Entitled Behaviour Among Readers - HELP!

I don’t hope entitled readers upon anyone, frankly. Constructive criticism is helpful. Demands are toxic. I hope we can grow as a community and realise the difference between people trying to help and people demanding special treatment.

It’s difficult for me to block people because I want them to know I’ve heard them, but it seems like I’ll have to start. sigh

1 Like

Plain and simple, you have no obligation to let people who make those sort of demands know you hear them. I think it’s hard for a lot of us (myself included) to admit that those types of fanmail can get to us. However, it’s perfectly human for our psyche and morale to start to take a hit after awhile. The block button is one of the best things Episode gave us, and as long as it’s used in moderation, there’s nothing wrong with using the block button if you feel you’re being harassed by a reader. It doesn’t make you ungrateful (as some readers will try to say) or thin skinned. We have to protect our morale because once that’s chipped away at, we start to lose motivation to write. I say hit that block button and don’t look back.

7 Likes

I can understand how annoying those types of comments would be, even though I’ve yet to publish a story. It’s so gross to see people in fanmail trying to tell the author how to write their story. Even worse, when people say ‘you owe it to your fans!!!’ Like, the author doesn’t owe anyone anything.

2 Likes

I feel like I need to use this to rant a little more…

…So I’m overcoming some pretty serious anxiety and depression and it’s been affecting my writing schedule. So, in one of my more recent chapters, I thought it was time to be upfront with my readers about what was going on with me in my life and gave them a brief explanation followed by a choice to read more about what has been wrong with my writing schedule recently. I gave them a choice so that they can focus on the fact that I’m giving them an explanation and it draws attention to that fact, so they can’t just click through without reading. Choices make you stop and properly read, after all.

However, after the next chapter, which I was fretting to release for all my readers who like my story, someone said “can you like… not wait in between updates? It’s unnecessary”.

I find that really rude, especially considering the fact that I took so long to apologise and explain my predicament. I sincerely hope that they didn’t read that I have anxiety and depression, or that would be incredibly selfish, inconsiderate and rude that they’re demanding for me to continue my story when I’m trying my best.

I’m really not a story monkey!

7 Likes

I just couldn’t help myself.

1 Like

I seriously don’t understand not liking my character Theo. I understand preferring Vince (to some extent. He’s still a nasty piece of work at the moment and needs a lot of character development). I mean, if you like being verbally abused by your love interest, by all means, choose Vince right now. But disliking Theo? He’s a nice guy.

People can act so entitled it’s unbelievable. They seem to forget that I’m not writing this story for them personally. If they can’t handle sophisticated stories with character development that results in an actually legitimate, healthy relationship with someone who used to be mean, maybe they should go and add to the millions of stories about borderline abusive relationships on Episode.

And it’s supposed to be my fault that they made the CC love interest an “ugly rat”?

7 Likes

Sorry you’re going through this! It’s really tough when people try to tell you how to write your story. I wish people would understand they may not like everything the author does, but it’s still the author’s story. The easiest thing to do is to stop reading, not send hate mail but everyone is different.

Wishing you the best with your anxiety and depression because I know how it feels. hugs :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for this! Entitled readers can really spoil the writing experience a lot. I’m so glad there are lovely, supportive people out there like you!

3 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

I hope that you feel better soon! :kissing_heart:
- Lots of love from - ken

1 Like

Thanks Ken! You’re so wonderful! I wish readers in my fanmails could be so supportive (some are, I won’t deny).

1 Like

No problem! Let me read one of your stories, so I can give you nice fan mail. :smiley:

1 Like

Haha you don’t have to do that! But thanks :smiley:

1 Like

I just read the first episode of The Queen of freaks. It was confusing. Is constructive criticism fine with you?

I’m always happy to get constructive criticism!

(I’m also very aware of the fact that I’ve improved a lot as a writer from the first episode, haha. It does get better!)

1 Like

I’ll keep reading it soon. :grin:

1 Like