OPINIONS NEEDED | Introducing a character

Hey! I know a lot of people really dislike character introductions for the MC’s friend like, “This is my best friend sally, she is 18 years old, shes so funny, shes been my best friend since forever… etc!”

I want to introduce one of my MC’s best friends, but I want to shorten down. But, I don’t know how to write it without it sounding too much. So, what kind of introduction would you guys like to read?

3 Likes

alot of stories do facetime calls, or scenes when theyre hanging out, but you can also show that theyre best friends through their dialogue (if theyre hanging out or calling)
‘Oh my gosh remember when we were younger i got mad because you had another best friend?’
‘You will always be my only best friend, (name)’
‘I better be!’
This is a little bit basic but hopefully you get what i mean. Just dont use narration, is what im trying to imply!

2 Likes

Honestly, that’s a really good idea compared to what I have put! I have just wrote, "This is one of my bestfriends, Jhene, she’s like a sister to me.
She’s been there for me through thick and thin, and I’ll forever be grateful for her. "

1 Like

But you can also make them have a phone call together and the MC is looking at a photo of them together looking a little bit sad, saying
‘I miss you, (name)’
‘Cmon, not seeing your best friend for a few days isnt the end of the world!’
‘It sure is when it comes to you.’
Or something like that.
Quick question: is your story based in a school? Because i have a great idea which is related to school!

I would definitely advise against saying “This is my best friend, she’s ___” because it feels like you don’t trust the readers to figure out who she is based on her actions and behavior. You can establish a lot about a character through subtle dialogue, personality traits coming out in situations or conversation, etc.

2 Likes

It is based in a school, I’ve made the opening scene their last period until summer break starts and they get to leave to go to collage!

1 Like

Yeah, that makes sense! I didn’t want to put “This is my best friend…” But, I had no idea what to use as an alternate. Thank you so much for your advice!

2 Likes

Omg!
One of your characters
(Either the Mc or the best friend)
Can come in alone and the teacher can say
‘Wheres (name)? You are always here together’ or you can just say ‘Wheres (name)?’

Showing that the mc and the best friend are seen together so much its almost unusual that theres only one of them there.

And either the best friend or mc answers where they are and/or can make a sarcastic comment saying ‘shes very excited to be in your lesson.’ Suggesting that the mc or best friend knows the other person well enough that they know the other person doesnt like the teachers lessons.
But im not sure this ones that good because some people wouldnt really think about what the teacher meant

1 Like

That is such a good idea! I don’t know if it would would in the scene that I have made, but I can definitely use it in my second scene to introduce another character, thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Your welcome! Tag me when your story/chapter is out so i can see it in action :yum:

1 Like

I defo will!! Thank youu :blob_hearts: :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Personally, I love stories that introduce characters organically instead of narration. Like have them hang out. Maybe a flashback scene to where they become friends?