Episode Writer Portal: Errors & The Fixes

HOW TO: HAVE AN ERROR-FREE SCRIPT!

Hi!
Errors play a big role in the Writer Portal as they tell you what is wrong with your script. However, they can be really confusing and irritating when you cannot work out where you went wrong.

ERROR 1: MISSING PLACE: PLACE NAME HERE

This error means the background you are attempting to use in your script does not exist.
If this error should appear in your script, head into The Art Catalog and select a new background by copying and pasting into your script.
Save the script, and the error should disappear.

ERROR 2: EXPECTED DIALOGUE, DID YOU FORGET TO CAPITALISE?

This confusing error has a surprisingly simple fix.
Like the error suggests, you probably simply haven’t capitalized the first letter of your dialogue. Simply locate the dialogue that has a lowercase letter to start, capitalize it, and save. The error should disappear.

ERROR 3: UNEXPECTED DIALOGUE: The dialogue with an error here

This usually means that something has happened before the dialogue to make the script not expect to see it. Such as, open parenthesis, (), no character name, and proper indentation. Check all of these, and re-save. The error should go, and you should be ready to carry on writing.

ERROR 4: MISSING CHARACTER: The misspelled/made up character name here

This usually means that the character name you have added onto dialogue is misspelled or it simply doesn’t exist. Check the name of the character, edit it and then save. The error should go once you have done so.

ERROR 5: BEHAVIOR DOES NOT EXIST FOR CHARACTER NAME HERE

This means that the animation you have selected for your character is not available.
This usually depends on the gender. You can choose a new animation, and it should work. Make sure the animation you select is available for the gender of your character, by opening the character animation menu and filtering through. Animation Catalog.

ERROR 6: NO ACTION MATCHES TEXT HERE

This means the direction you have typed does not exist. You can tap the error and the script helper will automatically take you to the site of the error and you will be able to see the mistake you have made. This should be a relatively easy fix.

THANKS FOR READING MY HELP TOPIC.
Now you can rid yourself of those pesky errors, with ease.

~Ella

4 Likes

Hi!

Could you help me out? I can’t seem to get rid of an error.

Let me know, please!

I’m very late with responding, but you have to put your character’s name above the dialoge, otherwise it won’t work.

Hey! I’m more than happy to help.
Any chance of you sending me a screenshot of what is coming up in your error box if you are still having this problem.

Thanks!

~ Ella

There should also be no space between the word ‘choice’ and the dialogue in the choice box :slight_smile:
~ Ella