, which is pretty rare.

1 Like

I don’t know about that… I’ve probably read only three stories, mine included, where the MC is a practicing Christian. In most Episode stories, religion/faith is rarely mentioned, if ever.

2 Likes

The main reason that I decided to write a story by myself is the lack of diversity (I haven’t published the story yet). But it is only one of a few reasons.
It is better done than said.

Yeah most Episode stories don’t have religion in them at all. When Christianity is mentioned, it’s often about some crazy, weird Christian group that treats the MC badly or that she needs to escape from.

3 Likes

Oh, man :expressionless:.
Seriously, what’s the problem with investing in characters? What’s the problem with diversifying :roll_eyes:?
Even authors who added diversity in their stories by adding characters from other religions or/and cultures (and minority ones) did not put much effort onto them. It is one of the things that disappoint me and if they create a POC character (includes minority) or two, they just do it in a negligent manner and do not even try to research and put an effort.

Believe me that I know some authors will never add POC characters in their stories at all and their try to look for reasons why not to :roll_eyes: is ridiculous.

In short, the word “diversity” does not exist in the dictionary of some writers :roll_eyes: :unamused:

2 Likes

Did it really happened :expressionless:?
If I were the author of the story that the picky reader said it about, then I would have told him/her that if he/she has got a problem with me adding diversity, then he/she can go to look for a story which has no diversity and that’s all.
I do not understand why would an author remove a diversity in his/her story just because one reader did not like it, for god’s sake :roll_eyes: :expressionless:?

If someone had tried to do this thing that the picky reader did to the author just to annoy me :anger:, I’d have blocked him/her with no arguements - and closed case.

2 Likes

Bump

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

Thank you so much for this thread.

2 Likes

Haha I’m glad it’s useful :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bump

1 Like

bump