Stop glorifying topics/characters that shouldn't be glorified

while stories are technically fictional and can be quite unrealistic, imaginary, etc., they can also have a message and the ability to hurt and offend.

first of all, if you’re one of those people that use the excuse of “iF yOu DoN’t LiKe It, DoN’t ReAd It” for virtually everything, sit back. it’s not always about simply not liking a story. sometimes stories will be straight-up problematic and/or inappropriate. there are just some lines you shouldn’t cross, even in literature. for instance, on what planet is glorifying and romanticizing bullies, gangsters, kidnappers, rapists, stalkers and other similar characters acceptable? it isn’t “cute”, much less “romantic”, and not even close to okay. as someone who’s been through bullying and assault, i’d be damned if i read a story where the offender was a love interest or generally presented in any glorified/romanticized way. you can’t just proceed with writing about that in this manner and think it’s acceptable just because it’s fiction.

you also don’t just throw in a “hot”, “sexy” criminal and use their damned looks to excuse or diminish the impact and consequences of their behavior. THEIR APPEARANCE DOESN’T MATTER! they’re a sick bastard that deserves to be locked in a cell and/or get help, “hot” or not, and not someone who becomes your mc’s soulmate and eventually baby daddy or anything of the sort. just ask yourself if you’d still be willing to romanticize an identical character that’s visually less appealing. i’m certain your answer would be no, so you shouldn’t make differences based on looks alone.

back to stories, your story has the potential to hurt and offend. not only that, keep in mind that episode is pretty much populated by gullible minors who are vulnerable to such messages (even if you’re a teenager yourself who believes they’re not that impressionable – you might be smart and educated, but you’re still susceptible to some degree). let’s teach them that serious topics like these shouldn’t be glorified or taken lightly.

keep in mind that just because something isn’t offensive or problematic to you doesn’t mean it won’t be to someone else, especially someone who’s been through such hardships.

also, all stories need realistic elements to an extent. otherwise the story makes no sense and is unreadable. stop using the excuse that stories are “pure fiction”.

59 Likes

You’re definitely right on this one. There’s many minors on this platform who are easily influenced. And they’re minors for a reason-- that’s because they aren’t mature cognitively. And it’s not even that they can just stop reading because people don’t know what they’re reading about until they get farther into the story.

16 Likes

exactly. hell, if i read episode at 13, i’d be influenced by all of the crap these authors write about. i’d end up losing touch with reality. such content is basically showcasing and teaching minors that an appealing exterior is a valid excuse for one’s sinister actions, even against them.

this is all so easily preventable, but no, some authors just want clout. they take advantage of their “power” as a big author because they know they’re more likely to get away with it than someone who’s not as big as them in the community. again, it’s sick.

12 Likes

You’re completely right. Stories can offend ppl and global issues like fetishizing or anything else Like that for that matter shouldn’t be in a story. Especially when most of the readers on episode are minors.

6 Likes

I know! I’m also someone who’s been through assault and it’s not nice to read a story where the offender is a love interest. I actually haven’t read any stories where this has happened, but I would be absolutely repulsed!! like that’s not okay that brings back really bad memories for me.
I’m a minor, but I’m very mature and responsible. whenever I read an Episode story, I make sure it’s actually good. I mean I do read mafia and gang stories and I enjoy them, i just stick with the ones that are good.
There are good mafia/gang stories on here, it’s hard to find them, but there are. I don’t know why everyone hates them. I’m a sucker for Scarface and Goodfellas. I’ve read Wiseguy and I Heard You Paint Houses many, many times.
I totally agree with you on everything though. 100% support!!!

5 Likes

I definitely agree. It may be stored into a reader’s subconscious.

1 Like

I agree! Especially since in the app store, Episode is a rated 12+ app.

2 Likes

i’m personally not a fan of mafia stories, but i’ve read some that had interesting elements while keeping them appropriate. for instance, a mafia story where both characters are from mafia backgrounds is a different setting than those stories that straight up romanticize gangsters when the mc is a regular person. that’s the shit i won’t read nor support.

6 Likes

Yep, those are the mafia stories I read! Not everyone is a fan of mafia stories lol
I just don’t think that Episode should support those stories, you know?
They should try to be promoting less of those stories

3 Likes

Yeah. I get that people like them and read them, but I feel like Episode should put up a bigger warning for it, or just rate their app honestly and give it at least a 14+ (cause not all the stories are bad). I agree! They should have less of those stories in their featured section.

3 Likes

Yeah! I started playing Episode in middle school. I was like twelve when I started playing for fun. All of my friends did it so I did. Now I’m in high school and I love it so much, but over the years the featured stories have really made the app suck. The stories are so damn cliche and it’s annoying because all of them are literally the same!!
Also, they should up the rating to maybe 13 or 14+ I agree with that. and yeah not all the stories are bad.
I remember when like Secret of the Rain was super popular or the Mean Girls one. I mean that one has got to be my favorite one lmaoo
It was my brother’s favorite (he loves Mean Girls a tonnn)

4 Likes

I was introduced by a friend to Episode in 5th grade! So I was probably 11!! Good thing I was mainly surrounded by the more “appropriate” stories. At that time, stories like Mean Girls and Secret of Rain were popular, so things like that were what I read, and I enjoyed them. I totally agree about what you said about the featured stories! The originals are always so much better, because the author is made to change their story to fit Episode’s standards, which makes the story more cliche, stereotypical, and kind of stupid at times (especially due to the gem choices).

3 Likes

Yeah!! If an author’s story becomes featured, congrats to them, but Episode needs to make some changes or else there’s going to be so much backlash to them.

3 Likes

since the age rating is evaluated by the app store’s terms, the rating can either be 12+ (PG-13) or 17+ (R-rated).

4 Likes

Oh okay I see!

1 Like

Fucking PREACH!

6 Likes

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

5 Likes

when i read episode as young teen, it inspired me to write stories about the mafia and douchey MC’s and annoying things like that.

a lot of these authors don’t realize the type of example their stories set for others.
younger people are easily swayed into thinking bad topics are okay, when they are NOT.

i remember reading stories about mafia leaders and thinking - wow, this is so romantic and cute, when in reality it wasn’t.

the worst part about this?
episode promotes BS like that.

12 Likes

I completely agree :(( I was reading a story that explicitly romanticized stock hold syndrome, but it was okay because the kidnapper was hot!!! I stopped reading it - I just hate the romanization of abuse/unhealthy relationships on episode

5 Likes

exactly my point!

i’m fucking tired of shit being justified just because the guy is “hot”. again, if he was ugly, he’d be a complete creep and no one would want him alive. the double standards are sickening.

6 Likes