Script help/ tips and tricks

Hi! So I am writing a fantasy story that includes angels, and I was trying to find something that has a light appear every time an angel “poofs into the scene.” Maybe like a lighting dot or a light ring. Something similar to the photo I attached. Making it look like the light is entering into a scene.

IMG_4914

Here’s a bunch of already-transparent-background pngs. If you pick one that’s too large for the portal (over 1mb), use tinypng.com to compress with minimal if any quality loss.

If you want to hid them behind a ball of light or puff of smoke, layer your new overlay one layer above the character.
Example:
&CHARACTERANGEL spot 1.280 54 350 in zone 2 at layer 0
&overlay SMOKEPUFF to layer 1
^one layer above the character.

If you decide on a beam of light for them to come down in (like floating down in a ray of light):
1st - upload 2 copies of the light beam overlay or use the create code to duplicate it in your script (@overlay NAME create from ORIGINALOL and overlay NAME opacity 1 ((so you can see the copy, add an opacity 1 to the create code :slight_smile: )) )

Then when you code it, you will want to layer one of the overlays behind the character and one above the character layer so that the effect also shows on your angel.

Example:
&CHARACTERANGEL spot 1.280 54 350 in zone 2 at layer 0
&overlay LIGHT to layer 1
&overlay LIGHT_2 create from LIGHT and overlay LIGHT_2 to layer -1 and overlay LIGHT_2 opacity 1

• You can go back and adjust the opacity after you’ve gotten its coordinates. :slight_smile: hope this helps. You can check out dara-amarie.com and Joseph Evans (on YouTube) - He has an Episode Tutorial playlist that covers everything. :slight_smile:
3 Likes

What she said! :+1:t2::+1:t2:

I used the same overlay opacity techniques for my hyperspace portals in Star Signs. It’s just a matter of tweaking it until the effects look to your satisfaction.

EXT. STARS - NIGHT

@overlay HYPERSPACE create
@overlay HYPERSPACE opacity 0
@zoom on 0 0 to 100% in 0
@overlay 6295484359704576_HYPERSPACE shifts to 161 284 in zone 1
@overlay 6295484359704576_HYPERSPACE scales to -0.500 -0.500
@overlay 6295484359704576_HYPERSPACE moves to layer 5
@pause for 0.1
@overlay HYPERSPACE opacity 0.25
@pause for 0.1
@overlay HYPERSPACE opacity 0.5
@pause for 0.1