Opinions on full cc for my story? [POLL]

Hello,
I’m currently writing a story and I’m giving the player the option to fully customize the characters. However, there are art scenes that are going to use the default characteristics. There are also going to be references to the original characteristics of the main character and love interest (eye color, skin color, hair color) from other characters in the story. I’m also doing some limb overlays with the default characteristics. Should I include full customization? Or should I do partial customization? Thanks!

What customization should I do?

• Full customization with a mention of art scenes and references to original characteristics
  • Limited customization so player can’t change skin tone
  • Limited customization so player can’t change hair color
  • Limited customization so player can’t change hair color, skin color, or eye color
0 voters
2 Likes

I don’t mind what you do. ( :laughing: sounds worser than I mean. :face_with_peeking_eye: No offense, darling.) As long as I love the storyline of your story I don’t give a sh*t if you have CC or no CC. But with art scenes it’s better to use limited CC (or even no CC). When you do the last option tell the reader why you don’t CC, give a valid reason for no CC. And if you use full CC, please no whole chapter for CC LI and/or MC. And don’t drag the whole family into a full-CC, when the LI and MC are the only ones that are main characters. For example I will not read further than episode one if I get to CC the whole family and a CC for grandpa, when grandpa dies in next episode after seeing grandpa once.

1 Like

Unless it is absolutely necessary for the story to make sense, I wouldn’t limit cc. It’s just not worth the negativity you’ll get in the “fanmails” in my opinion. Readers are used to being able to customize, and they are quite opinionated when they can’t. :see_no_evil:

And then as you say, mention the art scenes and the descriptions of the default features.

If you use limb overlays, consider using 3 different shades, so readers can pick a shade that is somewhat similar to the skin tone they like to choose.

1 Like

I know I’ll get hate comments after this but please try to understand my point of view maybe one day you’ll change your mind about this: :white_heart:

With all due respect but readers who are just judging the story and type hate comments on fanmails only because “Characters appearance” are disappointing (I’m so sorry)

Authors put LOTS of effort while writing the story they trying their best to come out with the best plot, with amazing and advanced directing and all the readers care about is “The appearance” I don’t get it why the readers want all the characters look exactly the same ESPECIALLY I’m talking about the storytelling type. The characters look like that for a reason not all the characters must be HoT and AmAzInG at all and also not all characters must have THAT amazing and wonderful and no mistake in personality that doesn’t exist in real life. I know it’s just a game but still I don’t get that thinking of making all the characters the same look and hot characters in EVERY STORY! I can understand readers who want customization in fantasy story or more interactive story with mini games and stuff.
But I guess for me I’ll never put FULL CUSTOMIZATION in my story maybe in the future I can put limited customization

But I really feel sooooo disappointed when I see hate comments on AMAZING story with awesome plot and directing just because there’s no CC . That’s NOT fair at all

1 Like

Another point I forgot to talk about is making characters look like YOU and in the story plot for example, the character is cheating maybe, the readers are like “I’LL NEVER DO THAT” Okay…? We know that but the story isn’t about you that’s all work of imagination and story telling that’s all

1 Like

No, I totally agree with you. :heart: You won’t get any hate from me!

Writers should absolutely be able to design their characters how they want, and they can. They can choose to not include any cc.

Here on the forums a lot of us know what it takes to write a story and the love for our characters, so majority are more understanding of the choice of no cc/limit. But that unfortunately doesn’t stop the word-vomit people will write to you, if you choose no cc/ limit skintone in the fan mails & Instagram.

Some messages are nice enough, just asking. Others aren’t.

And personally I just believe in setting up the best criteria for getting positivity thrown your way, as opposed to negativity. I found that it really upset me when I was writing, and it was very demotivating to see a new message only for it to be some crap about the way I designed my character.

That’s why I suggest people add full cc. :heart:

I hardly ever cc myself. I like to read how the author intended.

3 Likes

For me I don’t mind CC or no CC (as I mentioned before :roll_eyes::sweat_smile:). I also can love reading a story without CC and without choices, when the storyline captivates me. Usually I don’t change much when there’s CC in a story. :smirk: For me it’s more important how the author sees the MC and LI as a character. So, I agree with your point of view. But to add a note: rather have a well written story with amazing directing, none or few choices and a great story-line, than a story with a crappy storyline, full CC for each character (side and main characters) and 10 nonsense choices in each chapter. :clown_face:

By the way negative comments in fanmails? If you give a valid reason why you don’t CC and they still complain :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Just do limited CC. It’s a good compromise that allows the readers to edit the characters without them veering away from how you imagined them. I personally despise Full CC’ing myself into a story, it feels strange and I like to see what authors want their MC to look like .

1 Like